5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Picard

Published 2 months ago by Daniel A Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sept. 2011
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforms the dark mornings!, 28 Oct. 2014
After considering the more expensive light alarms, I plumped for the Lumie......so glad I did. I normally struggle to get up as soon as the dark mornings come around, big time, but this has transformed my mornings. The sunrise gradually lights up over about half an hour and I awake gradual and refreshed. Don't know the science behind it, just that it works. I don't use the audible alarm sound, don't need to. If you have difficulty waking up in the dark, give this a try. So worth the money, couldn't recommend it highly enough......brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie alarm., 19 Jan. 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have seen the light!, 29 Oct. 2014
This year I decided to try to take action around my possible SAD, so I bought this to try to help. I've had it about a month now.
My problem isn't that I don't wake up on time on dark mornings - most of the time I wake up about an hour before I need to, and what I was hoping to do was train myself to not bother about looking at my alarm wondering if it was time to get up but instead to make that judgement by whether the light from the alarm clock was on.
To be fair, that's not a scenario that this clock is supposed to help with, and unfortunately I'm not making much progress on that.
However, when it is time to get up, the light has been on for 15 minutes or so, and that is helping immensely in making me feel ready to get out of bed rather than previously stumbling around bleary-eyed in the dark.
So it's all still a work in progress.
But I'm sure that if you sleep through to your alarm then this really should help you wake up more calmly.

If you find the full brightness too bright (or have someone sleeping next to you who gets up at a different time!) you might want to try this:
if you're using a separate alarm, then one strategy might be to turn the alarm off on the clock, and set the wake up time AFTER your alarm time (eg. by 15 minutes) - that way, when the light comes on, it's only half brightness at the time your alarm goes off.

I love the sunset feature - very nice for dropping off to sleep with at the other end of the day.
Only giving it 4 stars because the user interface of just 3 buttons is both logically and physically clunky.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic clock and worth every Penny, 14 Dec. 2014
This is a fantastic clock and worth every Penny!
It wakes you up gradually on these awful dark mornings with a graduating glow and makes you feel very relaxed rather then an alarm going off in the darkness.
You can have it as a gradual light wake up only or incorporate alarm also if you wish. We don't use alarm as the light wakes us up. Buy one you won't regret it. Delivery excellent too thank you. Just one problem with instructions as not very clear but rang the helpline number and got it sorted out - note to manufacturer: perhaps make the written instructions clearer ?

2.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheaper than you might expect, doesn't really deliver on promises., 23 Nov. 2014
I was pretty excited when I bought this; during the summer months I am an early riser and never struggle to get out of bed in the morning, however in the darker winter months I feel the opposite. This alarm clock seemed like it was exactly what I needed! I am sad to say that after using the product for a few weeks I have decided that I would not recommend this product.

To be absolutely fair, I would say maybe 2/5 mornings I do wake with the light before the audible alarm is initiated. If you have the motivation to get out of bed immediately then maybe you would find a use for this product, but please read below for some things that have put me off the product.

1. It gets very hot. Maybe there is no way around this, it is a bright bulb contained in a small plastic casing, so yeah, it gets hot.
2. You need to consciously set the alarm every night. Every other alarm clock I have had in my life you set it once and it will continue to wake you up at the set time until you switch it off. Not this one - very backwards design!
3. You have to hold down a button to dim the light until it is out... why not just have an off button?
4. It has an illuminated clock face that dims when you turn the alarm on so you cannot look at the time if you wake up in the middle of the night...

I have rated 2 stars because yes, 2 times out of 5 it does wake me up gently... I guess it isn't the alarm clock's fault I fall asleep again and rely on the audible alarm in addition to this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gadget - get one, 10 Nov. 2014
Fantastic gadget - get one!! I feel much more awake these dark mornings and it isn't the usual struggle to get up! However...pay a little extra for different sounds unless you like harsh beeps! Plus side is that all but one morning I've woken about 2 mins before the beeps start. Love my lumie...

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised!, 12 Nov. 2011
I bought this item after Google-ing about the winter doldrums (I live in London, England!) and found the reviews on this product to claim an increase in energy and to feel somewhat refreshed when waking up. Much to my surprise the claims are true! I love my light and think it's a great buy. I feel more energetic and generally don't wake up in a slump on these long winter mornings. I would most definetly recommened this product to anyone thinking of trying a dawn simulator. It is cute on my night stand and is easy to use. Even though the light is not majorly strong it is still nice to wake up to SOME light around your face.

I was torn between purchasing this Lumie light or the ever-so-expensive Philips brand and must say that I am glad I went with Lumie. There were cheaper options as well but it is true that you get what you pay for and I am happy to have invested the £60 to get this!

Definetly makes these UK winters somewhat bearable lol.

If you are thinking of getting this light - DO!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye winter blues, 6 Dec. 2014
I asked for this to be bought for me as a Christmas present and have now been using it for a year. I noticed a difference from day 1 of using it: I felt more awake and better able to focus at work during the winter, as well as having a brighter mood! It varies as to whether the light wakes me or whether my standard (separate) clock radio does (I always set both) but, even when it's the radio, I still feel much more naturally awake than before I got the Lumie. Absolutely no regrets and I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, awful execution., 13 July 2014
Mr. Euan Gillespie (UK) - See all my reviews
This clock really does work - the gradual, gentle awakening you get is very welcome, particularly during the winter months. It also looks good and seems solidly built. However, it's a massively overpriced and horribly designed device that fails at almost every other aspect of being an alarm clock. Don't get me wrong - I'd certainly recommend trying one of these light alarm clocks and, at the time of writing, this seems to be the only model available. But if by the time you come to read this there are alternatives, I'd suggest you try those first.

To give some examples:
- The display is BRIGHT YELLOW! It's also far too bright, even when dimmed - I have to turn it away from me to sleep, and even then it actually lights the back wall of the room! Every other alarm clock I've ever owned has had a dark red or gray/black display, and given that this clock is built on the idea that bright light wakes you up, this is an unbelievable oversight.
- The light doesn't always wake me up, so I have it set to make an alarm noise too. But rather than a normal alarm sound, it makes a horrible screech that sounds more like my carbon monoxide alarm. Hardly a pleasant thing to wake up to.
- If I wake up early, I try to turn the alarm off in advance to avoid the horrible noise and dim the light. But due to some bug the light will often start up again - even after the alarm time - so I'll come back later to find it's been illuminating my room the whole time and I have to dim it *again*.
- If I want to turn the alarm off instead of resetting for the next morning (as at the weekend) I have to hold both the left and right buttons for about a second (which took me ages to figure out). For some unknown reason when you do this it emits two loud peeps of the carbon monoxide alarm noise as confirmation - the last thing you want early on a Friday morning.
- The controls are terribly designed. It's slow to use, often requires awkward presses of two or more buttons at once, and has many strange undocumented behaviours that get in the way (like the confirmation peep for unsetting the alarm above). It was several months before my fiancee was comfortable setting the alarm. In comparison, the £10 alarm clock we replaced with it could be updated and set in seconds.

So to summarise - this may be worth buying if there really aren't any alternatives available. You will indeed get a nice, gentle awakening, but it will be followed by much grinding of teeth as you try to reset it or turn it off or change the time, all the while thinking 'did I really spend £60 on this'?