5.0 out of 5 stars 'A MUST SEE'
The story has seen many adaptations down the years, and i'm certain will see many more in the times to come, however, in my opinion this is far and away the best to date.
It tells the story of 'Dorian'(Ben Barnes) a young man gifted with good looks and charm.
A portrait captures his gifts perfectly, when 'Henry'(Colin Firth) befriends 'Dorian' a different and...
Published 15 days ago by rbmusicman

3.0 out of 5 stars A watchable remake
Ben Barnes stars in this watchable remake of Dorian Gray. Dorian, a young handsomely beautiful nobleman, is cursed and blessed with a strange gift after an exquisite portrait of him is painted. The eerily lifelike painting begins to haunt Dorian, showing strange signs of life and aging while he himself remains forever, young and flawless. But the curse of the painting...
Published on 6 Feb 2010 by GratuitousViolets

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 14 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look though perhaps not for the finer detail, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
As a film itself I thought it was certainly worth a watch (I haven't read the book so couldn't do a comparison, though that isn't really what I like to do as films should be judged as their own thing). Personally, it's not one I'm going to dash out and buy just yet (though there seem to be some very good deals to be had here on Amazon) but I am glad I watched it. It had a couple of actors in whose work I enjoy and I felt it told a fairly good story. However, it felt it was more a showreel of key events which needed perhaps a bit more development around it, such as Dorian Gray's first love and a bit of what he actually got up to during that 18 years or so when he was away. Although perhaps that's what would help make the film stick in your head as you're walking away with it - giving detail of some things, though not quite enough which causes the brain to start working filling in the gaps on its own. I would have also liked to see more of the actual painting and it's different stages during Dorian's moral decay, although I do also accept that this might have taken away from the final image.

I would say that Colin Firth absolutely owned this movie, playing a brilliant character who is bull-headed and cynical and getting caught up in his own lies and finding himself losing control what he ultimately created. I'd actually quite like to see something done about that character and his life because I'd love to see Firth reprise the role. Ben Barnes also does well and I think he has that fresh look of the young man who is easily open for corruption and who then will go in too deep with it. But, for me, it was Firth I enjoyed watching the most. This is certainly worth a look if you're a fan of his work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dorian Gray DVD, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
Really excited to find this DVD and it was brand new, arrived very quickly, fantastic film to watch i would use them again should i need to

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, worth the price of the DVD, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
This is not the best film I have seen but I enjoyed it and all the actors gave solid performances from Ben Barnes as the tormented Dorian Gray, to Colin Firth as cynical friend Lord Henry Wootton. It certainly has its moments like when Dorian seduces Lady Radley's daughter Celia and then Lady Radley herself. And the special effects are very good from the portrait absorbing all of Dorian's decadent and unrepentant lifestyle like a sponge and breathing its terrible breath locked away in a rat infested attic.

Dorian Gray isn't so much a horror film as a thriller. We are waiting for him to be unmasked, as years go by his beauty remains untouched and with the coming of the Great War he looks to be a young man and therefore cannot serve as a soldier on the front. He murders the man who painted his portrait because he discovers Dorian's terrible secret which enables him to go through life unscathed and untouched. Dorian's ethereal beauty both attracts and repels people, and it is no surprise that Lord Henry's daughter falls in love with him and he with her.

But Dorian doesn't have much luck with women who love him, his first Sybil Vane drowns herself because he abandons her and her brother Jim wants his revenge, but he is thwarted by time itself and Dorian continues.

But Henry Wootton has no desire to see his only child with Dorian, especially as he has slowly come to the realisation that his friend of many years has actually sold his soul to the devil.

An enjoyable thriller, with good special effects, an even better music score and a solid cast of actors to stop it steeping into mediocrity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good!, 30 Dec 2011
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
DORIAN GRAY is pretty good. The acting was fantastic, especially Colin Firth. I have never read the book so I don't know which is better, but this film was very good. The storyline was amazing. I do know that this film is quite different from the book. The ending was both disgusting and exciting. It is far from being the best film of 2009, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend DORIAN GRAY. 7.5/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
The movie is ok to start with, but by about 25 minutes in it begins to become very slow. Had to stop watching about halfway through, watched the end the next day. It is not a terrible film, but does not live up to the original.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking depth, 3 July 2010
HJ (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
I've not read the book and in any case this is about whether this is a film worth watching - it is watchable but ultimately I could've made a better rental selection.

I thought Colin Firth was very good, nonetheless the film on the whole wasn't great. The characters didn't feel fleshed out to me and it sometimes felt like a tv movie with a quite decent budget, to be honest despite the sex scenes the best comparison would be to say it was like something for kids tv, or a Sherlock Holmes episode from the late 80s.

3.0 out of 5 stars quite creepy and scary, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Dorian Gray [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I would really like to give this 3 and a half stars because its rather better than many critics said. Its a bit scary and atmospheric and not boring or stupid like many so-called horror movies. Quite a lot of blood and gore, but with a really good story attached. I liked it anyhow and found it really nice and creepy.

3.0 out of 5 stars average, 22 Feb 2010
Winstar (Genoa, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
More than a movie for cinema, I thought it would be a good tv production.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
This certainly was not what I was expecting while I anticipated the release of 'Dorian Gray".
It is a very graphic, detailed version of the film, nothing left to the imagination!
Of course Colin Firth was perfect, Ben Barnes was scarily apt.
Although it was not what I expected; it did keep my attention from beginning to end. I will look at it again...just not necessarily in the very late hours of the night though.

1.0 out of 5 stars One star given, although it doesn't even deserve that, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Dorian Gray [DVD] (DVD)
This film is not like the book at all. I had to switch it off. The "15" certification is too low - it should be an "18". I'm an Oscar Wilde fan, and to be honest this film shows him as seedy. Oscar Wilde fans do not watch this film, as it's absolute rubbish.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 14 | Next ›

Dorian Gray [DVD]
Dorian Gray [DVD] by Oliver Parker (DVD - 2010)