5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful...
Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm...
I received a wake-up light as a gift nearly 2 years ago (a Philips HF3480) and it's been the best alarm clock I've ever had, not only waking you on time but doing it in the most civilised way - like being woken by a whisper instead of a police siren. Although it works year-round I have noticed that it's definitely more effective on the darker Winter mornings or in...
Published on 23 Sept. 2011 by techpuppy

‹ Previous | 1 2 365 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 7 Dec. 2012
K. Clark - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Ok so I still want to stay in bed on a cold, dark winter morning, but it's much easier to get up. The lamp has a great range from almost dark to more than light enough for reading. I also love the sunset feature which you can start at whatever brightness you like (although if you start it quite dim it doesn't last as long, but that's exactly what I want).

The instructions probably are a bit complicated, but if you take a bit of time to read through and experiment, you'll find it very easy to operate. I've turned off the alarm so don't know what that sounds like.

Over all I'm really pleased with it, I've only given 4 stars because it is quite expensive, but I think it's excellent as mid range product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheaper than you might expect, doesn't really deliver on promises., 23 Nov. 2014
I was pretty excited when I bought this; during the summer months I am an early riser and never struggle to get out of bed in the morning, however in the darker winter months I feel the opposite. This alarm clock seemed like it was exactly what I needed! I am sad to say that after using the product for a few weeks I have decided that I would not recommend this product.

To be absolutely fair, I would say maybe 2/5 mornings I do wake with the light before the audible alarm is initiated. If you have the motivation to get out of bed immediately then maybe you would find a use for this product, but please read below for some things that have put me off the product.

1. It gets very hot. Maybe there is no way around this, it is a bright bulb contained in a small plastic casing, so yeah, it gets hot.
2. You need to consciously set the alarm every night. Every other alarm clock I have had in my life you set it once and it will continue to wake you up at the set time until you switch it off. Not this one - very backwards design!
3. You have to hold down a button to dim the light until it is out... why not just have an off button?
4. It has an illuminated clock face that dims when you turn the alarm on so you cannot look at the time if you wake up in the middle of the night...

I have rated 2 stars because yes, 2 times out of 5 it does wake me up gently... I guess it isn't the alarm clock's fault I fall asleep again and rely on the audible alarm in addition to this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 16 Oct. 2012
This lamp is a god send for me...am normally dreadful at getting up in the dark mornings...bear with a sore head is an understatement. I still have to use my mobile phone to actually wake me up, but the process is far easier waking to the light and i'm in a better mood overall. Could be psychological? Who cares? It works for me. Reason i've given 4 stars is cos i found the instructions hard to follow and think the lighting up process should be longer than half an hour and not turn off automatically after half an hour..better if it stayed lit until you choose to turn it off. The alarm part havent tried as instructions i found confusing enough and prefer my mobile anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wakey wakey ..., 21 Sept. 2011
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little light. I already owned a Lumie Wake-up Light but this is a more modern, sleek design than my older model. This one won't take up too much space on your bedside table and will double as a bedside clock, with nice, easy to read display. The only negative is the difficulty in setting up the clock - specifically turning off the audible alarm. Lumie have, unfortunately, not made it any easier on this model than on my old one ... in fact I would say it was more difficult as the instructions in the booklet were so poor regarding this!
Other than that, this is a great little light which will brighten those dark mornings as Autumn and Winter begin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gadget - get one, 10 Nov. 2014
Fantastic gadget - get one!! I feel much more awake these dark mornings and it isn't the usual struggle to get up! However...pay a little extra for different sounds unless you like harsh beeps! Plus side is that all but one morning I've woken about 2 mins before the beeps start. Love my lumie...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Oct. 2012
Waking up in the morning has never been easier. I never would have thought that a light alarm clock would be so effective. Waking up on these dark mornings is a much nicer experience now. I don't use the alarm tone as I prefer to set my radio to come on 5 minutes before the 'sunrise' is complete but this light is so effective I'm usually awake and turning on my radio before the alarm time. It's great that you can also use the light as a bedside llght by using the + and - buttons to set the light intensity. This is the best money I have spent, dreary winter mornings are not something to dread anymore.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Cosy Start, 10 Oct. 2011
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Tired of a radio alarm that usually woke me with either gloomy news (not its fault, I know) or a shrill alarm that could have doubled as a defibrillator, I felt like a change. My first impressions of the Lumie weren't that favourable - the plastic 'glow dome' appeared, well, plasticky and the instructions were less than lucid. However, I have warmed to its cute little presence.

Part of this is down to the very concept; I find it far nicer to be woken by light than the news headlines. More often than not I wake (as before) slightly before the set time and the warm glow that develops over a 30 minute progression before `sunburst' seems to set a gentle tone for the day. This is in contrast to the abruptness of the news headlines pouring into the room; if newsreaders could perhaps read more softly for the first few minutes it might have been different.

So far as the Lumie itself is concerned, I have come to view the jelly mould style dome as a benign presence. It may not be cutting-edge design but it is friendly. The discreet central LED clock is somehow more readable in the dark but at the same time less intrusive than my previous alarm. I finally divined that setting and switching off was achieved through very simple one button procedures, confused in the manual by other half explained options. If I am not already surfacing before the Lumie steps in, the gradually increase in light usually brings me awake gradually. The backup beep if I don't press a button is useful insurance but I have only needed it once.

Unassuming, unpretentious and maybe not designer chic but cosy - I actually look forward to the 'sunrise' gradually appearing and it makes a good start to the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clock and excellent service from Amazon!, 27 Jun. 2014
I've had my Lumie clock since February (2014) and am really happy with it. I had another natural light alarm clock some years ago, but this one is much better, as the surface area of the light is much bigger and the overall design is much prettier - it actually looks nice sitting on your bedside table. It is also great as a lamp for a more relaxing light than your average table lamp (I got rid of mine when I bought the Lumie, on which you can set the brightness from very soft to very strong - though not quite strong enough as a reading light). The lamp part does heat up quite a lot, so you have to be careful the kids don't touch it when lit, but it has an automatic switch-off, so there's nothing to worry about.
Just as the reviews say, the slowly increasing light in the morning is a far more gentle way of waking up than the stressful beeping of a conventional alarm clock (though you can set the alarm to beep at the end, if you prefer, in case you're afraid of not waking up with the light alone - take note that it's quite loud!). I find that the light is enough, and it's so nice to wake up without something ringing in your ear. In fact I only set the beep to come on if I've got to be up for something special and can't risk not getting up at a particular time.
I would agree with other reviewers who say the overall quality is very good, although I have to say that yesterday while taking the top part off to check that the bulb was properly screwed in, one of the two little plastic bits at the side, inside, which let the lid click safely into place, snapped off, so the lid is now balancing on top without being safely attached. I think they could be a little more sturdy. But the clock comes with a 2 year guarantee, so I mailed Amazon last night explaining the problem.
I have found a reply in my inbox this morning from Amazon Customer Service saying they are sending me a replacement item. I would like to congratulate Amazon on their quick reply and thank them for their excellent service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea that could do with a few design tweaks, 31 Jan. 2014
Square Peg (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
When my trusty old bedside lamp died after 20 years of use, I needed a replacement. I wanted one that had a soft gentle light but that was bright enough to read by. I'm a poor sleeper, naturally nocturnal and useless in the morning. I hate alarm clocks and find them stressful but can't trust myself to wake up without one. This Lumie Bodyclock was on offer at half the RRP, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The wake up light works beautifully for me and makes me feel like I've woken up naturally. Really takes the stress out of week day mornings. The settings are really easy to operate and I like the dim up and down function. It's great if you need a smidgin of light in the night but don't want to turn it on fully. I also like the function that allows me to easily turn off and on the clock display so there is no annoying light catching my peripheral vision in the dark.

However, on the down side there are a few problems with the design. After a couple of weeks of use, the clock is already 4 minutes slow which seems really shoddy for a digital clock that sells full price at almost £60. Also, although I love the easy control of the light, I find the full setting too bright and a bit harsh on the eyes first thing. It tends to wake me in the morning 5-10 minutes before it reaches full power. It would be so much better if it was possible to adjust this final setting to suit personal tastes.

Finally, the overall look of the light is a bit disappointing... It's functional looking but in a small household appliance/baby monitor kind of way, rather than a form follows function cool design kind of way.

Despite the niggles, I am happy with this light but I'm glad I only paid half price for it. The underlying idea of it is great and if a version 2 came up, I definitely upgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Present for the girlfriend, she's not sure about it., 5 Jan. 2014
Chris (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
First off, I'm finding that this alarm clock does work. The light comes on slowly over 30 minutes, and I do find myself waking up a bit easier. It's not really having much effect on the girlfriend though, as she is most definitely not a morning person.

Now for the more critical analysis.

The design is very simplistic, and quite "plastic". The girlfriend asked for a body clock for christmas, as she'd used a Philips one when visiting a friend, and was impressed. I can pretty safely say that when she saw the Lumie, she was a bit underwhelmed.

The clock is controlled by 3 buttons. The left and right buttons are for either adjusting the time up and down, or for turning the light up or down. The middle button is used to scroll through settings and engage the alarm/light for the next day.

Setting the clock is very simple, press and hold the middle button for a few seconds and then you can go through the whole set-up progressively, first setting the alarm time (this is the time that you want to wake up by...not the time the light starts to come on. So this means setting at 8am will have the light start to come on from 7.30am). Next you set the clock time, and then can choose between having an audible beeping tone at your "wake up time", as well as having the clock either dim when its night time, or turn off completely. The clock screen light is quite bright, so we opted for the latter option.

I don't have any issues with controlling the clock. However my girlfriend has on a few occasions pressed the wrong button to turn the light off in the morning, and has gone into changing the clock time instead! Something to be aware of if you're not too "with it" first thing in the morning.

Overall I like it, though it does look and feel a bit cheap and simple.

‹ Previous | 1 2 365 | Next ›