4.0 out of 5 stars This is the book after the movie
Published 24 months ago by Vicci's Books

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm only giving it one star for punctuation.
A lot of heroes in American crime novels like to drink Scotch, and often they fail to capitalise it, which annoys me. If the Danes get a capital letter for their pastries, and the Welsh for their rarebits, I think the Scots should get one for their whisky. This book at least manages that.

Unfortunately, that's the best I can say about it. It's about two six...
Published on 15 Jan. 2013 by Gavzilla

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the book after the movie, 4 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Crucifix Killer (Paperback)
Some wonderful books get made into films, and we despair at the quality; wailing about how much was left out and the lack of depth. Well, Chris Carter has bypassed the "write a brilliant book and hope it gets made into a film" nonsense and gone straight for a ready made film script and plot. It's all there; the blood, guts, and gore; some excrutiating dialogue - including some classics such as, "Just make sure you get the bastard/sonofabitch/evil (something or other)" and various reworkings thereof; lots of beautiful people that have no character or depth who we don't care one jot about (I have read all the books and still cannot get a picture of what Hunter, Garcia, et al look like or experience any feelings towards them other than wondering if Hunter is how Chris Carter imagines himself); make sure at least one of the good guys gets badly hurt or killed and then end with good triumphing over evil and the killer getting caught.

And yet here I am giving it four stars and buying another one. Why? Because it's like eating a bag of Skittles.

Skittles have no nutritional quality whatsoever; they rot your teeth and play havoc with your waistline, but they flash with great colours, taste good, are easy to handle and digest, and are scoffed in ten minutes. You think you won't eat them again but then you see another bag...

Chris ends each chapter with a 'cliffhanger' and you just HAVE to turn the page to see what's next but more often than not he keeps you waiting, and you have to read more chapters to find out. In the meantime, three more cliff hangers have been set up and you are desperate to find the answers to those too! On it goes.

All the books are pure, unadulterated, addictive drivel; enjoyable light relief from the intellectual and clever things that we would like others to think that we read. They are the treat "as part of an otherwise healthy diet". And how many of us stick to that?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing police thriller!, 1 May 2011
A. Douglas (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Crucifix Killer (Paperback)
In this book we meet Detective Robert Hunter who put away the Crucifix killer two years ago - or did he. At the time he wasn't convinced but the public needed a conviction. When a girl is found murdered in an abandoned cottage, Robert is called because the similiarities are too much to ignore! I found this a really gripping read and loved the characters. Robert is a loner who gets a new partner who happens to be quite witted and really takes no prisoners. They get on really well and Garcia's wife doesn't hate Robert which seems to happen in quite a few books these days. It isn't obvious until quite late in the book who the killer is and I was surprised when it was revealed. It's really well done and I didn't want to finish it. I was so gripped that I found myself reading the bit at the back which previews the next book!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Crucifix Killer (Paperback)
Someone at work lent me this book and pressed me to read it and, ever the obliging gent, I did so. I quite enjoyed it.
Other reviewers have covered the plot adequately, so I'll just mention it - American serial killer re-emerges after a period, showing that the man executed for the crimes wasn't the real eponymous murderer. Wizard detective Robert Hunter, who always knew that the executed man wasn't the Crucifix Killer, gets on the case and eventually nails the real culprit.
Hunter is a bit on the incredible (i.e. unbelievable) side as a character - a child prodigy who gets a Ph.D in forensic psychology so good that his thesis becomes a standard manual for the FBI, he elects not to become a Professor at Harvard (or something like it) but instead becomes a cop. A likely story - though, having said that, Gene Rodenberry gave up a career as an airline pilot to become a cop, and I recently read about another retired airline pilot who did the same - in his sixties! - so maybe the idea isn't so incredible after all.
The plot, though clever, didn't stop me guessing the identity of the killer about a quarter of the way into the book (I felt smugly vindicated when the killer's identity was revealed at the end), but there is a really good red-herring sub-plot that'll throw you right off the scent just when you least expect it.
So, a good read. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel - when my friend at work has finished it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!!, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that I really enjoyed reading. I found myself drawn into the story from the first gasp I let out in the first shocking chapter to the last "Oh My God" that I uttered in the very last pages. It is absolutely one of the best police procedural thrillers I have ever read.

Mr Carter has a very fertile imagination, especially where gruesome crime scenes are concerned. No murder is like the other and thanks to the author's descriptions, I found myself wincing more than once and feeling as though I was actually there in the same room with the victim. All characters and dialogues are also very realistic.

Ex child prodigy detective Robert Hunter (who is also a criminal profiler with a PhD) and his new rookie partner Carlos Garcia from the LAPD Robbery Homicide Division are called to a horrific murder scene. The victim is a young woman who was sadistically tortured and left to die a very slow, painful death. She is found in an abandoned cottage tied to two poles.

"He likes to watch them suffer, he wants to savor their pain."

A symbol has been carved on the victim's body. A shocked Hunter recognises the symbol as being that of a serial murderer known as the Crucifix Killer. But wait!! The Crucifix Killer was arrested and executed two years earlier after having murdered seven people. Is this a copycat killer? But the symbol was never made public to the media. No one knows about it. How could this be?

"Another phone call - another victim."

Then a second victim displaying the same symbol is found, murdered in an equally horrendous but different way. Hunter and Garcia are desperate to catch this monster. But with no clues it won't be easy. The killer knows well the business of killing and never leaves a trace. Hunter knows that the killer is out there lurking, watching and playing games with him.

The story left me guessing till the very end. Like Hunter and Garcia I was clueless. This shows the author's ability in weaving a brilliant plot. At the end I could see all puzzle pieces brought together and all of a sudden everything made sense.

I couldn't believe that this is Chris Carter's debut novel. To say that it's brilliant is an understatement and I am really glad to have discovered this author.The fact that I have already bought the next two books in the series shows how much I liked this thriller. Needless to say...Highly recommended!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 7 April 2013
Loved this book. I kept thinking "I'll just read one more chapter". Consequently, I finished it in two days. Looking forward to the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth a read, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Crucifix Killer (Paperback)
The crucifix killer is the first book I have read by Chris Carter, and I really enjoyed it. I won't go into the storyline as lots of other reviews have, but I think Chris Carver has done a great job writing the crucifix killer, as it was his first book. Chris Carter has written an easy to read crime thriller, one that has many twist and turns along the way. The characters were interesting, and well thought out, and it was interesting to learn more about profiling a serial killer. Gruesome in parts with well detailed forensics, red herrings to throw the reader off the scent, this book has all this and more. If you are looking for a good thriller, and not worried about the dialogue being perfect, this book maybe for you. I will certainly be reading Chris Carvers next two books The Executioner and The Night Stalker

5.0 out of 5 stars Books you will read and not put down until the killers are caught..., 26 Oct. 2012
waynefitz (Kildare, Ireland) - See all my reviews
ROBERT HUNTER SERIES
By Chris Carter
Not for the faint hearted, these books contain very graphic details, think ‘Saw’ in the city of lights. Books you will read and not put down until the killers are caught...

THE CRUCIFIX KILLER (#1)
LAPD Homicide Special Detectives Robert Hunter and rookie Carlos Garcia are called to a crime scene where a naked woman is nailed to a cross, faceless. On the back of her neck a strange double cross is carved into it - this must be a copy cat killing because the serial murderer known as the Crucifix Killer was put away 2 years ago! Follow the two detectives on their spiralling journey as this violent killer selects his victims apparently at random and heartlessly tortures them to death.

THE EXECUTIONER (#2)
This time detectives Hunter and Garcia have another serial killer in LA. With the memories of the Crucifix Killer still fresh in their minds and the crime scenes building up. Only a handful of officers have the stomach to view these scenes. Now with a new female captain, Barbara Blake under pressure from the chief and the mayor and the interfering and dangerous reporter Claire Anderson stirring it up in the press, they need to catch this killer fast. Trying to connect the victims together they discover a 25yr old tale, with the killer using their fears against them and literally scaring them to death.

Brazilian born of Italian origin, Chris Carter studied psychology and criminal behaviour at UM. As a member of the Michigan State District Attorney’s Criminal Psychology team, he interviewed and studied many criminals, including serial and multiple homicide offenders with life imprisonment convictions. He departed for LA in the early ‘90s, and spent ten years as a guitarist for numerous bands before leaving the music business to write full-time. He now lives in London. The remaining two titles in this series are The Night Stalker (#3, Aug 2011) and The Death Sculptor (#4, Aug 2012). (...)

As reviewed in An Cosantóir (The Defender) Magazine by Sgt Wayne Fitzgerald - (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Grippingly Gruesome, 9 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Crucifix Killer (Paperback)
I've been waiting for a writer to hold my attention for some time now. I love well written horror stories, but unfortunately they are now few and far between.

I actually read The Executioner first (bought from my local supermarket), and couldn't put it down. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this was actually Chris Carter's second book. I got straight online and ordered The Crucifx Killer from Amazon.

I hoped it would be like The Executioner, and I wasn't disappointed.

A lot of people have called the book 'cliched' and poorly written, but in my estimation there is far worse out there. Most of the 'Detective' or Crime books are written in a similiar style nowadays, so I found it refreshing to read a book that didn't shy away from delivering some 'blood and guts' to the reader. The plot was constantly twisting and turning, and I felt myself continually asking 'are they the killer?'. It's not until the very end that you actually discover the truth, which some people seem to have found disappointing, but I wouldn't want to know the end of the book at the beginning....what's the point in reading it when you already know the answer?!

My only grumble comes from the proof reading. There are some silly typing errors that should have been picked up before publishing. However, this is not the writers fault and can be overlooked as the book is so fantastic.

I have another book to read now (from one of my favourite writers - Shaun Hutson), however I just don't think it will compare to The Crucifix Killer or The Executioner.

Come on Chris.....get writing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you like crime thrillers, 7 April 2013
Well written crime thriller this is the second one I've read by Chris Carter but will not be the last. This book kept me hooked from the first page and had a great twist, gritty but compassionate, definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome, grisly murders - not for the faint-hearted., 21 Sept. 2013
As I read on the first murder kept me thinking does Carter have a problem with women. All the murders are so beastly and depraved, almost made me put the book down on a number of occasions. A lot of chapters end with a phone call, bearing new information - a slick method of making you read on.
How to rate the book? I don't like the chapter endings - too staged. Two stars. I don't like the depraved murders. Two stars. I can't recommend it as it needs to be content censored. Two stars. So many detectives are so ultra clever. Two stars.
However, I was compelled to read on. I had to know what happens. Four stars. And I bought more Carter books - a repetition of the above with different murders. I won't be being buying his newest book, One by One, because I have seen the film Untraceable. Well maybe, if it's offered for 99 pence on Kindle.
Four stars, not because I like it, but because of the compulsion to read on.