5.0 out of 5 stars His best yet?
Published on 9 Nov 2009 by S. Higgens

2.0 out of 5 stars "Its Jazz Jim, but not as we know it"
I bought this album after hearing 'Gran Torino'...and if I am brutally honest...its still the only track I like....I do like Jazz and swing but I am not keen on Jamie's random interpretations...the melodie's are hard to follow and Jamie hits some questionable notes which means its virtually impossible to sing or hum the tunes...you might love...I wasnt keen.
Published 23 months ago by Biker in a suit

5.0 out of 5 stars His best yet?, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
I have just listened to this album three times in a row and it is absolutely delightful. Jamie this time offers a more mature, well-grounded and wholly original piece of work which cannot fail to grab your attention and make you listen. There's fast and slow, funk and jazz, soul and R&B - in fact there's something for everyone, regardless of what music you are in to. This piece of work had me hooked by the first listen but it gets better every time you listen to it. If you want to dip your toes into Jamie's music, this is the one to buy first. Thereafter, you will be hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars He is not the new Dudley Moore, 23 Dec 2009
iGlad "iGlad" (Manchester, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
I must admit that I never listen to Jamie Cullum as I thought he was all hype and they were trying to pass him off as another Harry Connick Jnr (great musicican but where did the music career go?). However it was listening to the duet he did on Beady Belle's Belvedere album, which completely blew me away if he's good enough to sing/play with one of my favs Beady Belle then he's good enough for me!! Since then there's been no looking back as he's a great musician who play and sing just like Dudley Moore but trust me he's nothing like Dudley Moore or Harry Connick he's just Jamie Cullum, it's that simple. He kicks things off with a reworking of 'one of those things' and 'I'm all over it' has a very 70's feel to it and I love it. You and Me are Gone will have you shaking your booty around the kitchen ok for those who are musically challenged you'll tap your feet instead! We Run Things has a a great feel to it and I can see a reggae remix of this appearing quite soon. The album has an almost live feel to it and the production is superb. An excellent album

The main reason I'am buying the special edition is for the track Gran Torino, which isn't on the ordinary album.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Whole Package, 16 Nov 2009
scoon2 "scoon2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
This is Jamie Cullum's most well-rounded album to date.
There are no filler tracks like on previous albums and the jump between the pop tracks and the jazzier songs seems more convincing.Jamie Cullum has also now refined his own distinctive style of singing and has never sounded better.
The real deal and well worth exploring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie Cullum - The Pursuit, 20 Mar 2011
N. Wilson "nigel-wilson" (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
Frankly, any album which has an exploding piano featured as part of it's artwork should not really need reviewing. Add in the most famous and popular British jazz musician of the last decade and really, when you think about, we already know this is going to be fantastic.

Jamie Cullum, everyone's favourite piano stomping, gravelly voiced, jazz making hobbit has finally returned with his new album "The Pursuit", his first album since his cracking 2005 release of "Catching Tales".

There is nothing in his back catalogue which has been disappointing; `These Are The Days', `Pointless Nostalgic', `Oh God', `My Yard' and `Twentysomething' were all amazing songs; so with high hopes I clasp on to his new album which was released this week.

Here is a track by track walk-through of his new record.

01. Just One Of Those Things.
Amazing Cole Porter song, beautifully arranged and performed by Cullum. Classic sounding, smooth and catchy, the song returns Cullum's sound to that of those tracks seen on "Twentysomething". Reminicant of `Too Close For Comfort'. Excellent opening track.

02. I'm All Over It.
Jamie's lead single from the album, simple and lovely, it's not his strongest track ever, but it's a catchy little ditty with a great piano riff and jazz undertones, yet remaining quite commercial. Wouldn't be out of place on a James Morrison or Will Young album.

03. Wheels.
Awesome track. Original and wonderful, Jamie's vocals are deep and soothing. The chorus is lovely and the piano riff is ambient and refreshing. The amazing percussion on this track sounds like a train... stunning.

04. If I Ruled The Word.
Lovely arrangement of this beautiful blues/ballad. Soft and moving. The track shows off Jamie's ability to make classic jazz sound current, and to make gentle blues refreshing to hear. Very piano bar. Very lovely.

05. You And Me Are Gone.
Mad and amazing. Uptempo and finger-clickingly good. Like `Twentysomething'. In the album credits, it states, "Handclaps and general revelry: The Band". That alone should give you a very good idea of what to expect from this song!! Jazz-pop at it's best. Really great track. As catchy as swine-flu!! This will be one of the tracks which will see Jamie climbing over his piano on stage. Cannot wait to see this live!! By far my favourite track on the album!

06. Don't Stop The Music.
Yes. This is Rihanna's "Please Don't Stop The Music"- jazzified. It's actually much better than you would expect; slower, piano, bass, drums and Jamie. Simple and fantastic. Really impressive cover. In many ways it's so much better than the original, just because it's vocally played with in a much better way than Rihanna does it!

07. Love Ain't Gonna Let You Down.
Another blues-ballad. It's an alright track. But nothing really stands out about it. Not that it's bad at all... it's just clearly an album filler.

08. Mixtape.
For almost no reason at all, this reminds me of `Photograph' - but it sounds nothing like it at all. The song is uptempo and enjoyable, flows very smoothly between verses and chorus. Good song, very enjoyable, a jazz anthem.

09. I Think, I Love.
From the original overpowering piano solo at the start; I loved this track. It's not over-the-top at all, it's not a Leona Ballad, but it's a gentle and modern love song and it's really lovely, and beautifully performed.

10. We Run Things.
Very experimental jazz. Will grow on me a lot I imagine. Very enjoyable, uptempo number, again another one which is going to be ace performed live.

11. Not While I'm Around.
Great song. Love it. Vocally great, beautifully crafted and arranged. Jamie's vocals really are moving on this track. A slower tempoed track, written by Stephen Soudheim. It's quite Snow Patrol-esque in places (if Snow Patrol knew how to develop and execute a track beautifully). I really love this track.

12. Music Is Through.
Just wow. This is the most experimental track on the album, it's jazz, but it's not jazz at the same time. Amazingly written by Jamie and Ben Cullum; the chorus is shockingly good - when it kicks in I almost stopped breathing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown up, 12 Dec 2009
Gary Nichols (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
This is an excellent album Jamie has at last grown up and produced his best production so far

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...blown away, 6 Jan 2010
Christophe J. Horlock "pedal power" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
Jamies previous albums have been good, but this is just fantastic, the last track in particular is just awesome...well i think so

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.....Can't wait for my copy!!!, 23 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
I have been lucky enough to listen to 6 tracks from this new album and all I can say it WOW. This is a more mature Jamie, with a mix of different sounds that I think most will be surprised at. However Jamie has still managed to keep a part of the old Jamie in there too.

From "Just One Of Those Things" a real Jazz standard to "Wheels", "Mixtape" this album will take you on a real journey.

Whether you like the old Jazz standards or more of the pop music, this album has something for everyone and is a must have.

I've already pre ordered my copy, have you??

2.0 out of 5 stars "Its Jazz Jim, but not as we know it", 8 Oct 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd heard this AGES ago!, 25 Jun 2010
Jacqueline Paschoud "Jacq." (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
Two weeks ago I hadn't heard any music by Jamie Cullum but having found myself hooked on "Please don't Stop the music" on YouTube I bought the album. Now without video of exploding pianos (for that track) or multi-generational unicyclists (for "Wheels")would I enjoy the music? Oh Yes.
What a talent for sharing music this man has! Who else could make "If I ruled the World" sound contemporary and for that matter who would think of using the words "Modus operandi" in a song??
Summer listening with all the excitement of being young and in love in a world full of possibilities, opportunities and passions. Happiness cheap at half the price. Buy It!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Pursuit: Cullums variety of talent, 4 Jun 2010
Wesley Gilead (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pursuit (Audio CD)
Jamie has always been a talented musician, his albums show that he can play a variety of different styles.
I already own Twenty Something and Catching Tales, but The Pursuit has a bang about it, I cannot stop listening too it. Mix Tape has a swing about it, makes you want to get up and dance, there are also some slow ones, it makes you want to come home after a hard day and relax with this album and have a glass of red wine.

I will always admire him for his variety of lyrics, he dosent say the same thing over and over again like some artists do. "Tell me when the music is through" is a great song, the melody starts slow and builds up faster.

I dont know what else to say about this album, go and purchase a copy and listen for yourself and be blown away by incredible rythmns and beats, wonderful lyrics and Jamies piano talent!!

The Pursuit is like a story, but with beginning at the end and the end at the beginning!

The Pursuit