5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Published on 21 Sep 2011 by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright and breezy
Poking around this product over the past few weeks, I was hoping that it was going to show my other wake-up light (a Philips HF3480) a clean pair of heels, what with it being from the makers of "the original wake-up light" - as proudly stated by the manufacturers. Sadly, I think this Starter 30 is a bit of a damp squib.

As a clock, it works, as a wake-up light,...
Published on 4 Oct 2011 by Chappers

5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sep 2011
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie alarm., 19 Jan 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised!, 12 Nov 2011
I bought this item after Google-ing about the winter doldrums (I live in London, England!) and found the reviews on this product to claim an increase in energy and to feel somewhat refreshed when waking up. Much to my surprise the claims are true! I love my light and think it's a great buy. I feel more energetic and generally don't wake up in a slump on these long winter mornings. I would most definetly recommened this product to anyone thinking of trying a dawn simulator. It is cute on my night stand and is easy to use. Even though the light is not majorly strong it is still nice to wake up to SOME light around your face.

I was torn between purchasing this Lumie light or the ever-so-expensive Philips brand and must say that I am glad I went with Lumie. There were cheaper options as well but it is true that you get what you pay for and I am happy to have invested the £60 to get this!

Definetly makes these UK winters somewhat bearable lol.

If you are thinking of getting this light - DO!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I thought, highly recommended, 16 Dec 2013
I was always a bit sceptical about these, however my colleague has a Philips lamp and swears by it. Now the days seem to be perpetually dark I found myself wondering whether my morning routine would be benefitied by one of these, as opposed to my iphone alarm jarring me awake.

I looked at both this lamp and the Philips. I eventually chose this due to the strength of the reviews and because of the ability to change the lamps (on the Philips you have to buy a new system!)

I have used now for a couple of days and am really impressed. I find myself getting up after around 15 minutes, so before the room is fully bright and before the unit beeps (you can turn the brightness up/down to suit though, and choose to have a beep alarm or not). You wake up gradually, and it feels nice- like the sun is outside and calling you! You can also tuen the LCD toime display off at night which I like as I prefer the room to be as dark as possible.

Setting the unit up is a little fiddly as there are just 3 buttons which are not brilliantly intuitive, and the manual isn't as straightforward as it could be. That said, I am sure after a few more days I will be a whizz.

As well as a wake up mode there is also a sunset mode but I haven't used this yet. I imagine this would be nice when you're struggling to get off to sleep though.

All in all, very impressed and would definately recommend. I can't imagine going back to my beloved iphone to wake me! SADS or otherwise, these are a really good investment and make you feel much much happier about getting up in the morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to wake up, 20 Sep 2011
Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've used a Philips Wake-Up Clock Radio for some time but the downside with that clock is that the bulb is not replaceable (i.e. when the bulb goes the whole unit is dead if it's outside of warranty). I was really keen to try the Lumie. It's more basic than the Philips unit that we are used to which has all sorts of sounds to wake up to (normal alarm, radio, birdsong, etc.) and the brightness that it reaches can also be changed. With the Lumie it always increases to the maximum brightness over the 30 minute period prior to the option alarm sounding. Although the functions are limited it does exactly what you need in a wake-up clock and I've found it great to wake up with over the last week - I actually set the alarm time for 15 minutes after I want to wake up and I find that always wake up 15 minutes into the illumination period - you might find you need full brightness to wake you so try it out to see what suits. I love the fact that I never have to wait to hear the alarm, the light wakes me gently before any noise is needed. You can actually turn the alarm noise off so it's only the light that works - for new users it is probably best trying the clock out a few times before you rely on just the light!

I couldn't imagine trying to use just a normal alarm clock to wake now, I used to find it really difficult to get up in the dark, now the light gently rouses me and I feel refreshed rather than grumpy in the morning! I also like the sunset mode, it's a nice way to gently get to sleep.

I would highly recommend this clock, it is well priced with a user-replaceable bulb and I would say this is the best way to wake up in the morning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly it works, 4 Dec 2012
N. Ensser - See all my reviews
Very very impressed with it. I woke to it the following morning after it arrived and it woke me up so easily and I did seem to bounce out of bed with way more spring in my step than I normally do at this time of year. It's one of those things I bought as a gamble and turned out to do what it says it does.

Didn't work as great this morning (3 days on) but I think that might be the lack of sleep I had, no amount of light can deal with sleep deprivation. Still though, it was worth its very low price. I definitely recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Lumie!, 15 Nov 2012
Having had problems with waking up and generally feeling sleepy all day on my 6am shifts, I started looking for a dawn-simulator alarm clock. Having been disappointed with cheaper models, I decided to look into investing in a Lumie, and I love it.

I was initially worried, having read other reviews I had seen that the instructions were difficult to understand and was worried about set-up. However, I had no such problems. I'm generally technophobic and bad at set-ups, but I followed the instructions easily (thankfully the instructions are also short, not a thick book). There are three buttons, an enter, a plus and a minus and it is fairly easy to figure out that the clock is set by adjusting the digits with the plus and minus, then set with the enter. Same with the alarm, which follows. I had my clock set and alarm set up quickly.

I tried it on my day off, setting it for 4 a.m. and found that, unlike cheaper models, I was not startled awake the minute the light turned on. I woke up at 4 a.m. exactly, once the light was at it's brightest and felt more awake than I had all week, wonderful. I didn't even need a sound alarm back-up.

I did, however, try the alarm on my boyfriend, who is a much heavier sleeper and he did not wake up at all, so it may be worth taking up Lumie on a home-trial if you are a heavy sleeper.

I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to all. It can also be used as an adjustable light, using the plus and minus while ever you are out of the 'settings' menu and at it's brightest it is just as bright as my current lamp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Effective., 14 Mar 2014
M. Paton "Rabid Reader" (Leicester) - See all my reviews
To be honest, I bought this for a lazy student child of mine who found it difficult to scrape herself off her bed before lunch. She now uses it to get herself up in time to take her dog for a walk in the mornings. At first she hated it. She found the light intensity intrusive, but when she realised that was the purpose, she's taken to it with enthusiasm. I've bought a 2nd one for my other daughter who works. She loves waking up gradually alongside the light. She had the expensive phillips model before, but the bulb died and couldn't be replaced as it was a closed unit. This one,her cat swiped it off the table, and killed the bulb, but she replaced it quickly and easily. I had also ordered extra bulbs. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars The winter is brighter, 9 Feb 2011
Mrs. L. Ovens "Lou" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This clock is robust, good quality and very easy to use. It has transformed my life this winter. I always struggle getting up at 6am as the dark is so dark. This lamp starts to light up the room from 1/2 hour before the alarm goes off and by the time it goes off, I very rarely have to use the snooze button, as I am relatively awake. I have not used the evening / sleep function as I have no problem sleeping. Being able to turn off the display at night is very handy and I use this function all the time. Some people think that paying £60 for an alarm clock is expensive, but being able to wake up, feel bright and not have the winter blues, has transformed my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bright and breezy, 4 Oct 2011
Chappers "chappers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

As a clock, it works, as a wake-up light, it works. But put up against the Philips - which would be it's core competitor, it looks clunky, it operates in an unintuitive fashion, and it offers no surprise-and-delight or added operative features.

I'm not normally one for reading instructions manuals straight off (I'm a man!!), but this is usually for the simple reason that I like to think that modern consumer electronic devices should be intuitive. They should make sense, and be easy to operate. You shouldn't have to consult the manual. But on this occasion I did. I had to be guided through what combination of button presses did what, and why the display was turning off (not entirely sure I see the point in that). I think the inclusion of a radio or at the least some options of different soft wake-up tones/sounds would have added some value, and perhaps having the entire top of the device itself work as an on-off button would have been nice, to save you fumbling for the small buttons.

The amount of light it gives off is perfectly adequate however, and I like that it's relatively easy to get to the bulb to replace it if need be.

Granted it does appear cheaper than the Philips (at the time of writing), but it's worth having a good look at the competition as I think the Philips - although far from perfect itself, offers a better all-round proposition, wrapped up in a more modern and appealing package.

I give this product 3 stars.