5.0 out of 5 stars Wow
Published on 29 May 2010 by EMW

3.0 out of 5 stars the same as the game !
If you have played the game, you can safely ignore this flick. It is basically the same... same story, even the same sequences sometimes.
I have played the game, so this was boring for me. There was nothing new in it.

Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Dunkelheit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 29 May 2010
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I was really surprised at how good I found this. I was worried that it would be too...niche, for me, as I'm not into manga or anime and the likes. I just decided to try this on a whim as, while I haven't read the book or played the game, I know the gist of it and find it interesting. We get to follow Dante's journey through Hell to save his love Beatrice, getting a nice tour of the different locations in it.
Anyway, I thought this film was great, a couple of minor flaws, such as, as other reviews have said, the way the characters change with each different director. You'd think they would have met and decided on a look, but the main characters look completely different in different stages of the film, which is weird and a bit confusing, though I found it quite amusing how Beatrice's breasts got steadily bigger towards the end.
However, on the whole an exciting, well depicted story with decent plot and voice acting. Bravo.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it! An Anime fans' POV!, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
I found this film to be quite refreshing and very interesting. I didn't know what to expect at first and was very intrigued by this release. Now before I go on I will say that this film will have a very cult following and may not be to everyone's taste but fans of the macabre, Anime and possibly Dante Alighieri fans will absolutely love this! I'll also say that a Bluray purchase is not nessessary as cel animated films pretty much look the best they can on DVD upscaled so you may want to DVD it. Id say the only real advantage with this is the sound.

This is an animated adaptation of Dante's first book in The Divine Comedy; Inferno. If you're not familiar with it, we follow Dante on his journey through hell to reclaim the soul of his lover, Beatrice from Lucifer (The Devil), he has to pass through the 9 circles of hell to reach her with the aid of his companion, the poet Virgil (Devil May Cry fans may start to understand things a bit better!)

The film is animated by four separate Japanese anime studios so the animation varies. You may start to see characters change and action scenes shot differently as you watch the film, I thought this was a nice idea and very original. If you are familiar with anime and manga and the style of it you will be at home with this and it will tick all the boxes. Please do not expect an Advent Children style of film as one reviewer already has and was extremely upset, this is naive and you will be disappointed if not surprised!

The animation is traditional Japanese animation or cel animation so you know what to expect immediately. For the laymen this is the oldest and most successful form of animation to date and is essentially a backbone for companies like Disney. The story is over 700 years old so it is what it is and I can't really comment, it's been condensed and some violence added in a nutshell and it's somewhat..less poetic which will upset fans of Dante's work I imagine but this is more of an Anime fan's film. The action is intense and is as you would expect from Japanese Anime. It's fast, hard, OTT and extremely, unnecessarily violent...Fantastic! The music is excellent and it follows a very eerie theme that fits the film perfectly.

I really enjoyed the film as im a massive fan of Studio Ghibli, Manga adaptations and Gonzo. I've read Dante Alighieri's Inferno and it took me a year, this film explains it nicely and a lot simpler with an added bonus of wall to wall mindless violence and outstanding traditional Japanese animation!

If like me you are a massive Anime fan and love the standout pieces like Akira, Afro Samurai and Princess Mononoke then you will definitely not be disappointed with this and it's more than a worthwhile purchase. If you are not familiar with anime but you liked the game I still think you will be pleased. If you're new to the whole process then id say tread with caution and you may want to work your way up and maybe start with Akira or similar. I have given it four stars as it isn't as good as the classics but then what is? Please don't be put off by negative reviews, this is not poorly animated it's just not Finding Nemo and some people will be upset by that but then again it's not Urotsukidōji either!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great anime, great uncompromising story with brilliant characters , a classic!!!, 22 Feb 2010
majorlynch (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
PROS:
- Brilliant story, which shows the levels of hell and is uncompromising in stating who ends up on which level of hell.
- Excellent characters which are fleshed out and the voice work is very good, especially for Dante and Beatrice
- Excellent animation, several different artists are used which means the main characters look slightly different on each level.

CONS:
- The characters being animated differently in each level can take you out of the film briefly.
But each new version of Dante Virgil and Beatrice is very well animated so its no loss.

Overall if your a fan of anime, dantes inferno, horror or a good storyline, buy this.
I wish more animated movies were made to this standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars An animated epic, 1 April 2011
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Dante's Inferno is an animated tale based on the EA game of the same name. It chronicles Dante's descent through the 9 circles of Hell, guided by the poet Virgil, in an effort to reclaim his beloved Beatrice's soul whom the devil has claimed as his own.

Fantastically animated by the same animation houses responsible for animated greats such as The Animatrix & Dead Space:Downfall we see Dante struggle with his inner-sins as they are reflected by the specific circle he finds himself in. The visualisations of the characters shift as each animation-house takes over (there are 4 shifts) and this can be distracting as you try and re-identify who is who from the previous segment, however this is something that I, for one, am becoming more & more familiar with as it seems to be very prevalent in anime these days.

The action is tense and sporadic and fantastically animated, I was enthralled for the entire 85 minutes, despite never having played the game or read the original. Recommended for fans of Anime or even those who want to see an excellent execution of the Inferno story.

3.0 out of 5 stars the same as the game !, 30 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
I have played the game, so this was boring for me. There was nothing new in it.

I cannot comment on how the movie feels if you have not played the game. If you have not, you migiht consider buying it since technically it was well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome art, the best things of the game, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This is a great movie. The art is beautiful and I loved the visions contributed by the different artists. It is everything that is great about the game without the repetitive gameplay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Very odd animated film but done brilliantly. Quite scary and bloody in places but if you like it you like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and offbeat, 25 July 2013
M. Hevingham "Mark Hevingham" (BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Never having played the game, I purchased this "blind" due to the price.

I was very impressed. The animation begins with a very strong sequence but overall loses a star not for the differing styles, which are all interesting, but for the lack of continuity between them. Whilst the different animators and directors are all strong, the characters change around every ten minutes - Dante himself morphing from traditional Anime to almost Animated Batman style.

The story is strong and very bleak - and doesn't pull any punches.

As a one off tale that doesn't seek to copy any other film or show I have seen this film impresses; the fact that its based on a game is neither help nor hinderance. It's 89 minute running time seemed a lot shorter and I was left impressed.

Extras are weak and a commentary and/or making of would have been welcomed.

If you are doubtful buy a used cheaper copy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell is here, 23 July 2013
DK-BUYER (LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
Limbo, Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Heresy, Violence, Fraud, Treachery. Those are the Nine Circles of Hell which Dante Alighieri made famous in Dante's Inferno, which again is the first tale in in Dante's Godlike Comedy.

Dante's Inferno, An Animated Epic, takes you on a mind-boggling journey through hell, where Dante faces evil forces and fights amazing and fantastic demons and monsters to save his beloved Beatrice from the claws of Lucifer.

This animated movie, which lives up to Electronic Arts' successful computer game Dante's Inferno is portrayed very well by visionary animators and animation instructors from different countries - among others the creative people behind some of the most defining animated movies ever (Ghost In The Shell, Blood: The Last Vampire, Tales Of The Black Freighter and Samurai Champloo).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] (Blu-ray)
EA have come up trumps with this movie the can hold there head up high with the likes of Manga here. I fully recommend this movie also look out for the Dead Space collection from EA.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dante's Inferno [Blu-ray] [2009] by Yasoumi Umetsu (Blu-ray - 2010)