‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic and Memories, 10 May 2010
Sarah Butler (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
My partner and I travelled through South East Asia last year, well... I say travelled, it would be more accurate to say we ate our way through South East Asia!

We fell in love with the exotic and tantalising tastes of Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia. The shrimp paste, so offensive to begin with became a sweet perfume and Laksa for breakfast became an obsession.

We returned just after the screening of Rick Steins Far Eastern Odyssey and so didn't see any of the shows. However having flicked through the accompanying book I decided to buy it as so many of our new favourite dishes were explained; along with two new chapters of taste to explore in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Since November I have cooked nearly 80 of the 150 recipes included and they are wonderful. I am not going to be satisfied, however, until we have tried everyone.

Recently, it occurred to me to get the DVD too and now we are eating fantastic, authentic dishes whilst watching Rick cook them up in familiar surrounds. It brings back such excellent memories of our wonderful trip. His passion and interest in the food he cooks is so engaging, we find our selves sitting on the each of our seats glued to every action, hanging on every word as he mixes the most amazing combinations of ingredients and flavours. I would recommend the book and the series to anyone. Even if you are not totally smitten with the food of the subcontinent at the start you will be at the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rick Stein, 14 May 2010
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely fantastic series, especially for anyone who has been or is thinking of going to Asia. Would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
A wonderful DVD full of colour, recipes and information. Exactly as expected from this top class chef and presenter.

4.0 out of 5 stars RICK STIENS far eastern odyssey, 25 May 2010
D. Lloyd "luvmovie" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
What an absolute treasure he is , a tourist, guide, chef, all in one lovely man , u just want to watch every episode at once, .Rick makes me feel like he is your friend showing you around places you may never get to see,and has given me many new and exiting meals to try ,. A lovely series takes u out of the hussle n bussle, into a world of spice n herbs n meats n fish and how to make a wonderfull dish. SIT BACK RELAX AND ENJOY FOOD GLORIOUS FOOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars a joy, 7 Feb 2011
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
Rick Stein is entertaining in a way a lot of other celebrity cooks aren't. He is a good communicator. Obviously erudite as well as talented in the kitchen, it is a pleasure to follow his path across South East Asia, or France for that matter. His quotes from the likes of Fisher and David show that he thinks about and gives due consideration to the food he cooks and is revealing to us. I love that he is able to share his obvious excitement at being in the middle of a local fish market or a barn of a kitchen surrounded by boiling pots. The sheer joy of new discoveries, of different flavour combinations and ways of doing things. I highly rate his use of description to give you an impression of the dish in terms of smell. Cheers also to the researchers who found all the fabulous characters and other chefs along the way. The recipes he makes don't seem dumbed down either and it is a joy to see fresh ingredients being celebrated and used so well. I am very jealous of his trip to Ibu Oka in Bali... see it and find out why. The Balinese should hire him to do an advertising campaign for the island. 3 cheers for Mr Stein and may his adventures continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
Just as I expected, but then as this was a recording from the TV series I knew what I was getting. Indeed that's why I bought it! As well as the recipes, the film showed fantastic scenery and local eating houses and a good insight into local culture with an informative running commentary - all in Rick Stein's wonderful laid back style. Such a shame it's not available for other regions as my sister in USA would love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying!, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
As with the French Odyssey, this is a quality watch. Well put together, very relaxing and very entertaining. Stands out from almost all other telly chefs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great programme but get an atlas..., 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
Wonderful show and recipes, but doesn't go near the Far East = China, Japan, Korea. Takes quite a stretch to say Bangladesh is in the Far East.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful DVD, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
Rick Stein's DVD is a travel documentary as well as a
marvelous cooking instruction for South East Asian food.
Both elements are blended in together so that one
almost feels one is there physically .

5.0 out of 5 stars First class as usual, 28 Jan 2014
C. E. Francis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] (DVD)
Another great DVD from Rick. I have never travelled to the Far East but Rick gives us glimpses of more than the food. Really relaxing to watch and some really great, unusual recipes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD]
Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey [DVD] by David Pritchard (DVD - 2010)
7.52