4.0 out of 5 stars Its ok...
I bought the GF Collapsible to soften my portraits for weddings and I have to say that it does make a difference but it is also is really heavy and bulky. Does the job though. If you are one of those fussy pixel peepers like me you are going to need one of these.
Published on 5 May 2011 by Matty

2.0 out of 5 stars Harsher than you might think (the light that is)
Published 18 months ago by aqua

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Its ok..., 5 May 2011
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)

2.0 out of 5 stars Harsher than you might think (the light that is), 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I bought this having watched the video of its virtues being extolled at a presentation. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to try it out straight away, otherwise I would have returned it. I wanted something to use with my Nikon SB 900 flashgun, which it does fit, for events, indoors at weddings and so on, in places with a ceiling too high for reasonable bounce flash. However, despite the hype, it has not been my experience to date, that it diffuses the light any better than the diffuser which comes with the flashgun. I tried a few experiments with disposable plastic 'tubs' and feel they did as good a job but obviously you couldn't turn up to a professional job with a tub flapping about on the front of your camera and this diffuser does at least look professional. If this were 15 it might be worth buying but this is, in my opinion, way over priced. Maybe I expected too much but its only what I thought the presentation was showing me. Having now bought it, I will try to use it some more and find out the situations where it works best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Fong Lightsphere, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
This item is an absolute essential, perfect for a corporate shoot i recently did, as the only light source it worked perfectly, and being collapsible made it fit in my medium sized camera bag perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars LightShere Collapsible, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I first saw this used at a friends wedding, this is the best flash device i have come across. I use a Nikon D2X and a Nikon SB900 flash gun, it is difficult to fit to the flash as the gripper is tight around the flash head, however it is well worth the effort as the photographic results are far improved with the lightshere fitted. It perfectly diffuses the light to take out the normal harsh flash, used in the bounce position the pictures are much better than with the standard bounce card supplied with the flash. I would recommend this to anyone who is series about their photography. Yes its not cheap but given the results I think it is worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Mr Fong but I believe you are ripping people off., 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I have red much on this product and watched numerous videos. Opinions were so decided I decided I must try it myself. The result. I was not impressed. I tried all maner of angles, distances and configurations with little or no success.
Used on my SB900 head on with the dome defuser attached it does soften the light a little but no more than ,ost any other defuser so not worth the extortionate price. It also casts significant and heavy shadows which are hardly softened at all.
Then if you want to add accessories such as the 'Kicker' or 'Chrome Dome' you get hit with a cost of another 43.95. A colour dome kit is a further 31.41.
So after damming this product so thoroughly I guess I should offer something else. There are similar 'knock-off' products to be had on Amazon at a fraction of the cost. Might try one myself for curiosities sake.
Then there is my solution. Roll a sheet of white copier paper round the flash head and stick the edge down with cellotape and then . . .
Oh hang on. Thats' it. Simple. What's more you can slide the paper tube up and down the flash head to vary the amount of light thrown forward in accordance with the flash subject to distance to keep shadows to an absolute minimal or dependant on subject to background distance. Eliminate them completely.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product albeit a tad expensive..., 30 April 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I used it for some wedding photos and portraits, worked well and gave good results, just a bit on the expensive side for what it is...

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the same performance from a piece of paper/card for a fraction of the price, 30 Mar 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
The lightsphere does nothing wrong, it's well made and does help diffuse the light effectively.
The collapsible design is welcomed as a space saving feature (ie in your camera bag)

I compared the output of the lightsphere to a simple plain piece of white paper, and my conclusions are it's impossible to tell which one I used. The white paper did just as good a job, and you can buy a ream of it for only a few pounds (if you want to get advanced then laminate some paper so you can re-use it)

I have no problems with plastic fit flash diffusers, but having used this I felt a more appropriate price would be 10-15 at most, right now it's just a crazy price for moulded plastic...don't be fooled with the marketing this does nothing better than many cheaper rivals that sell for a fraction of the price..or a piece of A4 paper and sellotape

You could even improvise as I have with empty containers around the house, they work just as well. Marketing v reality isn't always what you expect, the Fong lightsphere is a classic example.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit stiff!, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
Like the difusser is just right for the job BUT is a pain to attach to flash and difficult to extend and retract.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great must have for any wedding or party photographer, 13 Aug 2014
gary fong Lightspere

I use this dome for weddings indoors with the dome attached it spreads a great even light all around the room lighting people evenly, fitting straight on to your speedlight using the gel sides no straps or velcro.

Advise on fitting i would always fit to speedlight when it is off the camera, I say this because it does take a little gently force to push it over the flash, and if the flash is already on the camera you may cause damage to the hotshoe, plus trying to hold the camera with the flash attached is heavy enough to say nothing about trying to fit this lightsphere.

If your a wedding or party photographer this is a must have the item holds up on itself as well so great space saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent diffuser - well worth the money, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I bought this to photograph my first wedding - it's really versatile and throws more light forward than the old 'businesscard and elastic band' trick. I tried it on my 430EX2 and there was some difficulty in rotating the head as the head is quite short - but it works perfectly on the larger 580 flash.
This is great for bounce flash, but as it's pretty small it's useless head on. The manufacturer claims that it will diffus the light for outdoor portraits, but I have not found this to be the case as the size of the lightsphere is still relatively small. Unbeatable for bounce flash if you also need to throw some light forward. Not that good for head on diffusion. Glad I bought it, would replace it if lost or stolen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›