5.0 out of 5 stars Pc Tools strikes again!
I'm not sure what's happened with PC Tools. I really didn't like the 2009 releases.
Now with 2010 versions, things seem to be running far better! Maybe it's because I'm on Vista and not XP, but regardless, I am impressed.
I'm quite a Norton fan, but this really gives it a run for it's money, and it's cheaper!

The initial installation took a...
Published on 6 Jan 2010 by Russtafarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers everything!
Published on 17 Feb 2010 by J Cattermole

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers everything!, 17 Feb 2010
This review is from: PC Tools Internet Security 2010, 3 PC Licence (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is for the money a fabulous security suite. It's basically a higher quality anti-virus under a different name and cheaper, so ticks for all those boxes! It is very quick to install, though it didn't instantly boot when I inserted it, but possibly my own computer playing up, so had to enter to drive etc, but that was no problem and installed quickly and smoothly from there. Re-started the computer afterwards but my only gripe is, unfortunately it does seem to be running slower than usual, not a lot more, but just slightly, enough to notice.

Did a thorought scan initially and immediately it found a lot of things that should be removed etc, so that was a satisfying feeling and you know it's doing it's job. Has several advanced settings and things which are beyond me really,, and the everyday casual user probably really doesn't need to know about as it's default settings seem to do everything. There is a bonus gamer mode though, which is fantastic for my son who doesn't want interruptions when he's trying to play his video games and we have in the past bought specific gamer mode programs, so to have it included is a fantastic feature in itself.

All in all a very good efficient anti-virus, it runs quite quietly in the background after the initial installation and scans, very highly recommended and a real bargain compared to som of the equally efficient packages at more than double the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget AV solution, 28 Jan 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product provides anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall and spam protection. The installation is easy and the product was installed quite quickly. It is compatible with Vista, XP, and Windows 7. Once installed it does delay boot up of your PC by a few seconds, and sometimes it appears that the speed overall of the PC was slower. However, it is customisable and has plenty of options. What a few people do not realise is that it is owned by Symantec, who are a major power in Anti Virus (they also own Norton). Whilst I was using this product it stopped a couple of viruses that tried to get onto my computer, and since it has three licenses, I was able to install it on my desktop and laptop.

I would recommend this to anyone who is after a decent security package, especially if you have multiple machines to protect as it is very reasonable for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Security Suites, 13 Jan 2010
Mel - London - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not used a Pctools product before, but I understand they are now produced by Symantec. That explains the distinct similarities between IS 2010 and Norton IS 2010. We have virtually all the same functions as Norton, and most of the annoying quirks as well (endless idle time scans, over sensitive firewalls etc). However, for some reason this software is considerably cheaper, which would seem to indicate you are paying quite a large premium for the Norton name. Since this works just as well, I would certainly recommend giving it a go, and saving yourself some money. No problem with installation, and apart from the minor but annoying quirks listed above, there is no real downside. Does it's job very efficiently, so I can definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pc Tools strikes again!, 6 Jan 2010
Russtafarian (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The initial installation took a respectable amount of time, and the updates don't take too long at all.
It's runs pretty comfortably in the background, and hasn't caused me any issues when playing games or working on Photoshop.
It's pretty simple to use, which is what anyone wants, really, so you can literally install and leave it alone... it's been protecting my machine for over a month and I've never had an issue.

If you're finding your wallet a little stretched but need some protection, I would suggest you spend you cash on this.
Even if money isn't tight, I would suggest you give this a go.
My only grudge is that it doesn't seem to do anything different when compared to Vipre or Norton, but then again do you really care if it does what it should? Probably not.

Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive features and good value, 15 Jan 2010
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Australia based PC Tools is now part of the mighty Symantec Corporation, owners of Norton products amongst others. There is actually a complete article on Wikipedia entitled list of mergers and acquisitions by Symantec if you want to check out how far their empire now stretches!

PC Tools is perhaps best known for its Spyware Doctor and the latest version of that software forms part of this Internet Security 2010 package. Also included are the features of the PC Tools AntiVirus programme, along with a couple of additional utilities exclusive to this product. I have previously used earlier versions of both Spyware Doctor and Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus and found them fairly good at what they did, but eventually replaced them with other products which I found more manageable and less resource hungry. For about the last year I have used Sunbelt's VIPRE software and find it suits my needs pretty well.

Although Symantec said that PC Tools would continues as a separate entity there seem to be other influences involved in this latest version of their software, which is now a bit different to what I have used previously. It is still more resource hungry than the VIPRE I've been using, and has a number of features that I don't really need.

However, Amazon are currently offering PC Tools Internet Security 2010 for less than half the RRP and that does make it worthy of consideration if you are looking to protect up to three PCs. It is compatible with Windows 7 - also Vista & XP - and does offer a lot of features for your money - check Product Description and Product Features on Amazon product page. This is much better value than Symantec's similar Norton products - and hopefully without Norton's annoying features!

There is a lot of competition in this market but this offering from PC Tools stands up to the alternatives pretty well in terms of value and features. I will probably return to VIPRE at some point myself, but I am happy that PC Tools is keeping me safe meanwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every bit as good as the rest, but cheaper, 24 Jan 2011
Mr. A. Mcgregor "Alex" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this as an alternative to McAfee which I've been using for years but which is starting to get a bit intrusive. I have used this package for a few months now and I must say it has hugely surprised me. At a fraction of the price of similar products I wasn't expecting miracles, but it not only delivers user friendliness that is better than anything else I have tried, and all the functionality you could need for a home PC. Absolutly outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars pc tools security 2010, 20 Nov 2010
PC Tools internet security is an excellent easy-to-use product that covers all your needs in protecting your computer. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a security suite without wanting any hassle in setting up this kind of product. If I can use it, anyone can!!!! Cannot reccommend enough EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good on balance, 27 Aug 2010
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been rather impressed in the past with other software solutions from the PC Tools range, which have a tendency to be affordable & effective with well laid-out menu systems. And IS 2010 certainly has a strong CV in some areas - for one thing, it contains ThreatFire, a respected behavioural detection engine. Plus yes, I did indeed find the basic settings to be very clearly laid out & easy to use but the layout of the advanced settings became somewhat more complex & I felt compelled to use them because a few of its defaults were set to the 'low' protection setting. And as many other users have reported, it did slow my PC's boot time a little. I also found the Firewall options to be somewhat limited but in fairness, I've also found this with a number of other respected internet security packages.

Like any IS/AV software, IS 2010 sits in the background chugging away but for the everyday user, it's hard to gauge how effectively it's performing. According to the experts, it offers exception protection against malware & its Browser Defender is highly effective when it comes to identifying malicious web code on dodgy and/or virus-infected websites. However, it's not the most effective software for picking up viruses or phishing sites, although personally I feel the best protection against phishing is to educate users to be vigilant & avoid using links in emails (although we all make mistakes).

So it's swings & roundabouts, really - it's a nice little package which performs excellently in some areas, while being less effective than other IS packages in others. As such, I'd primarily recommend it to anyone who is more concerned with malware than anything else or someone like my mum for example, who would benefit from the simple to use interface & if need be, can ask someone else to set up the more difficult to navigate advanced features for them. If they can improve their virus capture rate, IS 2011 could be a serious competitor for the big boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safety and Security for All The Family, 20 Aug 2010
Graeme Wright "book worm" (salford) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I am more in the habit of reviewing books and music this is something of a new venture for me. Firstly I am no computer expert - I know how to switch it on (and off) and can surf the 'net with consumate ease. Fortunately I have a naturally suspicious attitude so any questionable e mails, links, attachments etc which appear on the screen are given as wide a berth as possible.
PC Tools Internet Security 2010 makes this all the more easy to achieve and can be used on up to three computers at the same address. It is quick and very easy to install and runs effortlessly and innocuously in the background. Personal settings can be made for periodical scans and filters can be altered to suit for e mail, spam and blocked senders. Updates seem readily available and again run in the background and are non intrusive to any work in progress. All in all this is as good an anti virus and general computer security package as any I have tried from the likes of Norton and McAfee but at a more sensible price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product - works well, 14 April 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Installed onto a WIN XP system. Installed easily. Minimum fuss. Works Well. Run this in the backgound continuously. No slow-down of computer noticed. Updates are picked up on a ongoing basis. I think this product is excellent and essential. All funtions as expected. Dont go on the internet without using this product or similar. 10/10.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

PC Tools Internet Security 2010, 3 PC Licence (PC CD)
PC Tools Internet Security 2010, 3 PC Licence (PC CD) by PC Tools (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock