4.0 out of 5 stars Its ok...
I bought the GF Collapsible to soften my portraits for weddings and I have to say that it does make a difference but it is also is really heavy and bulky. Does the job though. If you are one of those fussy pixel peepers like me you are going to need one of these.
Published on 5 May 2011 by Matty

2.0 out of 5 stars Harsher than you might think (the light that is)
Published on 21 Feb. 2013 by aqua

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Harsher than you might think (the light that is), 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I bought this having watched the video of its virtues being extolled at a presentation. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to try it out straight away, otherwise I would have returned it. I wanted something to use with my Nikon SB 900 flashgun, which it does fit, for events, indoors at weddings and so on, in places with a ceiling too high for reasonable bounce flash. However, despite the hype, it has not been my experience to date, that it diffuses the light any better than the diffuser which comes with the flashgun. I tried a few experiments with disposable plastic 'tubs' and feel they did as good a job but obviously you couldn't turn up to a professional job with a tub flapping about on the front of your camera and this diffuser does at least look professional. If this were £15 it might be worth buying but this is, in my opinion, way over priced. Maybe I expected too much but its only what I thought the presentation was showing me. Having now bought it, I will try to use it some more and find out the situations where it works best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its ok..., 5 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Gary Fong Lightsphere, 15 April 2012
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
This item is an absolute essential, perfect for a corporate shoot i recently did, as the only light source it worked perfectly, and being collapsible made it fit in my medium sized camera bag perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars LightShere Collapsible, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I first saw this used at a friends wedding, this is the best flash device i have come across. I use a Nikon D2X and a Nikon SB900 flash gun, it is difficult to fit to the flash as the gripper is tight around the flash head, however it is well worth the effort as the photographic results are far improved with the lightshere fitted. It perfectly diffuses the light to take out the normal harsh flash, used in the bounce position the pictures are much better than with the standard bounce card supplied with the flash. I would recommend this to anyone who is series about their photography. Yes its not cheap but given the results I think it is worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Mr Fong but I believe you are ripping people off., 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I have red much on this product and watched numerous videos. Opinions were so decided I decided I must try it myself. The result. I was not impressed. I tried all maner of angles, distances and configurations with little or no success.
Used on my SB900 head on with the dome defuser attached it does soften the light a little but no more than ,ost any other defuser so not worth the extortionate price. It also casts significant and heavy shadows which are hardly softened at all.
Then if you want to add accessories such as the 'Kicker' or 'Chrome Dome' you get hit with a cost of another £43.95. A colour dome kit is a further £31.41.
So after damming this product so thoroughly I guess I should offer something else. There are similar 'knock-off' products to be had on Amazon at a fraction of the cost. Might try one myself for curiosities sake.
Then there is my solution. Roll a sheet of white copier paper round the flash head and stick the edge down with cellotape and then . . .
Oh hang on. Thats' it. Simple. What's more you can slide the paper tube up and down the flash head to vary the amount of light thrown forward in accordance with the flash subject to distance to keep shadows to an absolute minimal or dependant on subject to background distance. Eliminate them completely.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the same performance from a piece of paper/card for a fraction of the price, 30 Mar. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
The lightsphere does nothing wrong, it's well made and does help diffuse the light effectively.
The collapsible design is welcomed as a space saving feature (ie in your camera bag)

I compared the output of the lightsphere to a simple plain piece of white paper, and my conclusions are it's impossible to tell which one I used. The white paper did just as good a job, and you can buy a ream of it for only a few pounds (if you want to get advanced then laminate some paper so you can re-use it)

I have no problems with plastic fit flash diffusers, but having used this I felt a more appropriate price would be £10-£15 at most, right now it's just a crazy price for moulded plastic...don't be fooled with the marketing this does nothing better than many cheaper rivals that sell for a fraction of the price..or a piece of A4 paper and sellotape

You could even improvise as I have with empty containers around the house, they work just as well. Marketing v reality isn't always what you expect, the Fong lightsphere is a classic example.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its good. It does what it claims and does it well., 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
This purchase was a necessity for a photograph purpose. The item was delivered well sealed and in super rapid time even on standard delivery. I was impressed. The problem with photographic items - especially specialised ones for a limited market is the cost. Its ridiculous. It has no relationship with the manufacturing cost of a plastic item like this for almost £60. Shocking. However, wherever you go for photography items its the same deal.

It's probably not your immediate vendor that's up to this; it's more likely someone up the line that's doing the rip and its being done on a grand scale. It could just be rip-off Britain because this item costs pence to produce in China and anyone selling this will have it made in China if they have any sense. The cost is the only reason why I rated this item a 3. Otherwise on merit it would have got 4. Yes, the effect of using it is very good and its convenient and neat, collapsing as the description says, into a very small package that really will not add to your bag in any appreciable way. The seller's approach to rapid despatch is very encouraging and I am confident you can deal with them with confidence.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product albeit a tad expensive..., 30 April 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
I used it for some wedding photos and portraits, worked well and gave good results, just a bit on the expensive side for what it is...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any camera bag., 18 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
Some say that for a basic piece of plastic this is expensive. My view is I couldn't make one and it is so simple to use and provides consistent and reliable results therefore is it very good value for money. Its pretty robust, fits any quality flash and folds down to a compact size for your bag. Get one it's great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over rated., 19 Jun. 2014
A. Hulme "ahulme5" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible Flash Diffuser (Camera)
To be honest I found this no better than my £3.50 flash diffuser.
Just sold it on an auction site.
I use a 7D and a 5D mark iii so I don't mind spending money on good products.
This to me is over priced over hyped sorry !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›