5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!
Lumie Bodyclock

Published on 21 Sept. 2011 by Picard

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm...
Published on 23 Sept. 2011 by techpuppy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bodyclock finally in order!, 21 Sept. 2011
Picard (USS Enterprise) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock STARTER 30 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Sunrise and Sunset Features (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Raising the alarm..., 23 Sept. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received a wake-up light as a gift nearly 2 years ago (a Philips HF3480) and it's been the best alarm clock I've ever had, not only waking you on time but doing it in the most civilised way - like being woken by a whisper instead of a police siren. Although it works year-round I have noticed that it's definitely more effective on the darker Winter mornings or in bedrooms that don't catch the morning light.

This Lumie Bodyclock STARTER features a fixed 30 minute sunset or sunrise function and one bleeping (quite annoying) alarm - the bleep is optional, only there as a safety-net in case the light doesn't wake you. The controls are simple enough although the manual is a bit obtuse in explaining them. You activate the sunset function by turning the light on to your chosen brightness before switching on the alarm - the light will now fade to darkness over a fixed 30 minute period. On full brightness the light, which is daylight-coloured and virtually shadowless, is bright enough to read by and the sunset function means you're gently reminded to put the book down and go to sleep when it becomes too dim to continue. In the morning, 30 minutes before your chosen alarm time, the light starts to fade up again and somewhere in that 30 minute sunrise you should wake up again - I find I usually wake up before it reaches full brightness.

You can choose to display the time in 12 or 24 hour format and the clock display can be set to dim or go off completely during the night, which is great if glowing LED's bother you in the bedroom. There's only one alarm sound and no inbuilt radio. The bulb is a replaceable Halogen unit good for 2000 hours, which is only the same as a double-life tungsten bulb and much less than most low-energy bulbs. The sunburst effect cast on the wall behind the light is cute - it's achieved by the ventilation holes cut in the back of the top cover. The top cover lifts off easily for bulb replacement but be aware this also exposes a potentially very hot bulb to inquisitive fingers - it might not be the best choice of night-lights for use in a kids' room.

If you've never tried a wake-up light before the Lumie would be an affordable way to test one out. It's a basic model that's a bit low on features but as a wake-up light it does a good job and it's a smaller, neater unit than some. I can't help feeling the halogen light source has been superseded now by LED options available elsewhere, they use less power and emit no heat so they're safer but the Starter 30 is still, as the name implies, an affordable way to start waking up in the light...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 28 Feb. 2013
Aready owning, using & loving my Lumie SAD lamp, i had high hopes for this clock & was pretty excited looking forward to waking up with a smile on my face as big as the one pictured on the box of the bright eyed happy bed slumbering lady!

Forget it. I woke up like a feeling like a miserable grizzly bear.

I gave it two stars...one star because it works as an alarm clock (alarm on or off), & a second star because it works as a lamp, but that's it, i just cant see how it deserves more

These are my BIG dislikes about this Lumie clock...

1. The clock display on the front is fiddly to set, but once it's done it remains very bright. I had the clock on my bedside table & i sleep facing it...the digits were way too bright for me to sleep through. It is possible to dim or even turn the clock display off entirely but i found it didnt work until my sixth or seventh attempt at pressing the necessary sequenced buttons. This is the bit that really annoyed me...i had to do this every single night! Every single bedtime i found myself faffing around with the buttons, punching the sAme pattern in repeatedly until it finally accepted the instructions to switch the clock light off. I really do not want to be doing this every single bedtime.

2. I didn't feel a soothing sensation of gradually increasing light in the room, jn fact it didn't stir me at all, that is, until the full beam finally hit. This full beam woke me with a start & every time i used the wake up lamp it felt like someone was pointing a shockingly bright torch right in front of my sleeping eyes. Absolutely awful way to wake up. Nothing at all like the gentle awakening from the natural daylight making it's way through the curtains. & i certainly don't wake looking happy unlike the lady on the box.

So the two most important features of this product really let me down. Maybe i was sleeping too close to the lamp as i was right next to it (but they advertise it in such a position & theres no mention of it needing to be placed further away) & maybe my clock didn't accept the push button instructions until the umpteenth time because it was faulty? I don't know, but im too put off by the whole thing to want to try again.

Could be used as a lamp only i guess, i like how you can choose the brightness of the light, but for me if it was just a lamp i wanted, id buy something much more attractive for that purpose.

Great big shame, my Lumie SAD lamp is amazing, i really hoped this would be too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea....but disappointing :(, 11 Feb. 2015
Love the idea of this and the light definately wakes you up nicely....the biggest problem is the size of the digits on the clock display. They are very small and I cannot see the time when I wake during the night or in the morning. I have to have two alarm clocks the second with large digits just to see the time. The buttons are very close together and small and you can easily press the wrong button if the dexterity in your hands is not so good. I so wish that manufacturers and designers would think that about people with poor eyesight or any other physical challenges that we all have as we get older. A waste of money for me and I am now looking for similar products that have large LED displays.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Way To Wake Up, 19 Oct. 2012
I wasn't looking to spend too much money on a dawn simulator, as I personally had no previous experience in this area and didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on something that may or may not work in helping to wake me up without me being groggy the whole day! This works, and is a reasonable price when compared to many other simulators out there!

I ordered the light a couple of days ago and it arrived, very well packaged, yesterday! My first impression of the Lumie starter 30 is that although it is made up largely of plastic, it still seems to be a sturdy build, and the plastic does not in any way feel cheap or fragile! There are only 3 buttons on the whole unit and these can be used to customise a range of options. I do recommend a read through of the manual (not very long) in order to familiarise yourself with the settings.

This morning I woke up to a wonderful sunrise thanks to my Lumie Starter 30 Bodyclock. I have placed it on my bedside table, and woke up gently to the increasing light. For a reasonably small size, this unit lets out a very comfortable amount of light!

I have been feeling really tired all day recently and unable to concentrate due to tiredness! Today was the first day after a long time that I actually got through the day without any hint of tiredness, not to mention i have been in an unusually jolly mood! I honestly do think that the Lumie played a part in this!

One feature which I am so glad this Lumie has is the capability to turn off the display clock. I am a light sleeper and need pitch black to sleep! The option to turn the clock display off at bed time is fantastic as you don't get any unnecessary light. If you however wish to check the time, just press the (-) button and the time shows for a few seconds!

Also, it is really handy to have a user replaceable light bulb, an important factor to take into account, something I believe the Philips dawn simulators are lacking!

Bottom Line - I'm so happy I got this bodyclock! Its only been a short while but i'm already greatly impressed with this purchase. Im looking forward to waking up gently to a light every morning, as opposed to an intrusive sound alarm in the dark. I can already tell that this will be a huge help on those winter mornings when it is still dark out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumie alarm., 19 Jan. 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.

3.0 out of 5 stars it works, just, 3 Jan. 2013
bought this to aid winter blues early rising in the darkness. The light part is great. It acutally does make you wake up more naturally. BUT, the alarm!!!! AGH!!! it's the most grating over loud piercing blast you have heard in ages. all the good work of the light wasted by the SHOCK TACTICS of the alarm

1.0 out of 5 stars the alarm noise is annoying. Top of unit gets quite warm when light ..., 20 Mar. 2015
Keeps gaining time.... Do not expect this from a expensive alarm clock, this should be a basic thing to get right. Contacted Lumie who advised I can send it back for a quote to repair. Probably not worth the cost once I've paid postage. Display very bright and not dimabble. While the sunrise feature works well, the alarm noise is annoying. Top of unit gets quite warm when light is on due to the 42w light bulb used, about time they joined the 21st century and used a LED. Overall disappointed with it and will not buy another Lumie product.

2.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but unfortunately it has an intermittent fault, 27 Nov. 2014
I like it, but unfortunately it has an intermittent fault. And now I have had it over 4 weeks I can't return it and don't know how to contact anyone about the warranty. Can anyone out there in the ether help?

1.0 out of 5 stars Would be great if it worked, 4 Feb. 2015
The quality of the light is really nice, but this just doesn't work. I've had it for a few months now and the alarm in the morning has gone off of its own accord maybe ten times. It works if you set a different alarm for a half an hour before you want to get up, then give it a poke - it gets the message and then you can lie back and enjoy the sunrise. But that is not what I paid this amount of money for - an alarm clock that doesn't go off.