4.0 out of 5 stars nice to have some music from her!
i was really sad when she ended her contract with Sony, this album was never released here in Mexico and i waited a lot of months to see if it would come out like her other discs but didn't :c so i had to order it online and it was for a great price!

Published 14 months ago by Marco Guzmán

3.0 out of 5 stars Harsh
Published on 13 Oct 2009 by J. Ball

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars nice to have some music from her!, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)

the album itself is one of the best of Natalie and definitely is worth the purchase, i loved it, good songs, nice artwork and great delivery service from Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe The Hype, 6 Nov 2009
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
Having read some of the reviews on this site, I was a little apprehensive about receiving this CD. I ordered it from Amazon US on the strength of the new material on 'Glorious' and didn't want to wait until February for it to be released in the UK.

I'd previously downloaded the track 'Want', which took a bit of getting used to (not a good sign when some of the lyrics were pinched from 'Be With You', my favourite of the new tracks on the previous release).

Things didn't start well. The first track was appropriately titled, as I took an instant dislike to 'Oh God' but things improved massively with 'Lukas' (my favourite track). As I seem to recall a previous reviewer saying, 'Fun' has quite a Christmasy feel to it. 'Twenty' and 'Scars' are also really good and I liked all of the other tracks, through to the bouncy closer 'Wild About It'.

After a few listens I was singing along and even the opener had grown on me. In fact, I like the album so much I've since ordered the Japanese release, which has a bonus track on it.

My one gripe about the album itself is that it only has 10 tracks, which is bad value (particularly having paid more to import it).

I was disapponted to read that the album only sold 740 copies in it's first week of release in Australia. I can only assume the record company there did nothing to promote it.

Also, what is going on in the UK? Why the wait until February, almost 5 months after it's release elsewhere? Strange when you thing that this must be one of her biggest markets.

If you like Natalie's previous work, then I fail to see how you can't like 'Come To Life'. Yes, it's different to what she has done before but wouldn't it be boring if every release from an artist sounded exactly the same?

Give it a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars As a fan what other score is possible, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
When you buy a CD it is generally because you like the artist. It is highly unlikely I'd rate any CD I bought as less than 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Feb 2010
Mr. L. Hatchett "lloydieboi" (Portsmouth, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
Come to Life shows the diversity of Natalie and her versatile performances, having seen her life you can't fail to be impressed. Natalie comprises beauty and real talent and deserves a lot more credit and popularity than she receives, perhaps thats why her fans are so dedicated; because she's great!

Scars is my favourite track, showing similarities to previous releases and being the best potential single along with Lukas which is unique. Its dissappointing the number of tracks wasn't greater, Apologise would have been a great addition or a self titled track related to the album. BUT Natalies fab and I Come To Life whenever I hear her!

Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Breeze, 26 July 2010
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
A very polished / slick album that sounds really good on my iPod (sat by the pool on holiday). A much more delicate affair compared to previous albums but it really works.

3.0 out of 5 stars Harsh, 13 Oct 2009
J. Ball "Joshua Ball" (Valencia, ES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
After reading all the absolutely harsh reviews I thought I better write my own to counter balance the argument! First and foremost this is the most "edgy" release from Natalie Imbruglia since the start of her career. I have to give her credit that she has really experimented with her style which unfortunately has created a few duds. On the other hand it had also created quite a few decent tunes.

"My God" opens the album, heavily Chris Martin influenced, it does sound like a Coldplay B side, however, it is pleasant and catchy enough. The tone then reverts back to Natalie's previous stlye with "Lukas" which in my opinion is one of the strongest tracks on the album, something which I expected to see more of here. "Fun" and "Twenty" are completely boring and deserve a skip. "Scars" is a nice enough song but it never really kicks in. Then suddenly the album explodes with "Want" which is an excellent track, it does take a few listens to get into but it has been stuck in my head for the past few days now. The rest of the album fades into a bland electronic blur finishing with "Wild About It" which is an excellent song.

Overall,I feel this album suffers from multiple personality disorder. There are about four or five good tracks but the rest are total drivel. A really disappointing release from Natalie, especially as fans have waited a good few years. The production is excellent and I imagine many hours of slaving away passed before this album. Unfortunately it is lacking something, perhaps it has had too much time devoted to it.

Another point is the release date? What the hell is going on? This album is a disaster promotion wise and I can only think it has been delayed in the UK to add extra tracks? Pull it together Natalie, we know you have it in you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new album, 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
despite all the negative reviews here i think this album is one of the best natalie has ever made. of course, left of the middle stands alone,because of the blockbuster-hit "torn".

but there are some very good, soulful and good written songs on it: Lukas (l love it), Fun, Scars, My god. and there are some electronic songs which show that Nat is very versatile like wyut and cameo.

maybe this album is too good for today's mainstream pop-biz?

3.0 out of 5 stars Gone but not forgotten, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
Firstly, after hearing the Japanese bonus track 'Flirting' I'm quite surprised this song was not included on the standard album - it's fantastic. It's middle of the road pop genius and Imbruglia sounds wonderful. This could even have been released as a follow-up single to 'Want'.

Back to the main album - although never officially released in the UK, I did import a copy from abroad and believe this to be a good album, albeit not as strong as her previous three. Perhaps more a continuation of Counting Down The Days sound than a complete reinvention as some have perhaps suggested.

Tracks such as 'Lukas', 'Scars' and 'Fun' are typical Natalie Imbruglia-sounding tracks and are well-written and enjoyable to the ear. More experimental tracks like 'Cameo' and 'Want' push Imbruglia into current pop territory and offer her fans a glimpse of something different and progressive, these tracks work effectively and show Natalie can complete with the best of the current pop scene and not just the acoustic/pop type.

Unfortunately not everything works as well, 'WYUT' (What You Up To) doesn't quite work, with a clunky chorus that doesn't really hit the mark and ballad 'All The Roses' is a bit too somber and slow for an album that is predominately pop and electronic, sounding more like a left-over from 2001's White Lilies Island. 'Twenty' also feels a bit limp and could easily have been replaced by the greatness that is 'Flirting'.

Vocally Natalie sounds better than ever and musically it's refreshing to hear some progression and see her take some musical risks. Unfortunately some of these risks haven't quite worked, making this probably the least enjoyable Imbruglia album, despite containing some of her best songs (Lukas, Want, Fun, Flirting and Scars).

4.0 out of 5 stars Growing on me, 14 Sep 2010
Mr. S. Gordon (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
Probably not as good as her previous three albums which are all excellent but it's growing on me

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Hit and Miss, 8 Oct 2009
yB (Sunderland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come to Life (Audio CD)
I've absolutely loved all of Ms.Imbruglia's other albums, all 5 stars, all regulars in my CD player, so I had no hesitation importing this one.
But I have to say I'm disappointed, while there are one or decent tracks the overall quality is way down on her earlier work. The good news is that "Want" is by far and away the worst track, remove that and the album immediately gains another star.
Track by track:
1) My God : livelier than most of Nat's earlier work but you can tell it's still Nat, still has the Imbruglia feel. 4/5
2) Lukas : Just a filler for me, inoffensive, nice that there's "proper lyrics" but musically anonymous. 3/5
3) Fun : slow down-beat track, strangely evokes feelings of the highlands or 70s Christmasses or the song played at the end of the party as you tidy up and the stragglers leave. Would have fitted on Counting Down the Days. 4/5
4) Twenty : Its in the normal mid-tempo Nat territory but something doesn't quite feel right about this one, production a bit off or something, doesn't flow, a bit shrill at times. 3/5
5) Scars : Standout track for me. Proper Natalie Imbruglia, maybe a little slower than ideal but still the kind of song you buy Nat's CDs for. 5/5
6) Want : And then the other extreme. Repetitive, up-tempo electro vocally distorting, grating snorathon. 1/5
7) WYUT : Still fast beating, electronic, vocal-distorting, but this is how it should be done. Its lively, it has character and attitude. Or maybe I just like it because it came as a relief after Want. 3/5
8) Cameo : Still electronic and slightly uptempo but this is darker and ... interesting. 3/5
9 ) All the Roses : The album slows down again, really slows down and Nat's vocals are back. Not the traditional Nat sound, its a smoother track that draws you in.4/5
10) Wild About It : First time I heard this in the viral campaign I really didn't like it. Now I'm just not particularly fond of it. Laboured, tries to dance yet it still sounds leaden. Disappointing end to the album.
So overall, not completely unified with her earlier work (miles away from Left Of the Middle), not a world-beater, but still not the disaster that "Want" suggests it would be.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Come to Life
Come to Life by Natalie Imbruglia (Audio CD - 2009)
Click for more info