Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

on 2 September 2011
It would appear that `folk' music has gone through something of a `quirky' phase of late. If you want further proof then check out this debut recording by Alexander Wolfe. Something of an enigma, Wolfe's story could act as the backdrop to a whole TV series...and who knows, maybe one-day it will be utilising his own stop-frame animation. In laying his innermost thoughts bare, our protagonist really opens his soul and in so doing makes the listener feel as if they are privy to the most intimate knowledge of this fascinating character. Considering Wolfe himself plays a majority of the instruments on the recording his, at times tortured vocals makes it all the more remarkable he finished the album at all. Cathartic meanderings may not be the choice of many, as they seem too mournful but in the imaginatively constructed songs featured here I feel that we may have stumbled across a South-East London cousin of the late great Alan Hull as there are even splashes of colour provided by harmonica...rather like early Lindisfarne. Even more unusual is the track "Teabags In Ashtrays" where he employs circus style analogy with the addition of some well-placed horn and string section interjections and I'd suggest that if you've got a few minutes you check out his You Tube video ([...]). Hopefully, like me, you too will be captivated by what I hope will be the first of many soundtracks from this broad-minded artist. By the way Mr Wolfe - if you read this review, I'm sure your grandfather would have been proud of your decision to sell the Rembrandt Lithograph print...but that's another story. Cracking stuff!

PETE FYFE
on 10 December 2010
I heard the track 'a song for the dead' from the bbc series 'whites' and could not get it out of my head, so i bought the album and have not looked back. Powerfull and touching songs.
on 16 March 2012
Wonderful moody and atmospheric album made by a great musician with an interesting backstory, under appreciated by radio which is typical for the UK
on 17 December 2014