4.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written
As a blogger myself I was really interested to see what happens to a blogger who gets propelled to the literary stratosphere. I had read some of the blog but not all, and was not really sure what to expect from the book.

Published on 11 Aug. 2008 by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

3.0 out of 5 stars Try Norway if you think Northumberland's cold
My Dad bought me this, clearly spotting a connection between Judith O'Reilly's situation and mine. We moved to Norway two years ago, two children and eleven animals in tow and took on a small farm where the only accommodation was a tiny one bedroom cabin, proceeding to build a house, learn the language and wonder why Norwegians don't have proper sausages.

O'...
Published on 18 Jan. 2009 by Catherine Murphy

4.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written, 11 Aug. 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)

It was beautifully written and very poignant. Judith agrees to her husband's life long dream to life in Northumberland and uproots her existence to live in total chaos with two small boys, whilst also being heavily pregnant. The house is not ready. It is too small. It takes months for planning permission to be granted and the money keeps running out. Her husband, the man who wanted to live there in the first place, comes home for the weekend once every three weeks and spends most of the rest of the time in London, which is where she wants to be but isn't. She catalogues her woes in this blog/book.

People have criticised the book and the woman for being petulant and selfish. I disagree. She is writing about what is true for her. I feel that if I were in her shoes, I too would be rather depressed and find it very hard to find a silver lining. Living on what is a building site, out of boxes with three small children, one a newborn who is waking most nights is not easy, not easy at all. I applaud her for having stuck it out and not run off screaming into the distance.

My only beef is that this book is being marketed as a 'hilarious' read. It isn't. It is funny, in places, and indeed has some laugh out loud moments, but it is also tragic, poignant and heartfelt. It tells the truth of someone's chaotic life, their highs and lows and at times I felt that I could weep with empathy. Don't be fooled by the cover. It is not a jolly read. It's much more than that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Try Norway if you think Northumberland's cold, 18 Jan. 2009
Catherine Murphy "drcath" (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)

O' Reilly's book is based on the blog of her move to Northumberland, with two toddlers and one on the way. Emotional tension is created by the fact that it is Mr O'Reilly that wants the relocation, but Mrs O'Reilly who ends up spending most of her time in their new home. She is lonely, misses her friends, suffers the stresses of being alone with small children and having building work done and finds it hard to adapt from city dwelling to her new rural lifestyle.

Whether you like this book or not will depend very largely on whether you identify with O'Reilly and her experiences. She writes amusingly and well, but the content is, naturally, a bit limited. There are the "lego in the soup" bits, the "heyoop tha's a city lass" anecdotes and "how did we get ourselves into this mess" breast beating as various domestic crises strike. If you've been there, as I have, it's addictive, if you haven't you might find it slightly pointless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sooo boring, 26 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
Where's the humour? The laughing tears of recognition promised on the cover still haven't been found. I didn't know the author wrote a blog before I read some of the reviews on this page (which I should have perused before). So now I better understand the way it is written with very short episodes. I do not like it better though. I find it annoying and I don't like the constant whinning, I do not like this way the writer doesn't give a name to the characters. I find them hard to identify in the end (as if they were not sufficiently devoided of any interest). I had a lot of difficulties to read the first 100 pages and I think my trip will end here.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing chick lit, 31 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
I read this after reading an extract in the Times and was really disappointed. The extracts gave a good idea of what to expect - chatty, funny writing, but the book as a whole is too long. There is a limit to how long you can read this type of writing and I got to the limit within 100 pages.
There were some good bits which were well described (eg the sweep before birth), but on the whole the tone and content were tiring - yes, London and the North are different, but she made the point far too many times.
Overall: amusing in places, but overlong and repetitive.

3.0 out of 5 stars tricky one, this......., 15 Sept. 2008
kermit 333 (England UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
gosh this book stumped me - at first I was all set to give it one star because of the womans incessant moaning and whinging on how wonderful London is blah blah blah wish she was back there yadda yadda yadda and this went on for the entire book! I pushed myself to finish it as I wanted to know if the family ever returned to London...... and yes WHY was it her husband's job to fill up the car when he's in London????? Does she never check her fuel herself....? And the fact that she was extremely well off - most of us normals wouldn't have the money to do what she and her husband did.... buy two cottages and knock them into one have the builders in for months rent a house to live in meanwhilst and then at the end of it all install the Londoners dream of the AGA (mega bucks) and clawfooted bath (ditto) I certainly didn't find it funny despite what it said on the front cover!

And yet, and yet, she writes like a dream come true in some of her ruminations, particularly her observations of nature. And near the end of the book I was absolutely slain by her stark account of family tragedy - the suffering was there in every word. So I guess you pays your money and takes your choice - I see other reviewers liked it...... takes all sorts!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I hadn't bought this book, 14 Feb. 2009
Ian Davis "orangeredman" (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
If you like "humour" borne out of moaning then this is the book for you. Unfortunately I don't and struggled half way through and then gave up. Escapism this is not.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, well written... at times so sad, 2 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
I came across this book via the Wife in the North blog so knew what type of thing to expect - tales of family chaos, running out of petrol (again and again!), regularly being ridiculed at the hands of one's children etc. etc.

Judith O'Reilly upped sticks and left London for Northumberland, in short to indulge her husband's dream. The fact that that same husband then proceeds to spend most of his time working away in ... London adds to the backdrop of chaos and keeps O'Reilly oscillating between loving and hating her new life, undecided on whether or not it is for keeps.

Most mothers, especially any that feel they have swapped a high achieving career for something slightly less stellar will find things to identify with here. O'Reilly writes with a razor sharp wit and, at times, profound emotion. The parts in which she talks about her stillborn baby or postnatal depression literally brought tears to my eyes and it such emotion that prevents this book becoming just another collection of inane blog posts.

That said, the inane posts about sick or poo or the school run are done with such expert humour and with a writing style far superior to that found on many blogs that I'd have read those alone anyway. You can read this book incredibly quickly but might end up wishing it had lasted a little longer, offered a slightly longer diversion and break from all those grown up books you know you should really be reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars wrongly marketed!, 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
I bought this book as a 'light read' and for a bit of a laugh during my holiday - something I wouldn't normally read! It definitely wasn't a chick lit book, but a more poignant read. I am so glad I bought the book but think many people who might like it will have passed it by because of the 'frilly cover'. I could sympathise with her trials and cried at her loss. I want to know what she's doing now....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good writing but poor marketing and proofreading, 30 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Wife in the North (Kindle Edition)
This is a well written book. It's poignant and thoughtful. However it is not a hilarious tale of rural living, it's the author's soul-searching reflections as she totters on the edge of depression, which wasn't what I wanted or expected from the cover, and I wish it hadn't been marketed as such. It may sell more copies of this book, but if she writes a sequel, how many possible readers will already have been alienated?
Also, I bought the Kindle edition and the lack of proofreading is frankly irritating. I don't know what scanning product they used to turn it into an e-book, but it can't tell the difference between the letter i and the number 1. And those well known Northumbrian islands, the Fame islands? Obviously where the author mingles with her celebrity friends ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Read!, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Wife in the North (Paperback)
What a good read! I bought this book after hearing about it from a friend & I'm so glad I did.

It was a giggle in places, not completely hilarious as the cover suggests, just like life!
Judith uprooted her urban life in London & replaced it with a country life in rural Northumberland where I'm from.
She started a diary of the daft things happening to her & decided to blog about it so it's written in diary/blog style, a date at a time. I recognised a lot of situations she'd been in & could relate to the hair pulling out frustration at times. A couple of years back we started our own renovation project so a lot of her funny builder anecdotes really rang true for me.

All in all, a good buy, I'd recommend it.

Wife in the North