4.0 out of 5 stars Player 2 has entered the game...
Zombieland for me was a lot of fun and as much a breath of fresh air to the genre that Shaun of the Dead was.

Published on 17 May 2010 by J. O'Reilly

2.0 out of 5 stars och
people have banged and blown about this film for years now and i never got around to seeing it. I finally succumbed to it yesterday and i can say its a pretty decent film. It isnt in the league of shaun of the dead for example, funny? not overly, violent?yes indeed, characters you care for? not overly. zany, cool,cultish? a little. There isnt alot going on story wise for...
Published 6 months ago by sean paul mccann

4.0 out of 5 stars Player 2 has entered the game..., 17 May 2010

Rather than the standard zombie horror fest that tries to mimic the classic Romero films, Zombieland is more of a tribute to the video game culture and the classic cliche moments in movies when a character obliviously gets into a car while we know he is going to be set upon by a waiting zombie.

These moments are highlighted throughout the film with on screen messages reminisent to a video game, none more so amusing as when Woody Harrelson is running around trying to create the best zombie kill of the week which involves selecting his weapons of choice and then deliberately goading the zombie horde into attacking him.

In terms of pace the film has some very intense moments and then periods of calm as we get to know the characters, both litered with humourous moments - to me it's more similar to films like Superbad and Rolemodels than it is to Night of the living dead, so anyone who can appreciate that level of humour along with some gruesome moments will enjoy this film.

Overall an enjoyable movie with great characters, look forward to seeing them in a sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 27 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I was looking for just a fun movie to watch, and this is definately a great one at that. Very funny, with zombies. What more can i say, watch for yourself and find out. I would Recommend this movie

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 8 Feb. 2011
Brian Sheeran "Brian S" (Warrington, Greater Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this at the request of my kid, and expected another boring blood thirsty load of rubbish.

It was actually very well made, funny and exciting. A great way to spend a couple of hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zom-Com Riot!!, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is not typical Zombie movie with the dead rising and attacking the living film and the Zombies are not the classic George A Romeo shambling Zombies. They are the new breed fast, can climb and think!!

The characters are well thought out and very well acted. The Rules are a real nice touch as most Zombie films do not bother. The Zombie attacks are violent and although well spaced out the final twenty minutes are great. The film could have been a bit longer as at 84 minutes it is short but worth the money.

You will either love this film or hate it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great fun, plenty of laughs and a standout performance from Woody Harrelson, 14 Jan. 2011
I originally recorded this film on sky+ having seen it advertised during it's release and never thinking much of it or having any real desire to see it... just shows how wrong you can be.
A hugely enjoyable film with some fantastic deadpan comic timing and delivery from its main stars. Woody Harrelson is brilliant in a role that seems to fit him perfectly. For a Zombie Horror/comedy the gore is there in all the right places, though always handled in a comic way.
The cameo, mentioned in most reviews of the film, will bring a huge smile to anyone's face who was born/grew up in the 80s like me and adds some well placed laughs.
For a film I had so little expectation of I cannot recommend the film enough! it's not an Oscar contender, it isn't going to go down as an all time great, but for pure enjoyment, laughs and re-watch value anytime you need a smile putting on your face, this is a fantastic film.
On Blu-ray the picture and sound are top notch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and funny, 11 Mar. 2010
shpadoinkle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Was expecting a zombie B-movie with a bit of broad humour chucked in, but was pleasantly surprised. The characters in this film are appealing and well-rounded, and after a while you become really invested in their fate. Although three out of four are teenage (and younger - Abigail Breslin is 12!), they are very mature and likeable.

The humour is also for the most part surprisingly sophisticated - based on character and observation, rather than slapstick and farce. There's a great improvised line when nerdy, uncomfortable Columbus tells bad-boy Tallahassee 'Oh - you knocked over your alcohol with your knife'. Also funny is the slightly less subtle zombie-humour, such as characters competing over 'Zombie Kill of the Week'. There IS a lot of blood and guts and violence aswell, but you know, it's a zombie film - you have to have a real feeling of peril and impending gore, or it's not scary.

Woody Harrelson is brilliant, and really elevates the whole thing. As does a very quick, very funny appearance by an unexpected famous actor who shall go unnamed.
The romantic subplot is also subtle and touching - even blokes who are watching for the comedy and guns might like it.

It's a short film (1hr20 ish), and so I ended up re-watching it with the cast and crew commentary, which is actually quite entertaining. Jesse Eisenburg sounds genuinely close to the character he plays in the film - kind of geeky and funny.

This film leaves you with a dopey smile on your face, aand I could easily watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars zombieland special, 16 April 2011
Special, because it was! When you pick up a film for a nights viewing, you want to know the it will be great, and sadly not all movies live up to expectations - but this one did!
Funny, Gorey, and worth every penny. Anyone needs a pick me up with a difference, then this is the film for you. Bill Murrays appearance was brief but made my day even better. Special!

5.0 out of 5 stars This film was like an American Shaun of the Dead for me, 26 Feb. 2011
J. Watkin "Jessica09" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I am a massive horror movie fan, and I especially love zombie horror. Good zombie movies are few and far between. Shaun of the Dead has always been a massive favourite of mine. I love horror and I love comedy, usually the two don't go so well together but Shaun of the Dead worked perfectly. With loads of clever references etc it was as another reviewer said 'a breath of fresh air' This is the only movie I've ever been to see twice at the cinema and it was worth it.

I went to the cinema to see Zombieland, from the opening credits I was hooked. I loved the slow motion stills set to the backdrop of 'For Whom the bell tolls' by Metallica.

Jesse Eisengberg's character is loveable almost instantly, a blatant geek whose OCD habits and 'rules' such as 'double tap' and 'always wear a seatbelt' seem to be what have been keeping him alive. He is not your typical movie hero.

The biggest reason I love this movie is the introduction of Woody Harrelson better known as Tallahassee in this film. As a massive fan of zombie movies sometimes the best ones are just the ones where zombies get their butts kicked. In the Resident Evil franchise I loved how Milla Jojovich tears the zombies to shreds. Talahassee does the same thing but comically. He summarises who we would all like to be in the event of a zombie apocolypse, with an impressive arsenal of weapons and a hilarious attitude he is my favourite character in this movie.

Although there isn't tonnes of action this movie is purely funny. It is also heartwarming. I will admit to shedding a tear at the end, I loved the characters, I loved the action when there is some. Watching Tallahassee take shears to the neck of one of the 'fatty' zombies was one of the funniest parts of the movie to me. 'Those poor fat B******'. It is a brilliant movie. I would be hard pressed to choose a favourite between this and Shaun of the Dead. Would recommend it to anyone. I recently watched it with a friend who HATES horror movies but he absoloutley loved this movie and rates it as one of his favourites of all time. Although It must have been the tenth time I've seen it I was still giggling all the way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars ooh yes woody, 27 May 2010
Joshua Wragg "Wraggaldinho" (derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zombieland [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Looking at the cast you think to yourself straight away, "There aren't many of them.."

The film shouldn't work, the idea sounds cheesy, it sounds "done before" but instead it's very original and stylish, as well as laugh out loud funny (at times) as well as feeling something towards each one of the characters, due to brilliant performances and excellent writing. Everything seems to be right in the film, as if Hollywood didn't mean to make it so good, the animation which kept appearing would usually annoy me, instead they were actually cleverly used. The overkill on the blood was just fantastic. I want zombies to get shot in the face and it to look good, and my word did it look good.

Anyway, give it a watch, if you like doghouse, shaun of the dead etc then you'll freaking love this, and if you don't like them.. you'll probably love this anyway!

8/10 Get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a Zombie fan, but I didn't want it to end!!, 8 Dec. 2010
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Wow! Wow! Wow! I Absolutely love this film! On every level it's great! If you want laughs, guns, zombies and great cinematography you can't beat it!

It has the best opening to any film I've seen in a while and the script is sharp and tight, and most importantly - laugh out loud, side splitting, piss your pants funny!

The stunts and action are great, it's well directed, the score is excellent and it makes great use of sets and scenery.

Visually, the film is a treat and excites the eyes. Also the jokes and characters are hilarious and very, very likeable.

The acting's great, with an awesome cameo from Bill Murray, and Jesse Eisenberg does a very good job in the lead role - watch out Michael Cero, this guy does you - but even bette

Harrelson is on top form and honestly, I loved everything about it. I enjoyed this film so much I can't wait to watch it again.

A real feel good movie that I was surprised to find I loved. I thoroughly recommend it for a fun night in front of the goggle-box.

The Blu Ray copy I had looked amazing quality too (let's be honest, the format and transfers can be a bit hit and miss), this is one Blu Ray that looks and plays as Blu Rays should.

Overall - for me - this gets an easy 9... maybe even 10/10. Great fun and visually pleasing.

If you found this review helpful, please give it the thumbs up - and if not, comment on why so I can do a better job for you next time. Thanks :-)

Zombieland [DVD] [2010]
Zombieland [DVD] [2010] by Ruben Fleischer (DVD - 2010)