5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and Functional
I ordered this item after having been unimpressed by the build quality of the various aluminium stove top espresso makers I had seen. I settled on the Stellar 'Art Deco' as it is made from stainless steel and I liked the idea of the wider base as I figured it would capture the heat from my gas stove burner more effectively as well as reducing sides overheating...
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by William J. Walker

1.0 out of 5 stars Great style in the kitchen - doesn't make coffee
We used the Stellar Espresso Maker from the end of September 2013 when it arrived until the 15th. of December. I then reverted to the 20 year old Cafetière.

Published 7 months ago by Mike Phelan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and Functional, 14 Feb 2011
William J. Walker "Billyjay" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)

The quality of construction is marvellous, even better than I'd hoped; it is made from a very reassuringly heavy gauge of material throughout and everything fits together perfectly. It comes with a spare rubber seal and a tamping disc to pat down the coffee. It has a lifetime guarantee and if it didn't last a lifetime I'd be surprised. I read a review that suggested that the handle gets hot but have not found that to be the case.

The cup size delivered refers to the small espresso style cups (about 30 ml). I find that the six cup size makes a large mug, or two cups, of full flavoured latte.

This is not a cheap coffee maker but, it seems to me, it is good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
This is a great little coffee pot and gives me the best coffee I have ever had. I use it with great delight every morning. It is easy to use, easy to take apart for washing, and does well on the small ring of my gas hob. The wide base is a good design for this purpose and for stability. For many years we used a similar, but far inferior pot made in aluminium, in our holiday caravan, but disposed of this because of the aluminium scare. We missed it greatly and longed to find a stainless steel model. Now at last we can again go back to wonderful coffee and without that aluminium taste.

I do have one small grumble - it should not be called a 6 Cup maker. Perhaps this is OK for very tiny doll's house sized cups. I find that this size model makes only one and a half mugs of coffee. With hot water and milk added I can make it do for two mugs. I couldn't use it when I have three or four friends for coffee. A very much bigger model would be needed. Therefore I have to say, do buy this wonderful little coffee maker if you are making coffee for one or possibly two every morning. Certainly do not buy the smaller model.

I have only given it 4 stars because of the confusing size-name

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks pretty and makes great espresso / americano, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Stellar seems to make the best espresso machines I reckon! I'm happy to be rid of the traditional aluminium octagonal shaped unit that I had before. Firstly it looks better on the stove top (although it has quickly discoloured on my gas hob.) And takes no time at all to clean. But best of all the coffee tastes great. I don't use my cafetiere any more! (After much experimentation, I think the best advice I have read is to always make the full capacity of espresso coffee that the machine can make. If you want Americano instead of Espresso, water it down after making it - I use cold water, then I can drink it quicker and don't have to boil the kettle!) A 6 size cup is about the right size for my two mugs of Americano coffee - if you are entertaining you'll need a larger one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 4 May 2011
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Just taken delivery and I have to say, this is a quality piece of kit. Very solid and beautiful to look at. The chamber for the water is quite large so the coffee doesn't come out too strong; my old pot with both coffee and water chambers full, produced terribly strong coffee that I'd have to water down. Although an espresso is supposed to be that strong I suppose. But with this, you have the option... just put less water in if super-strong coffee is your thing!
I'm very pleased and delivery only took about 24hrs!!! Amazing
Another reviewer said that the handle got hot... I didn't think so; not so much as to worry anyway.
Needless to say, the old Ali pot has been unceremoniously dumped in the bin... 'bout time too

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar Art Deco Espresso Maker - what a gem!, 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
My wife bought me this as a birthday present, an upgrade from my recently bought aluminium model. It is fantastic quality, very heavy and really holds its heat well. This will last a lifetime so no need to buy another, ever! Fantastically green, I often use it on top of my log burner so even better!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great style in the kitchen - doesn't make coffee, 28 Dec 2013
Mike Phelan (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)

The pot was thoroughly cleaned before first use. Not thoroughly enough, the taste of the made coffee was awful and was discarded. Some black deposit was found under the rim of the thread on the inside of the base, probably cutting oil/suds. The next coffee still had a slightly odd taste but was drunk and neither my wife or I was ill.....

Subsequent brews continued to have something slightly odd in the smell and taste. A neighbour, a bit of a coffee enthusiast, was invited round to try a coffee from our new maker without telling him of our misgivings. He was polite but came clean when told what we thought; he thought it was dreadful.

The base was then filled with soapy water and boiled, followed by boiling diluted vinegar and rinsed. The base continued to have a definite smell of iron about it. On 'phoning Stellar its Chinese manufacture was admitted. I think that is the problem, nondescript steel. Stellar suggest that we return the pot to them to test. We haven't done that yet because it seemed only fair to give it time to make a half decent cup of coffee.

I cannot discover any more details about the materials used to make either the base or the top jug. The magnetic parts are the coffee container, the tamping disc and the base except for the screw thread. No one seems to know what the materials of the magnetic parts are, they're definitely not the preferred grade, 18/10 or 18/8 (304), for preparing and cooking food.

One of the companies that make good stainless cookware is WMF. We have a frying pan made by WMF in Germany. The whole area in contact with food is 18/10 stainless but the outside base is a 400 series magnetic stainless steel for use on induction hobs. If you intend to buy WMF goods be careful, a lot of their manufacturing is now done "in our far east facility".

We certainly agree with another reviewer, Neil Ford who says "I simply don't understand all the 5 star reviews!" We have used the same beans as we do for the Cafetière: Waitrose Organic Sumatra Mandheling, Colombian and some Brazilian beans from James Gourmet Coffee. The resulting coffee was all characterless and flat with no crema at all.

This coffee maker does not make espresso coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Espresso maker for an AGA, 21 April 2011
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I searched the internet and the shops for a stainless steel stove-top espresso maker suitable for use on our AGA. Most of them don't have flat bases or are not of heavy enough steel. I didn't want an aluminium one because I'm not sure of the health and corosion aspects of long term use.

The Stellar Art Deco works brilliantly, is superb quality and it looks good. I'm not sure why it is a 6 cup - I use it to make 2 mugs of cappucino.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real quality, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
I treated us to this after a kitchen refit, our old expresso maker was still functional but did nt really look the part.
This does the job, and looks good whilst going it, if only the same could be said of its owner !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 May 2014
M. Stokes "Stoko" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
Superb build, superb taste, easy to clean, magnetic so when we get an induction hob it will still work, looks wonderful. any negatives, cannot think of any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Espresso Maker, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Stellar Art Deco 6 Cup Espresso Maker (Kitchen & Home)
This is a great product it looks good and works very well, pours well too no dribbles. not cheap but worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›