5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Picard

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea....but disappointing :(
Published 4 months ago by D.Taggart

5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sept. 2011
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea....but disappointing :(, 11 Feb. 2015
Love the idea of this and the light definately wakes you up nicely....the biggest problem is the size of the digits on the clock display. They are very small and I cannot see the time when I wake during the night or in the morning. I have to have two alarm clocks the second with large digits just to see the time. The buttons are very close together and small and you can easily press the wrong button if the dexterity in your hands is not so good. I so wish that manufacturers and designers would think that about people with poor eyesight or any other physical challenges that we all have as we get older. A waste of money for me and I am now looking for similar products that have large LED displays.

1.0 out of 5 stars the alarm noise is annoying. Top of unit gets quite warm when light ..., 20 Mar. 2015
Keeps gaining time.... Do not expect this from a expensive alarm clock, this should be a basic thing to get right. Contacted Lumie who advised I can send it back for a quote to repair. Probably not worth the cost once I've paid postage. Display very bright and not dimabble. While the sunrise feature works well, the alarm noise is annoying. Top of unit gets quite warm when light is on due to the 42w light bulb used, about time they joined the 21st century and used a LED. Overall disappointed with it and will not buy another Lumie product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if it worked, 4 Feb. 2015
The quality of the light is really nice, but this just doesn't work. I've had it for a few months now and the alarm in the morning has gone off of its own accord maybe ten times. It works if you set a different alarm for a half an hour before you want to get up, then give it a poke - it gets the message and then you can lie back and enjoy the sunrise. But that is not what I paid this amount of money for - an alarm clock that doesn't go off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 22 Feb. 2015
Quite frankly I am appalled by the quality of this product.

I would like to point out that when it worked it was great.

However, i can't stress enough how disappointing it is to spend this amount of money on a product that becomes dysfunctional after just 3 weeks of use. We tried to return the item, however it was outside the typical amazon returns period. All I want is to be able to use the product I paid for, and not have to worry about it having broken after a few days use. Which I think is fair.

Further annoyance, to this already frustrating scenario, is the fact that there seems no way to contact amazon and approach them. Had I the chance, with hindsight, to make a decision on this product- I would have steered well clear as the quality and ease of use is just not worth the hassle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very robust, 2 faulty clocks in 1 year, 16 Aug. 2014
I bought 2 of these alarm clocks, the first one at the end of September 2013 which I returned in 3 days as it was faulty (the display stop working after alarm went off). I got a replacement sent to me in October 2013 hoping the fault was a one off and this one worked until July 2014 when the display went blank and nothing... You would think for the price it would at least last a year.
The wake up light was amazing in winter so I'll definitely be buying an alternative model again, but I wouldn't get another Lumie as they just don't seem to last very long.

3.0 out of 5 stars it works, just, 3 Jan. 2013
bought this to aid winter blues early rising in the darkness. The light part is great. It acutally does make you wake up more naturally. BUT, the alarm!!!! AGH!!! it's the most grating over loud piercing blast you have heard in ages. all the good work of the light wasted by the SHOCK TACTICS of the alarm

2.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheaper than you might expect, doesn't really deliver on promises., 23 Nov. 2014
I was pretty excited when I bought this; during the summer months I am an early riser and never struggle to get out of bed in the morning, however in the darker winter months I feel the opposite. This alarm clock seemed like it was exactly what I needed! I am sad to say that after using the product for a few weeks I have decided that I would not recommend this product.

To be absolutely fair, I would say maybe 2/5 mornings I do wake with the light before the audible alarm is initiated. If you have the motivation to get out of bed immediately then maybe you would find a use for this product, but please read below for some things that have put me off the product.

1. It gets very hot. Maybe there is no way around this, it is a bright bulb contained in a small plastic casing, so yeah, it gets hot.
2. You need to consciously set the alarm every night. Every other alarm clock I have had in my life you set it once and it will continue to wake you up at the set time until you switch it off. Not this one - very backwards design!
3. You have to hold down a button to dim the light until it is out... why not just have an off button?
4. It has an illuminated clock face that dims when you turn the alarm on so you cannot look at the time if you wake up in the middle of the night...

I have rated 2 stars because yes, 2 times out of 5 it does wake me up gently... I guess it isn't the alarm clock's fault I fall asleep again and rely on the audible alarm in addition to this.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed.., 27 Nov. 2014
No where near as effective as my old Phillips one...have to use the audible alarm which I never did before....disappointed....thankfully was able to fix my old one so back using that

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie alarm., 19 Jan. 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.