5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Perfection V600
Bought Jan / Feb 2011 with the sole intention of scanning Medium Format (120) roll film, since buying i've decided to go to the Ilford B+W system and now i'm developing all my own film aswell... lots of negatives to scan...
Published on 15 May 2011 by jb

I got this to scan a few more old family photos that turned up after I'd sold my Epson V700. (Doh!)

I like the faster warm up compared to the V700.

It does a decent job. I've scanned maybe 40 negatives and 300 prints.

As with the V700, the results are not as sharp as I'd have liked.
It's also pointless using very high...
Published on 19 Feb. 2012 by Class of 1984

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Perfection V600, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner (Electronics)
Excellent product, some comments about the frames to hold the negatives could be true - they do feel a touch flimsy but be careful and they don't fall apart, the software however is a let down, the software sees the framing of 35mm well enough but it applies the same mask to 120 film... pointless... Get a copy of Vuescan - so much more control over the variables and scan rates)

Incidentally - on a 120 format film a 12800DPI scan yields a 400MB TIFF file, stick to 6400DPI and convert into JPEG (using Adobe lightroom to sort exposure compensation etc...) and you'll be left with approx 8MB depending on how much of the image you crop out

The depth of resolution is excellent on this scanner, i struggle to see how the next scanner up can improve - maybe it makes coffee aswell??

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Job, 13 April 2010
I am in the process of archiving all my old photographs and negatives to disc. So far the Epson Perfection V600 has done everything I have asked it to do. The scanning of multiple images certainly helps as I can scan 5 or 6 pictures at one time. The scanning of negatives and slides also seems fine. The only thing I would like is a negative holder for 110 film. To date I cannot find fault and the ICE technology certainly improves very old black and white photographs. Quality of scanned images is better than I expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Feb. 2011
JMD1 (Bute, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have just bought one of these to replace my old Perfection 3200. The 3200 was a really good scanner but when I upgraded to Win7 64bit the Epson scanning software was not compatible. Epson provided a driver but could not offer an upgraded software package. So for me, the scanner was rendered useless. I tried various third party scanning software such as Vu-Scan and Laser Soft but there really is no substitute for the proper stuff. I found that even simple copying was a labourious task with poor results. I really had no option other than to replace the 3200.

The 3200 had given me excellent service so I wanted a scanner that gave at least as good a performance. Trawling through reviews I zoomed in on the V600 and the many positive comments settled it and I decided to buy one. I am absolutely delighted with my purchase. I thought the 3200 would be hard to beat but this scanner is light years ahead. I scan lots of photographs and negatives of classic cars and had up until now been happy with the results but wow, every little gleam, every piece of chrome and shiney bodywork simply leaps off the screen in a way that I didn't think possible from a scanner in this price range. I am so impressed that I am actually re-archiving many photographs, negatives and slides that I had previously thought to be of a very good standard.

Scanning slides and negatives was always a bit of a trial. It was really difficult to eradicate dust and spots. Epson's own dust removal tool was pretty lame and often removed fine details in addition to dust. So, I would spend literally hours cleaning images up with Photoshop and this would take the pleasure out of the whole exercise. I had read many articles on Digital Ice and despite general praise for it, I was quite cynical. Boy did I get a suprise. It actually works and the amount of time spent cloning on Photoshop has drastically reduced. I keep it set to the default, 'medium' setting and this produces excellent results. It should be mentioned at this stage that Digital Ice will not work with Kodachrome slides. This is something, as I understand it, to do with the yellow dyes in this type of film. This is a pity as I have many Kodachrome slides.

Now you will note that I have only given four stars rather than five. This is due to the fact that the scanner is made of some very, VERY cheap looking and feeling plastic and I really do wonder how robust over time it will be. The 3200 was built like a bus and weighed a ton but you got a feeling of solidity and reliablity with it that simply is lacking in the V600. The flims carriers too are of poor construction in comparison to the 3200. I seriously doubt that they will endure long, daily scanning sessions. Shame on Epson for this and in my view they have tarnished an otherwise great product. Clearly there have been some major cost reductions. They should realise that scanners at this end of the market get much more use than the cheaper ones and quality of build does count. If you buy one, and I hope you do, exercise real caution when using it or you could find yourself with a big, expensive broken toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than happy with the V600, 12 Jan. 2013
Decided I needed to get a photoscanner to archive my 90 yr old fathers transparancy collection. Most reviews just added to my confusion and seemed like reading hifi reviews of years ago.I have always taken an interest in photography but wouldnt class my self as a keen amateur. To me the quality of the scans was important but so was cost , time to execute etc. I finally decided not to go with a pure film scanner like a plustek as I decided there was a benefit in also copying some old family prints and thought the ability to scan some family prints from cruises ,weddings and graduations would also be a worthwile benefit. So that meant a flatbed. Next what resolution ability was needed. The more I read I was convinced that prints would need 600dpi and film and transparancies for archive storage should be at 3000 or 4000 dpi. This would allow at least good quality 10 x 8 prints to be made if required. Next step was decide if ICE was required to remove scratches. I decided it was and this has proved a real winner in practice.I now wouldnt want a scanner without this ability.

So which model ?. I set budet of around £200 so a Epson v700 was out. The Epson V600 met my soec and budget plus it had good reviews.Finally what software would be provided. Silverfast seemed to be the benchmark but Epson manager seemed user-friendly and the inclusion of Adobe photoshop elements 9 clinched the deal for me.( worth about £80 to buy seperately.

In practice. I have concluded my requirements were sound, The scanner is delivering a 4 transparancy set scan at 3000 dpi with ICE dust and scratch removal in about 11 mins. Time to get a coffee once started. The jpegs print well at 10 x8 and obvioulsy look fine on my 46 inch tv where most viewing is done with the family. My only dislike is the transparancy holder that encougages finger marks on the plate. I also invested in a rocket air pump to blow away hairs etc. Overall I am very pleased with the V600 and now just need time to tackle the 8000 slide library.. and oh yes i do need a light box to help with sorting of keeper slides from the rest.
[[ASIN:B002TAA3MY Epson Perfection V600 High Resolution 6400 x 9600 dpi Scanner]

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive bit of kit, 15 Jan. 2011
Having worked in the graphic arts industry for over 20 years. A couple of years ago I moved on, and lost the facility to scan transparencies. After taking on a project with a significant number of colour transpaencies in it, I needed a piece of kit to handle it. Whilst I looked at the V700 the budget didn't stretch that far. So opted for the V600, as it met most of my criteria.

On arrival, which was earlier than the ETA, managed to get installed really easily, and get a few medium format transparencies on it to test it. And WOW! I wasn't expecting the performance which it gave. (Even on a G5 Mac). Whilst the quality isn't quiet upto high end pre-press/ repro drum scanner, it was better than acceptable. So much so, it has now created alot more work for me, scanning a significant library of transparencies.

For the price point, a product which performs really well (especially with my expectations!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Eventually, 3 Jun. 2010
I bought this for home use, to scan in photos for a photo book being constructed in Aperture (on an iMac, Snow Leopard, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 3GB RAM). I knew I would be working with some very old photographs (more than 100 years old), old format B&W negatives, slide film and 1970s colour prints. With a lot of material, I didn't want to wait too long for each scan.

The scanner worked fine on all prints and negatives, but consistently introduced a red line down all of the colour transparencies. Thinking that a newer driver might solve the problem, I tracked down one on the Epson website (v 3.81, rather than the ver 3.80 supplied on the CD). It didn't solve the red line problem, but it did introduce some very strange 'light bars' across the preview image. These weren't replicated in the scanned images, but they did make it much more difficut to operate the scanner and were clearly not something to be lived with. I tried rolling back to the original installation using time machine, to undo problem No: 2, but could not get back to ver 3.80 of the software.

I called Epson, who were very helpful, and we agreed that the red line problem was probably a hardware fault - they hadn't heard of it before. Amazon were excellent about the return. DHL collected the old one the next day and Amazon had already despatched the replacement scanner, so I had a new scanner very quickly.

Undoing the software fault was problematic, but eventually successful. The short story is to use the Epson scanner installer, in uninstall mode, and then reinstall the software from scratch. It's not enough to just drag the Epson app folders into the bin. Now I'm running Ver 3.80 of the scan software, with no light bar artefacts in Preview and no red lines on the colour slides. Hooray.

Now that I'm running correctly, my comments are:

1. The scanner is excellent. Quick and does a great job. I've scanned about 300 images so far. I have played with all the various settings and concluded that, most of the time, the scanner does a great job all on its own.

2. Epson were very helpful - thank you! However be wary of the later driver on their website!

3. Amazon should be commended for the speed of replacing what turned out to be a faulty product.

Thumbs up all round. Great product, and I just write off my original 'red line' problem to bad luck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but avoid if you care about resolution accuracy / aspect ratio, 19 Feb. 2012

I like the faster warm up compared to the V700.

It does a decent job. I've scanned maybe 40 negatives and 300 prints.

As with the V700, the results are not as sharp as I'd have liked.
It's also pointless using very high resolutions.
600dpi is probably the limit for normal sized prints.
2400dpi for negatives / slides.
Going much beyond those settings doesn't really extract any more information.
You just end up with huge files and slow scanning.

However, by chance, I discovered something really annoying.
When scanning at 600dpi, the actual resolution is about:
594.54dpi across (X)
599.11dpi along (Y)

This means that people will appear slightly thinner for "normal" orientation when the scans are viewed on a screen or printed.
And if you rotate 90/270 before scanning, people will appear slightly fatter instead.
It's not huge, but it's noticeable, especially if you scan both ways on and compare them.

Looking at some scans done by the V700 reveal that it looks like it had the same problem!
However, an old Canon 3200F that I used about 7 years ago was spot-on, but with poorer colour accuracy etc.

Interestingly, I found someone else complaining about similar / worse problems with a V200 here:
[...]

Most people probably won't care, but I wanted to let you know.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scanner but digital ICE is a disappointment, 23 Mar. 2012
I've had this scanner for nearly two weeks now. I'm using it for digitising my old collection of 35mm slides. On the whole, the scanner seems to perform well and I'm getting good results from my scans.

One problem with scanning old slides is that they tend to have accumulated lots of dust over the years. This is where I was hoping that digital ICE would come in but I was disappointed here. Digital ICE does tend to reduce the effects of dust contamination but is far from totally effective, with some dust marks still remaining, and it does tend to leave artefacts where the dust marks have been removed. Also, and rather more problematic, when I use digital ICE, I find that it creates unpleasant black and white fringes along high (and occasionally not-so-high) contrast edges. For this reason, I find that I cannot use digital ICE and have had to resort to more conventional and/or time-consuming, manual dust removal in Photoshop. This is why I have reduced my rating from 5* to 4*.

Apart from the one drawback, however, it's a nice piece of kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can only scan film to 120 size not A4, and image quality's not quite as good as the Epson V750 - but decent film scans and fast, 16 Jan. 2014
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have the '4,800 dpi' Canon 9950F dedicated A4 film scanner at home, which was their £300 top of the range A4 flatbed film scanner when Canon was more serious about scanning film (after ten years of digital cameras scanning film is now a niche activity, which is why Nikon no longer produce film scanners). The top Canon model now is the £180 '9,600 dpi' Canon 9000F II, a competitor to this Epson V600 scanner, neither of which offer the Canon 9950F's build quality and up to A4 film scanning flexibility. Still top marks to Canon and Epson for still persevering with quality film scanners for home users - in film scanning terms this V600 is a 'budget' offering. The Epson V600 flatbed was easy to set up and install with my 64-bit Windows 7 PC, although I only get four 35mm mounted slides or eight negatives in the holder, compared to 12 slides or 30 negatives in my Canon 9950F. My Canon 9950F can scan to full A4 8.5" x 11.7" negatives whereas this Epson V600 is limited to 2.7" x 9.5", ie. up to 120 film negative size (6cm wide medium format film in a strip up to 22cm long). I run the scanner via Photoshop CS6 twain - a plug-in you must download from Adobe. Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 for PC/Mac can also control the scanner, as can the Photoshop Elements 10 supplied free with the scanner - which has most of the features of v1).

My 35mm colour slide collection goes from the 1950s to 1980s, and from then my wife insisted we moved to lower resolution colour film negatives (but at least I still have all the 35mm negatives). The supplied Epson scan software actually made a pretty good job of scanning all my colour slides, although it's scanning adjustment options like colour restoration or Digital ICE dust removal worked well for some slides but badly for others (although generally you could see if the optional adjustment was likely to be successful by looking at the preview scan image). Although the scans still takes minutes, I was impressed by this V600's scan speed. Its LED system scans far faster than my Canon 9950F for a given resolution, certainly well over three times the speed at 4,800 dpi (although you do have to keep swapping slides over as the V600 can only scan 4 mounted slides at a time and that can delay things when you forget to do the swap overs). Scanning still takes around five minutes for four 35mm slides at 4,800 dpi with the V600, but with my 2.8Ghz Core2 quad core gaming desktop PC I could still do other chores like browse the internet when scanning. It did take a while to find the V600's power on button, it's hidden on the right side and not at the front as at first it seems. The V600 is powered by a neat 13A lap-top type transformer brick, and a USB2 cable is supplied along with the 35mm mounted slide/negative holder and the 120 6cm film holder.

The film scan image quality wasn't really that different between the Epson V600 and the Canon - both scanners resolved the film quite well although they have that typical soft focus blur at maximum enlargement common with all flatbed scanners (which can be improved a little using Photoshop's sharpening tools). You could see more detail scanning at 4,800 and 6,400 resolution over 2,400, but that was at 100% enlargement and with most film the extra detail was fairly minor (but still there). All scans from the V600 looked good up to A4 print size, i.e. pretty good on a 24" PC monitor. I have compared my Canon 9950F and Epson V600 with scans from a £20,000 Hasselblad Flextight film scanner, and although the Hasselblad definitely had sharper focus, in effect it was the film grain that looked far clearer and little extra photo detail was scanned from my prosumer Agfa/Perutz/Kodak 80-100 ASA slide film, as all the scanners were scanning beyond the resolution of standard film. The £20k Hasselblad Flextight has a higher dMax though so detail in shadows was improved (although Photoshop's shadow highlight helped out the V600 a lot). My Canon 9950F had slightly better detail in shadows, but again the difference was minimal compared to the V600. I use a Giottos Rocket Air Blower to blow dust off the film before scanning - be careful when using cloths or brushes as the film is easily scratched, particularly on the emulsion side.

In general it was difficult to tell any difference between the Canon 9950F and the V600 in terms of image quality, although the Canon Scangear software generally made a worse job of my very old faded (red cast) 1950s slides, and the V600 scans were pretty good at bringing back the blues and greens. With slides that had minimal fading there was really no difference between the two scanners. My upmarket Epson V750 at work did produce better colour corrected scans as it had ITC colour targets for calibration, but these targets are expensive and the V600 Scan software can't use them anyway. You should always use the filmholders by the way, as these flatbed scanners have a fixed focus and expect the film to be slightly above the glass platen. The scanners manual and Scan software are both available on the supplied DVD and on-line.

In general though I was quite impressed with the scan quality from this scanner. At £200 this flatbed scanner only makes sense if you have loads of film to scan (and the time to do it - scans per slide/negative take minutes), otherwise you may as well get the film scanned commercially. But if you have the time and the film, and don't want to spend more for the Epson V700/V750 then this scanner does a decent enough job of digitising your family's irreplaceable film archive.

Pro's
-----
Scans fast for a consumer hi-resolution flatbed 35mm film scanner. Although it still takes many minutes to scan 4 slides.

Relatively cheap compared to the flagship V750 film scanner, and the results aren't that different with both scanners using standard consumer colour slides and negatives. The V600 image scan files look good on a 24" IPS monitor or up to A4 enlargement. The V600 is also great for B&W film, and printed photos in reflective mode.

The Epson Scan software is actually quite good in professional mode and generally if you have problem slides, e.g. badly faded in the green/blue selecting various options gives a really good scan. Likewise selecting the wrong options can produce a really bad scan, although the preview helps you chose the best options.

It has Kodak Digital ice infra red hardware for dust removal and feature repair that works quite well with colour slide, negative film and colour prints, but can produce a less sharp image and artefacts so I only use it when I have to. There's also a software 'dust removal' tool to work with any film type. Plus there's a free copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 provided, which is powerful photo editing software for improving the scanned image.

The scanner works with Hamrick's Vuescan which offers more features than the provided Epson Scan software (Vuescan costs $40 and $80 for the Standard/Pro versions). I own Vuescan, but generally use Epson Scan as it works well enough and has a prettier interface - only my Vuescan Pro offers IT8 Colour calibration (but being expensive I don't have any calibration targets so can't use the option).

Con's
-----
The V600 is expensive as a general home office flatbed scanner, this is a scanner for film and photos rather than general office chores - it does great reflective scans though and there's basic character recognition software supplied with it.

Digital Ice dust removal is unsuitable for B&W reflective silver grain negative film and doesn't work with Kodachrome colour slide film either as its cyan dye layer absorbs in the infra-red. Digital Ice did give great results with my dad's 1950s Kodak Ektachrome colour slides that had small green flecks all over them (Ektachrome is a different film process to Kodachrome and works fine with Ice).

Scanner build quality is rather lightweight although the film-holders work OK. Being light, this V600 scanner is easier to lug around than my heavy Canon 9950F.

Scans are limited to 120 film maximum size, whereas the Epson V750 can scan film to A4 size with a lot more film in one batch. Plus you can't use colour calibration targets for accurate colours as is, but then many home users probably aren't bothered by a lack of exact colour reproduction. The V600 scanner has a one year warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality. Easy to use and a free copy of Photoshop!, 9 Dec. 2013
Amazoniac (Norwich) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Computer - Mac Book Pro, OS 10.9, 4GB memory.

Like so many others "of a certain age" I have boxes full of old negatives and slides that I haven't clapped eyes on for over 25 years.
Up until now it has been difficult or expensive to get these images reprinted, and I originally purchased an "ion film to SD" scanner to try to get some of these images back onto paper.
That was 'OK', but it was 2 years ago, so when I was given the opportunity to try out this scanner from Epson I was curious to see if there would be any difference in the images I got out of this one compared to the ion.
There certainly is!
I love almost everything about this scanner. It looks good and it is easy to operate.
It is solidly built, and weighs enough to sit still on the desktop - I do sometimes worry about lightweight scanners moving slightly as the motors and gears whirr inside them. It has the ability to scan paper items and also film/slides.
You can use it on "auto" (and even in auto you can set some controls), so it will do almost everything an average person will probably need.
But - it also has access to manual controls (professional mode) which gives the more advanced (or fussy) user much more control over the final output.
For scanning flat images on paper, card, old photographs simply place the image (image side down) in the machine, close the lid and launch the supplied EPSON scan software. Select you preferred mode and away you go. The lid is hinged in such a way as to allow quite thick items to be scanned, like thin packets and boxes.
For scanning slides and film the procedure is similar, but you also have to take out the thin pressure plate in the lid to reveal the second light source. Then place your negatives or slides into the plastic frame that comes with the scanner, put on the scanner bed , close the lid and press the scan button. The light in the lid shines through the slides/film into the scan chamber below, which is what generates the image.
It's a bit like having a slide projector on your desk, if you see what I mean?!
The scanner also comes with a version of Photoshop Elements, which is a great bonus, as this currently sell for about 50 pounds.
I have added some of my results to the 'customer images' section of the page so you can see what I am getting.