4.0 out of 5 stars Creed: Full Circle
As a big Creed fan I was both excited and apprehensive about the release of Full Circle. It was great news that they were back together and making music, but the speed with which the album was made left me wondering if it was going to be a cash in.

Published on 4 Nov 2009 by Luke H

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Weathered
In my opinion Creed have tried to change their sound to satisfy Alter Bridge's army of fans. A bit to grungy for my likeing and without doubt the heaviest album they've ever done. That's not a bad thing but it's not the Creed of old with songs like Higher or One Step Closer. But to be fair songs like Rain and Time are definitely up there as the best songs they've ever...
Published on 5 Nov 2009 by Hughesie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Creed: Full Circle, 4 Nov 2009
Luke H (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)

However, while not exactly a perfect album it is far better than I could have hoped for. Very few songs miss their mark. Scott Stapp still writes the same introspective lyrics, and delivers them with his customary Eddie Vedderesque growl. And Mark Tremonti still exhibits a great mix of melodic and muscular guitar work, backed up more than satisfactorily by the bass work of Brian Marhsall and the drumming of Scott Philips.

The album starts with 'Overcome', a rousing stadium rock number and their first single. It's a decent slice of heavy rock and roll and sets up the tone well for the album. It continues onto Bread of Shame, which is in my opinion the worst song on the album, and possible candidate for worst Creed song ever. It just seems like an assault of sound that never really progresses anywhere, with possibly one of the most obnoxious choruses I have ever heard.

From this low point however, the album picks up and never really lets go. 'A Thousand Faces' 'Fear' 'On My sleeve' 'Full Circle' 'Good Fight' and 'The Song you sing' are all hard hitting yet tuneful songs with great hooks that never let up. 'Rain' and 'Away in Silence' are both hugely uplifting slices of hit ready radio rock, which you won't be able to not foot tap or nod your head to.

The albums best song though is the superb Time. Stapp alternates brillantly between soft emotional croon, and anguished growl. It is very emotionally stirring, backed up fantasticly by a mix of mid tempo electric and acoustic guitar work from Tremonti. Despite being classed as Post Grunge in the past, Creed have always exhibited there greatest strength in writing relatable rock ballads. Songs you just want to pump your fist in the air to and sing along with. 'Time' is a song in that mould, like 'Higher' and feels like perfect justification for Creed's reunion.

The only other song is 'Suddenly', which while not bad seems painfully generic with no real hook, and just falls slightly flat.

A reason why Creed have always been so successful, especially in Bible Belt America, is that they have never baulked or backed down from a winning formula. They did, do, and will continue to write personal and emotional songs full of religious imagery that get people pumping their fists into the air, and beating their chests. There is nothing at all wrong with this. They do it better than any other Post-Grunge/Hard Rock band I think I have ever listened to. If you are a fan of Creed, you will love this album. While not perfect, due almost entirely to the awful 'Bread of Shame' it is a great listen and will alleviate any fears that they are only doing this reunion as a quick cash in.

Hits: Overcome, A Thousand Faces, Rain, Away in Silence, Fear, On My Sleeve, Full Circle, Good Fight, The Song You Sing

Misses: Bread of Shame, Suddenly

Standout: Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Creed return with a stunning 4th album, 27 Oct 2009
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Dig) (Audio CD)
Back in 2004 when Creed broke up, rock had lost one it's most shining glories. Stapp went solo, Tremonti, Phillips & Marshall formed Alter Bridge with Myles Kennedy. With success varied, a creed reunion was always likely, fast forward to Autumn 2009 and "Full Circle," Creed's fourth album showcases some of the band's heaviest material, twindled with some crisp ballads.
Stapp is on top vocal form, Tremonti's riff's and pounding solo's set the tone, opening rocker "Overcome" with its uptempo melody and infectious chorus ticks every hard rock cliche going, welcome back Creed indeed.
Creed maintains their hard rock approach on tracks "Bread Of Shame," "Suddenly," and "Fear," the latter being the best track, it sounds very similar to the music that Alter Bridge have made.
It's when "Full Circle" begins to mellow that Creed's music becomes more mainstream, radio friendly rocker and second single "Rain" has radio hit written all over it, as does moody ballad "Away In Silence."
Elsewhere, Creed sing about their own musical journey on the title track, beautifully followed by the albums most somber moment, "Time." "This time I have nothing left to lose, I'm stuck the second hand won't move, it's about time that I speak my mind." Maybe a reference to Stapp's own wishes for Creed to get back together way before they actually did.
Overall, "Full Circle" is an immense album. Creed have already confirmed a full world tour in 2010 in support of "Full Circle," I for one will be first in the queue for any UK dates they announce.
Best Tracks: "Overcome" "Rain" "Away In Silence" "Time"

4.0 out of 5 stars Half-full Circle, 4 Nov 2009
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
While I do not disagree with most other reviewers, Full Circle is not awesome but is not at all rubbish.

Firstly, if you don't like Creed this is not going to change your mind. It is generic and wholly unthoughtful (like most Creed albums) and it does not deviate from the normal stadium pleasing, rousing grungesmithery of earlier albums. If you want experimental or edgy - Creed aint your band (the closest they've come is the first few tracks of Weathered - experimental for them). If you like Staind, Shinedown, possibly Alice in Chains, Daughtry et al and you haven't already stumbled upon Creed then... enjoy.

Secondly, the above may sound like I have no time for this type of music. I am aware of its failings musicly, but that doesn't mean that I do not appreciate it. Experimental has its place but there's nothing better than a huge blast of emotional post-grunge to raise the spirits and sooth the soul!

Lastly - Full Circle is a very passable album indeed. It is on a par with their last 2 albums, however there are no instant classics, like My Sacrifice or Higher. The opener, Overcome, is almost a contender and it even takes a few listens to really get it, but it'll stay with you for a while once the chorus wraps itself around your ears. Possibly the most brutal and energetic track on the album and a fiercely excellent opener.10/10

I agree with one of the reviewers here concerning Bread of Shame - it's not that it's bad exactly, it's just that there was no reason for it to be on the album. No - it's bad. 3/10

A Thousand Faces is middleing Creed fare but you can feel them picking up the pace a bit after the dire Bread...6.5/10

Suddenly, I have to disagree with one reviewer here, is one of the best tracks on the album. It has a killer chorus and chugs along a bit like Signs from Weathered. It's no award winner, but you have to take it in context - we're not compairing it to Sympathy for the Devil or Reign in Blood! 10/10

Rain, again may not float everyon'e boat (no pun intended) but is an almost classic in waiting. 10/10

Away in Silence is a much better A Thousand Faces. 8.5/10

Fear, is the passable one - good but no cigar. 6/10

On My Sleeve and Full Circle are relatively similar insomuch as they are a step above the ok Creed tracks but just missed the 'very good' by a hair. Better than passable and always worth a relisten. 7/10 each

Yes, Time is a cracker. 9/10

Good Fight I like. It sounds like it should be a filler track and plays that way too, but I dunno, there's something about it. 8/10

The Song You Sing is the perfect ending, albeit a very low key and unexplosive one. I would have preferred an ending like Wayward Ones from Alter Bridge. But it's still a goody. 7.5/10

All in all, a very decent effort. Despite their shortcomings I'll always be partial to a few downtuned powerchords and a nasally roar. Really looking forward to Alter Bridge's new album next year and hoping that Creed will still knock a new one out every couple of years or so.

Average score for whole album (obviously only my opinion): 7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait!!! ... :), 9 Nov 2009
Mr. G. Hodgson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
It's been 5 Years but finally America's finest Heavy-Rockers are back! and doing what they do best....producing yet another top class Album!

From their last Brilliant Album - Weathered (Which in my opinion is one of the best Rock albums of all time!) expectations were high, and for me they have delivered again! although not quite as good as Weathered as in it does not have a 'My Sacrifice' for example, but songs 'Overcome' and 'Time' are very close to being as good for very different reasons.

'Overcome' is a really good opener! a fist clenching track with exellent guitar riffs complete with a very catchy chorus. You can hear straight away that Stapp has not lost any of his Vocal range!, and this is what I would call a great 'Workout song' to get you fired up for the Gym!. One of the best tracks on the Album for me. 9/10.

I agree with other reviewers who say that 2nd track 'Bread of Shame' is a shocker!, I like my heavy Rock songs but this is just a load of noise and doesnt go anywhere. Probably the worst Creed song I have heard to date!. 2/10.

After that horror show, the Album comes back with a very good song in the form of 'A Thousand Faces', (which has a chorus you just cannot get out of your head!), one of my fave tracks on the album!. 8/10.

The Album then goes back up a gear with 'Suddenly', not a bad track, and again good to have on if your pumping iron in the Gym!, it also has a pretty catchy chorus, plus it may take a few listens to grow on you but its worth it! a pretty good effort. 7/10

5th track 'Rain' is very different to the previous 4 tracks on the Album. A much more Radio freindly song, more acoustic and more 'mainstream'. It's ok, but has nothing special about it in my view. 6/10.

A much better track is 'Away In Silence' which reminds me of a few of the latter songs from previous Album Weathered. A nice song, with good acoustics, the rock and vocals builds up as the song goes on too. Again as always with Creed, a very catchy chorus which will have you singing to it in no time!. 8/10.

'Fear' sees the Album go straight back into the Heavy-Rock side of Creed. Although it aint no 'Signs' or 'Are You Ready' off previous Albums, it's a decent Album filler but not great. 6/10.

'On My Sleeve' is a good Rock effort. Stapp's vocals are top class and the orchestral music really adds to the song. I never really cared for this one at first but this song grows on you the more you hear it! 8/10.

9th Track 'Full Circle' takes a while to get going but once it does, the Rock element gets heavier as the song progresses. Pretty Good all in all. 7/10.

I have to agree with other reviewers who are purring over the 10th track on the Album 'Time'. The lyrics are an obvious attempt at Stapp's frustration of the Bands split, also the length of time it took them to reform. A top quality track which is instantly likeable!. Creed are brilliant when the lyrics really seem to mean something, put that together with Stapp's great vocals, top class drumming and guitaring... then what you got is a sure fire hit!. Best track on the Album. 10/10. *

11th Track 'Good Fight' sees another return to the more Heavy Rock side of Creed. I am not really impressed by this one to be honest. It just seems to keep repeating itself time and again. 2nd worst track on the Album for me. 5/10.

The Album finishes with a nice song called 'The Song You Sing' which sees the Album finish with a more mainstream feel. This has the right blend of Rock with good melodic riffs. All in all a good track to finish a very good Album. 7/10.

This in my opinion is Creeds 2nd best Album to date! a very good effort indeed. Although it has been nearly 8 years since the brilliance of Weathered, and with 'Bread Of Shame' apart - Full Circle is an Album that shows Creed are not suffering any rustiness from their lengthy time apart or have become complacent!. A lot of thought has gone into this Album and it was well worth the wait!. My Final Marks for Full Circle are a fist clenching 8.5/10. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Creed return with a stunning 4th album, 26 Oct 2009
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
Best Tracks: "Overcome" "Rain" "Away In Silence" "Time"

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album but miss Alter Bridge!, 9 Jan 2010
D. Watkins "Dave Watkins" (Frome, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (MP3 Download)
I was a fan of Creed when they were around the first time and had most of their albums. The Greatest Hits was also one of the better collections around, although they were often written off by the critics. However, millions of albums sold confirms that they were much loved by the fans [ the people who really matter of course ].

I was disappointed they spilt but excited when I heard that Alter Bridge were formining, with Myles Kennedy on vocals. I did also buy the first Scott Stapp solo CD but wasn't that impressed. Upon hearing AB, it was obvious why - I preferred the music with Myles singing! His vocals seem to have more emotion and range than Scott, who is quite deep voiced and can sound a bit dour sometimes, albeit powerful also.

I bought both AB albums and love them both. I saw them live as well [ although, to be honest, at the risk of sounding old, the volume was so loud, it distorted the music at times ]. A great band though and so when news of Creed reforming came through, I was interested to see what would happen next.

So, can Creed regain former glories? Possibly. Certainly I'm sure they can in the USA, not so sure they will in the UK. Although a few gigs will sell well and I'm sure a festival or two will go down well but I'm convinced the UK will prefer Alter Bridge more.

Full Circle starts really strongly with Overcome and it is definitely one of the best tracks on here. Then, like others have said, the next track, Bread of Shame, is really weak compared and should have been left off this album. I wont go through track by track but there are several highlights - the title track is superb for example and I actually love Good Fight also - the guitar sound during the chorus is highly original to my ears. The two or three 'ballads' on here are also strong, with nice choruses. Mark Tremonti is one of the best guitar players in the world and he shows throughout how good he is.

I would say a fair score would be a 7/10 overall and I will come back to several of the tracks on here. I also think the album gets better the more you hear it. I can't help think however, that several of the riffs used here would sound better with Myles Kennedy fronting them in Alter Bridge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creed are back, older, wiser, better and stronger., 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
I'm big big fan of Creed, but will try to keep this review as unbiased as possible. For those people who liked Creeds previous albums but are unsure of their new material following their reunion, be rest assured, this album is far better (in my opinion) than their previous albums. It's clear to hear that they have matured a lot over the past 5 or 6 years or so. Lyrically, every song is brilliant, imaginative but relevant. Musically, they are all brilliant too, with some catchy guitar riffs and excellent guitar solos as only Mark Tremonti can do. Whilst they have "evolved" ever so slightly with more of a darker Alter Bridge sound to them, Creed's signature sounds and Stapp's vocals remain as strong as ever, if not stronger. Sometimes it takes a few listens for songs to grow, but on this album, every song grabs you and sucks you in instantly. that said, I feel track 2 (Bread of Shame) doesn't quite grab me that way, but it is still a good song, a grower.
Stand out tracks for me are Rain, Suddenly, Full Circle, Time, Fear, The Song you Sing and Away in Silence, pretty much the whole album. Rain in particular stands out to me, yes it's "radio friendly" but it's as catchy as hell and I defy anyone not to turn the volume up and sing along to it! The same goes for all the other songs on the album. I think this album will follow me about the house and in the car for a long time to come.
If you're new to Creed and you like this album, go and buy their back catalogue, you won't be disappointed. If you're new to Creed and still unsure, look them up on myspace or you tube and sample some of their songs. It's hard to compare them to any other bands because they're unique, but if you like the likes of 3 doors down, shine down, alter bridge, logan maybe even nickelback, take a gamble, it's well worth it. Also, look up Alter Bridge, fans of Alter Bridge and Creed know already, but the two bands share the same band members with the exception of the vocalists. AB sound a little different to Creed, but are absolutely awesome. If you like Creed, you'll love alter bridge.
Well done to Scott S, Mark, Brian and Scott P, a sublime album! can't wait for the UK tour and hopefully many more albums of this calibre.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full Circle - Worth the Wait!!, 10 Nov 2009
D. Buxton "Darren" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
I have been waiting for this since I heard they had split in 2004 as I am a huge fan!!

There are some great tracks that fans of old and new will like such as Overcome, Rain, On my Sleeve, Away in Silence, A Thousand Faces and Full Circle.

A special mention has to be made to the song "Time" which is the best song on the album and has to be one of the best songs that Creed have ever produced.

It's not a perfect album - there are a couple of tracks feel like "B Siders" and Bread of Shame - well the least said about that the better really but there are a lot more hits than misses on the album.

The sound is also different to Weathered and Human Clay but definetly still feels like Creed though - worth a go if your a fan and unsure.

You could always look a few songs up on You Tube and see what you think before buying!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest comeback of all time?, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Full Circle (Audio CD)
The last Alter Bridge album left me a bit cold so this Creed reunion album was a bit of a shock. The album lyrically is superb and sung with incredible passion by Scott Stapp. You really feel he's living this. 'Overcome' and 'Bread Of Shame' really seem to take you through this mans inner torment before 'A Thousand Faces 'starts the lift out of his depression. By the time you get to track nine which is ' Full Circle ', you've had all that Creed do best, stunning melodies, beautiful soaring choruses and some fantastic guitar work. Does it go down hill then, no way.The next three tracks 'Time', 'Fight The Good Fight' and 'The Song You Sing' are stunning and so uplifting that it's hard not to be smiling by the end. There's not many albums that can do that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Listen and listen again, 17 Nov 2009
Richard Rogers "spitfire" (Flintshire, N Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Full Circle (Dig) (Audio CD)
Creed's new album 'Full Circle' is a long awaited release with just one, make that two, problems... They are 'One Day Remains' and 'Blackbird'. Especially 'Blackbird'. Its taken a few plays of the album to appreciate how good it is, and it is a good album. 'Overcome', 'Fear', 'Time' and 'Away In Silence' for me the 4 stand out tracks. Creed fans will be happy, originally I was going to give this 3 stars and if I'm honest 3.5 stars is nearer the mark. Personally I'm waiting for AB3, which has the same 2 problems!!
I've now listened to this album over and over and its worthy of 4 stars easily, but 'Bread Of Shame'? Awful track, the worst song Creed has recorded by far!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›