5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Published on 21 Sep 2011 by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm...
Published on 23 Sep 2011 by techpuppy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sep 2011
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie alarm., 19 Jan 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforms the dark mornings!, 28 Oct 2014
After considering the more expensive light alarms, I plumped for the Lumie......so glad I did. I normally struggle to get up as soon as the dark mornings come around, big time, but this has transformed my mornings. The sunrise gradually lights up over about half an hour and I awake gradual and refreshed. Don't know the science behind it, just that it works. I don't use the audible alarm sound, don't need to. If you have difficulty waking up in the dark, give this a try. So worth the money, couldn't recommend it highly enough......brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm..., 23 Sep 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received a wake-up light as a gift nearly 2 years ago (a Philips HF3480) and it's been the best alarm clock I've ever had, not only waking you on time but doing it in the most civilised way - like being woken by a whisper instead of a police siren. Although it works year-round I have noticed that it's definitely more effective on the darker Winter mornings or in bedrooms that don't catch the morning light.

This Lumie Bodyclock STARTER features a fixed 30 minute sunset or sunrise function and one bleeping (quite annoying) alarm - the bleep is optional, only there as a safety-net in case the light doesn't wake you. The controls are simple enough although the manual is a bit obtuse in explaining them. You activate the sunset function by turning the light on to your chosen brightness before switching on the alarm - the light will now fade to darkness over a fixed 30 minute period. On full brightness the light, which is daylight-coloured and virtually shadowless, is bright enough to read by and the sunset function means you're gently reminded to put the book down and go to sleep when it becomes too dim to continue. In the morning, 30 minutes before your chosen alarm time, the light starts to fade up again and somewhere in that 30 minute sunrise you should wake up again - I find I usually wake up before it reaches full brightness.

You can choose to display the time in 12 or 24 hour format and the clock display can be set to dim or go off completely during the night, which is great if glowing LED's bother you in the bedroom. There's only one alarm sound and no inbuilt radio. The bulb is a replaceable Halogen unit good for 2000 hours, which is only the same as a double-life tungsten bulb and much less than most low-energy bulbs. The sunburst effect cast on the wall behind the light is cute - it's achieved by the ventilation holes cut in the back of the top cover. The top cover lifts off easily for bulb replacement but be aware this also exposes a potentially very hot bulb to inquisitive fingers - it might not be the best choice of night-lights for use in a kids' room.

If you've never tried a wake-up light before the Lumie would be an affordable way to test one out. It's a basic model that's a bit low on features but as a wake-up light it does a good job and it's a smaller, neater unit than some. I can't help feeling the halogen light source has been superseded now by LED options available elsewhere, they use less power and emit no heat so they're safer but the Starter 30 is still, as the name implies, an affordable way to start waking up in the light...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely way to wake up!, 22 Oct 2014
M. Harper "www.crystal-twist.co.uk" (Guernsey, CI UK) - See all my reviews
I've only used this for a few days, but I LOVE the feeling that I'm waking up to a sunny day! Even though consciously I know it's dark and windy and cold outside, the light seems to fix itself on my subconscious and I wake up with that happy feeling you get when it's a lovely day outside... and that feeling doesn't go away. The manufacturer's description has all the lovely science behind this, I just know that it's much easier to wake up naturally, as I do in the summer months, as opposed to the attack-by-alarm-clock feeling of winter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, awful execution., 13 July 2014
Mr. Euan Gillespie (UK) - See all my reviews
This clock really does work - the gradual, gentle awakening you get is very welcome, particularly during the winter months. It also looks good and seems solidly built. However, it's a massively overpriced and horribly designed device that fails at almost every other aspect of being an alarm clock. Don't get me wrong - I'd certainly recommend trying one of these light alarm clocks and, at the time of writing, this seems to be the only model available. But if by the time you come to read this there are alternatives, I'd suggest you try those first.

To give some examples:
- The display is BRIGHT YELLOW! It's also far too bright, even when dimmed - I have to turn it away from me to sleep, and even then it actually lights the back wall of the room! Every other alarm clock I've ever owned has had a dark red or gray/black display, and given that this clock is built on the idea that bright light wakes you up, this is an unbelievable oversight.
- The light doesn't always wake me up, so I have it set to make an alarm noise too. But rather than a normal alarm sound, it makes a horrible screech that sounds more like my carbon monoxide alarm. Hardly a pleasant thing to wake up to.
- If I wake up early, I try to turn the alarm off in advance to avoid the horrible noise and dim the light. But due to some bug the light will often start up again - even after the alarm time - so I'll come back later to find it's been illuminating my room the whole time and I have to dim it *again*.
- If I want to turn the alarm off instead of resetting for the next morning (as at the weekend) I have to hold both the left and right buttons for about a second (which took me ages to figure out). For some unknown reason when you do this it emits two loud peeps of the carbon monoxide alarm noise as confirmation - the last thing you want early on a Friday morning.
- The controls are terribly designed. It's slow to use, often requires awkward presses of two or more buttons at once, and has many strange undocumented behaviours that get in the way (like the confirmation peep for unsetting the alarm above). It was several months before my fiancee was comfortable setting the alarm. In comparison, the £10 alarm clock we replaced with it could be updated and set in seconds.

So to summarise - this may be worth buying if there really aren't any alternatives available. You will indeed get a nice, gentle awakening, but it will be followed by much grinding of teeth as you try to reset it or turn it off or change the time, all the while thinking 'did I really spend £60 on this'?

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 26 Nov 2014
I had high hopes for this bodyclock, but unfortunately the negative points mentioned in other reviews are valid.

1. Positive - the design is nice
2. Positive - the "light" alarm seems to be working. There were only couple occasions when it did not wake me up; in fact, I was awake even before the light was fully on. The light is so strong that it even woke up my partner (which I'm not sure is a positive point for everyone - it definitely was not for him as he does not get up at the same time as I do). I cannot confirm if I felt less tired during the day, though, as I didn't use it long enough to see the benefits I suppose (I used it only for 2-3 weeks).
3. Semi-negative - it is a bit of a pain and fiddly to set it up the first time.
4. Negative - the alarm sound is really awful and loud and feels like a nuclear bomb being dropped somewhere nearby. This goes completely against the bodyclock alarm idea as it woke me up with a shock, which was not pleasant at all. The sound cannot be altered (it's not possible to make it quieter).
5. Negative - the digits are really too bright and if you are not using the alarm (for instance during the weekend), they cannot be dimmed. The light they produce is so disturbing that I had to cover the display, otherwise I kept waking up during the night only because of that.

Overall, I would not recommend this particular model and it is a shame I cannot return it anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not built to last, 11 Aug 2014
When I first bought this I would have given in 5* as it worked brilliantly. However the bulb only has a 6 month warranty and the base has a 2yr warranty. The clock broke just outside its warranty. The cost for repair is £20 + postage to them (must be special delivery which will be at least £10) and then postage back to me £6. The customer services manager tells me that the clocks last for about 2 years and he thinks that's reasonable. I disagree and I'm not willing to spend on average £30 a year for an alarm clock!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 2 Dec 2011
Good product. I found the manual very intelligble (contrary to what I read in other reviews prior to purchasing). Have been trying it for a week now and am still discerning whether it is the sunrise light that wakes me up or the excitement of the alarm clock(have noticed I dream more often and as a result have felt more awake in the morning). Only down side to the alaram clock is the alarm clock's function (beep tone) where one is woken up by a rather harsh beep (takes away the subtleness of the light), and no way to turn the volume of the beep down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised!, 12 Nov 2011
I bought this item after Google-ing about the winter doldrums (I live in London, England!) and found the reviews on this product to claim an increase in energy and to feel somewhat refreshed when waking up. Much to my surprise the claims are true! I love my light and think it's a great buy. I feel more energetic and generally don't wake up in a slump on these long winter mornings. I would most definetly recommened this product to anyone thinking of trying a dawn simulator. It is cute on my night stand and is easy to use. Even though the light is not majorly strong it is still nice to wake up to SOME light around your face.

I was torn between purchasing this Lumie light or the ever-so-expensive Philips brand and must say that I am glad I went with Lumie. There were cheaper options as well but it is true that you get what you pay for and I am happy to have invested the £60 to get this!

Definetly makes these UK winters somewhat bearable lol.

If you are thinking of getting this light - DO!!