5.0 out of 5 stars New masterpiece on agile adoption
Published on 22 Feb 2010 by Bent Myllerup

3.0 out of 5 stars Not relevant to smaller companies
This book is really about implementing Agile development within a bigger multi department organisation - I found it had very little that was relevant to my specific circumstances in a small agency.
Published on 29 Dec 2010 by B. Eppel

5.0 out of 5 stars New masterpiece on agile adoption, 22 Feb 2010
Bent Myllerup (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Mike Cohn's books have always been great resources of inspiration for me: Both in my early agile days, where I transformed from being a traditional project manager to a newborn ScrumMaster, as well as today where I, as a Certified Scrum Coach, helps clients to excellence in agile product development. Cohn's latest book: "Succeeding With Agile Software Development Using Scrum" is no exception to this - in fact, I consider this book to be the best I have ever read in the area of broad covering what is necessary in order to succeed with agile development.

When stating "broad coverage", I by no means indicate that this book is a brief description of the relevant subjects. On a contrary, it is more than 400 pages full of insights, details and suggestions on how to succeed with agile implementations in organizations of diverse sizes and cultures. Cohn has done a great job in compiling the essence from many sources and combine it with his own experiences and significant opinions into this masterpiece. There are other books that dig deeper on single subjects (like the up-coming books by Roman Pichler and Lyssa Adkins) which Cohn respectfully are suggesting as additional reading by the end of each chapter.

As Cohn states at the very beginning: "This is not a book for those who are completely new to Scrum or agile". I agree. If you are looking for an introduction to Scrum, you should turn to other sources like the official Scrum Guide or one of Ken Schwabers books, just as long as you remember to come back to this one after gaining experience on your own. This book is filled with descriptions and figures that help even well experienced and highly certified agile practitioners to get the clear picture!

In each chapter, Cohn has included small time-outs named "Things to try now" and "Objection". The first type helps the reader to reflect on his (or should I rather say "her"?) current practice, as well as give concrete suggestions on things that can be done in order to add some positive change. I have personally found many grains of gold that I will apply to my own practice. The second type, "Objection" is actually quite unique. In those sections, Cohn puts himself in the shoes of the skeptical stakeholder and state reasons why Scrum is not working - or at least not is going to work in MY organization (I am just reminded of having similar objections myself the first time I heard about Scrum - luckily I was wrong!). Of course he also takes the time to answer back on each objection by acknowledging the problem behind the objection and providing pragmatic solutions that easily can be implemented.

Reading the book is just like getting a Dan Brown novel in your hands - in fact, I have put "The Lost Symbol" on hold for the benefit of this one! It is written in a clear language with well-described examples and the humor you always sense whenever you read or have live experiences of Cohn. You will get enormous value where either you read it from start to finish or handpick chapters whenever needed.

This one will be one of my primary references for quite a while. Well done, Mike!

Bent Myllerup
Certified Scrum Coach, Project Management Professional and Certified Systemic Coach.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not relevant to smaller companies, 29 Dec 2010
B. Eppel "Ben" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Agile in a bit more depth, 7 Jun 2010
R. J. Bransden "engRik" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Well written with a very thorough grounding in the subject. Not for the faint hearted but if you are used to agile but want to delve deeper, then this is a good read. Don't expect to skim through it though, you'll need the time to really get to grips with some of the sections.
A good buy for those who want to learn more about a subject they already understand (don't get me wrong though, even if you're new to agile this is a very worthwhile book)

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'how to' manual for scrum, 20 April 2010
Nathan (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're new to scrum of been doing it for a while this book will help you improve your practices.

Whilst you can read it front to back it is designed so that you should be to use it like a reference book and pick it up and read just what you need.

The only thing that I found was missing was any advice on interacting with sales and where a team is dealing with multiple product owners but I don't know of any book that covers this at the present time.

A really good book that is a must for any budding scrum master, product owner or scrum coach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done Mike, 9 Dec 2009
For a while I was wondering why Mike has not published a book on a heated topic for a number of years, but now I know why !!

In "Succeeding with Agile" you get to enjoy a collection of ideas and more importantly structure on how to truly embrace agile within any organization. It is very obvious that a large investment in time to research to explain key topics with regards to the implementation of Scrum has been undertaken. I also value the reference material at the end of each chapter to guide my learning to expand upon any topic that graps my attention.

This is an intermediate book and an understanding of the Scrum framework armed with some experiences and scars in trying to implement agile will make this book a valuable asset in your library.

Well done mike, great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked this ... loads., 30 Nov 2009
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this book, Mike Cohn, moves away teaching you HOW to do agile, towards HOW to IMPLEMENT Agile so that it works and sticks. This is an excellent book. Very practical and pragmatic; based on loads of experience in the real world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 23 Dec 2013
Simon P (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Full of tips for going about an agile transition, ended up buying two, one for me one for a colleague.

Have been referring back to this again and again throughout the transition.

Well written and easy to digest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers A Great Many Scrum / Agile Questions, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum (Kindle Edition)
There are a few Scrum / Agile / Lean books which everyone on a software team should read and this is one of them. The information in this book is like gold-dust. It's been learned the hard way by the author! The information is well thought out and presented. Buy it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes complete sense, 5 July 2010
This book is a well written book that breaks the Scrum version of Agile Project Management method into logical chunks and makes complete sense. I have personally found this confirms a lot of the methodologies that I have put into practice in industries other than software and those skills/tips and tricks that translate across all methods of project management.

I found myself highlighting each paragraph or diagram that I found useful but had to stop 2/3 of the way through as I found a snippet of information worthy of highlighting on every page and I ran out of markers.

Mike explains in detail but in a very clear way how to get the best out of your team and set expectations for all stakeholders through the process of Scrum a book written with an obvious expertise in delivering software project exactly to all stakeholders expectations.

Obviously I would recommend this book to everyone who has a vested interest in Software Projects but I would go so far as to say that a lot of the material in here can be cross linked to every industry in some shape or form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, practical scenarios for those implementing Agile/Scrum, 15 Jun 2010
Jim (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've found this book easy to pick up and pretty practical around real-life challenges when introducing Agile/Scrum to an organisation with some awareness of iterative software development.

It comes in above the level of basic concepts and dives directly in to who, how when and why.

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)