5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm...
Published on 23 Sept. 2011 by techpuppy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sept. 2011
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Way To Wake Up, 19 Oct. 2012
I wasn't looking to spend too much money on a dawn simulator, as I personally had no previous experience in this area and didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that may or may not work in helping to wake me up without me being groggy the whole day! This works, and is a reasonable price when compared to many other simulators out there!

I ordered the light a couple of days ago and it arrived, very well packaged, yesterday! My first impression of the Lumie starter 30 is that although it is made up largely of plastic, it still seems to be a sturdy build, and the plastic does not in any way feel cheap or fragile! There are only 3 buttons on the whole unit and these can be used to customise a range of options. I do recommend a read through of the manual (not very long) in order to familiarise yourself with the settings.

This morning I woke up to a wonderful sunrise thanks to my Lumie Starter 30 Bodyclock. I have placed it on my bedside table, and woke up gently to the increasing light. For a reasonably small size, this unit lets out a very comfortable amount of light!

I have been feeling really tired all day recently and unable to concentrate due to tiredness! Today was the first day after a long time that I actually got through the day without any hint of tiredness, not to mention i have been in an unusually jolly mood! I honestly do think that the Lumie played a part in this!

One feature which I am so glad this Lumie has is the capability to turn off the display clock. I am a light sleeper and need pitch black to sleep! The option to turn the clock display off at bed time is fantastic as you don't get any unnecessary light. If you however wish to check the time, just press the (-) button and the time shows for a few seconds!

Also, it is really handy to have a user replaceable light bulb, an important factor to take into account, something I believe the Philips dawn simulators are lacking!

Bottom Line - I'm so happy I got this bodyclock! Its only been a short while but i'm already greatly impressed with this purchase. Im looking forward to waking up gently to a light every morning, as opposed to an intrusive sound alarm in the dark. I can already tell that this will be a huge help on those winter mornings when it is still dark out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie alarm., 19 Jan. 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now I'm an early-riser thanks to Lumie!, 15 Jun. 2014
I heard someone suggest this years ago, and I wish I had listened back then.

I always had trouble getting to sleep before midnight /1am and realised the only way to really get to sleep earlier was to get up earlier..

The problem has always been that drowsy don't want to get up feeling in the morning. I thought this clock might be too good to be true but when reading the other reviews I thought it must be worth a try.

I have to say at first I was still a little unsure of how successful it was, as I had already been disturbed a couple of times for the first couple of nights, but after that I had full night deep sleeps, and woke feeling very fresh and non-drowsy thanks to this clock!

A word of advice, though; Unless you're using the audible alarm as well as the light (which I haven't done so yet) You will need (at least at first) to set the alarm around 15 minutes before you NEED to be up. Also you'll need it in a position that it faces you for best effects.

Only downsides are;

1) It could do with an 'off' button, rather than press and hold the - key to turn off
2) It doenst seem to be effective AT ALL for the opposite side of the bed - so no good for couples relying on the device
3) It can be too easy to forget to set it (as you will need to press sleep every night before going to bed)

But negatives aside, it has achieved my goal of being up early, fresh, and resetting by body clock - so well worth a look if this is your goal!

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm..., 23 Sept. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received a wake-up light as a gift nearly 2 years ago (a Philips HF3480) and it's been the best alarm clock I've ever had, not only waking you on time but doing it in the most civilised way - like being woken by a whisper instead of a police siren. Although it works year-round I have noticed that it's definitely more effective on the darker Winter mornings or in bedrooms that don't catch the morning light.

This Lumie Bodyclock STARTER features a fixed 30 minute sunset or sunrise function and one bleeping (quite annoying) alarm - the bleep is optional, only there as a safety-net in case the light doesn't wake you. The controls are simple enough although the manual is a bit obtuse in explaining them. You activate the sunset function by turning the light on to your chosen brightness before switching on the alarm - the light will now fade to darkness over a fixed 30 minute period. On full brightness the light, which is daylight-coloured and virtually shadowless, is bright enough to read by and the sunset function means you're gently reminded to put the book down and go to sleep when it becomes too dim to continue. In the morning, 30 minutes before your chosen alarm time, the light starts to fade up again and somewhere in that 30 minute sunrise you should wake up again - I find I usually wake up before it reaches full brightness.

You can choose to display the time in 12 or 24 hour format and the clock display can be set to dim or go off completely during the night, which is great if glowing LED's bother you in the bedroom. There's only one alarm sound and no inbuilt radio. The bulb is a replaceable Halogen unit good for 2000 hours, which is only the same as a double-life tungsten bulb and much less than most low-energy bulbs. The sunburst effect cast on the wall behind the light is cute - it's achieved by the ventilation holes cut in the back of the top cover. The top cover lifts off easily for bulb replacement but be aware this also exposes a potentially very hot bulb to inquisitive fingers - it might not be the best choice of night-lights for use in a kids' room.

If you've never tried a wake-up light before the Lumie would be an affordable way to test one out. It's a basic model that's a bit low on features but as a wake-up light it does a good job and it's a smaller, neater unit than some. I can't help feeling the halogen light source has been superseded now by LED options available elsewhere, they use less power and emit no heat so they're safer but the Starter 30 is still, as the name implies, an affordable way to start waking up in the light...

3.0 out of 5 stars it works, just, 3 Jan. 2013
bought this to aid winter blues early rising in the darkness. The light part is great. It acutally does make you wake up more naturally. BUT, the alarm!!!! AGH!!! it's the most grating over loud piercing blast you have heard in ages. all the good work of the light wasted by the SHOCK TACTICS of the alarm

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 11 Sept. 2013
I bought this after my previous sunrise alarm clock broke. I love these clocks as they make my mornings so much easier to cope with. This is a good clock, as soon as you've figured out how to change the settings, which are simple enough after 2 or 3 goes. I do feel that other sound options would be nice, as this only has a beeping wake up noise. My previous clock had a range of sounds including jungle and beach sounds.

I also like the sunset option that the lumie clock has. I do wish you could set the time it starts to dim at, but as soon as I'm used to it I suppose there won't be a problem.

This clock was delivered to a relative in the UK before it was then resent on to the Falkland Islands and the packaging handled a long journey very well.

I would recommend this clock to others if they want one to try out before going for a more expensive sunrise alarm clock. I think the next time I would buy a different one, but only because I really do prefer the jungle sounds to wake to, rather than the beeping (if I use an alarm).

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised!, 12 Nov. 2011
I bought this item after Google-ing about the winter doldrums (I live in London, England!) and found the reviews on this product to claim an increase in energy and to feel somewhat refreshed when waking up. Much to my surprise the claims are true! I love my light and think it's a great buy. I feel more energetic and generally don't wake up in a slump on these long winter mornings. I would most definetly recommened this product to anyone thinking of trying a dawn simulator. It is cute on my night stand and is easy to use. Even though the light is not majorly strong it is still nice to wake up to SOME light around your face.

I was torn between purchasing this Lumie light or the ever-so-expensive Philips brand and must say that I am glad I went with Lumie. There were cheaper options as well but it is true that you get what you pay for and I am happy to have invested the £60 to get this!

Definetly makes these UK winters somewhat bearable lol.

If you are thinking of getting this light - DO!!

5.0 out of 5 stars so this is what it's like to be able to function in the winter months, 2 Nov. 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lumie were one of the first companies to try to help people who are affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and this alarm clock has been specifically designed to help people who are affected by SAD.

SAD is triggered by the lack of direct sunlight and the symptoms vary from person to person, but it is said to affect 1 in 50 people, with the "winter blues" affecting 1 in 8 people and that it affects more than 4 times more women than men.

My life has been disrupted by SAD since I was a child. One of the symptoms of SAD is problems with waking and with still feeling tired even though you may have had full nights sleep. At first it was believed that I would simply grow out of it, or that I was just being difficult, it was even suggested that I was just a lazy child. None of which were true.

I am what is called "an owl" (a person that works better at night than in the day) rather than a lark (a person who works better in the daytime rather than at night), which doesn't help with the whole "can't wake up properly in the morning" problem.

There are two main ways of dealing with SAD:

- take medication to deal with the symptoms - depression, tiredness, inability to sleep, inability to wake up fully, etc

- use a SAD light.

I already take too many tablets to deal with a pre-existing illness so I really didn't want to take any more. I purchased a Blu-light (Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light) a while ago which helps once I have woken but doesn't help me wake.

I saw this alarm light and decided to give it a try.

I've been using it for nearly 2 months and at first I couldn't see any real difference, but in the last (approximately) 3 weeks I have noticed that I seem to be more refreshed when I wake. Of course it could be a placebo effect, but at the present time I don't care. I am able to start the day with a feeling that I am awake and conscious of what people around me are talking about, prior to this it would take me until about 2 pm to gain that level of consciousness (and that was with the use of the blu-light).

The light comes with a bulb provided but it is packed separately, and this caused me a problem. You need to slide the cover off the light in order to gain access to the bulb connection, and the more I tried the more I became afraid of breaking the cover. Fortunately a very patient lady on the Lumie Careline talked me through the whole process and eventually the cover came off. I popped the bulb in and slipped the cover back on.

I plugged it in and it didn't come on. The lady on the phone was very restrained considering the idiocy of the person she was dealing with and asked, kindly, if I had switched it on at the wall ... yes I had. Had I switched the light on at the front? No, I hadn't. She gave me a good 10 minute run through of what to do for certain settings (I hadn't asked for one, but she must have thought I needed the help). Thanks to her, the instruction booklet and the design by manufacturers, Lumie, operating the clock (setting the time, the alarm, switching the beeper on/off, etc) is very easy - you simply scroll through menu and use the plus and minus buttons.

Spare bulbs are available through Lumie if and when you need them.

I cannot use an ordinary electric alarm clock as the slightest light in the room can disturb my sleep, so glowing (usually red) numbers can keep me awake all night. The clock's brightness can be increased or (thankfully for me) reduced. On its lowest setting the light from the clock is almost invisible in daylight, but clear enough to read at night without keeping me awake.

In the last week I have turned the beeper alarm off, but I originally started with it turned on, just in case the light didn't wake me. Yesterday was the first time I didn't set the light alarm at all, it was a complete oversight, but I woke up nearly on time by myself. It would appear that the light is training my body to wake at the regularly required time. I wouldn't like to do this too often as I could envisage the effect of the light wearing off if I forgot to put it on for several nights in succession.

The alarm is annoying because you have to set it every night, there is no memory to carry it from night to night (at least not one that I have found, but I might have missed it). Other than that I am highly delighted with the wakeup clock.

All-in-all a great "alarm" and an impressive company with a patient and very friendly customer help line. The design is reminiscent of the art-deco movement and the sunray effect against the wall is quite lovely. My ability to function when I have first woken up has improved, which is something which I am delighted about.

This isn't a cure for SAD, but along side my Blu-light it has improved my quality of life and has helped me start to perform better in the darkness that comes with the winter months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 2 Dec. 2011
Good product. I found the manual very intelligble (contrary to what I read in other reviews prior to purchasing). Have been trying it for a week now and am still discerning whether it is the sunrise light that wakes me up or the excitement of the alarm clock(have noticed I dream more often and as a result have felt more awake in the morning). Only down side to the alaram clock is the alarm clock's function (beep tone) where one is woken up by a rather harsh beep (takes away the subtleness of the light), and no way to turn the volume of the beep down.