5.0 out of 5 stars Great output, near silent
Having bought (and returned) the cheaper Sony BDP S360 which had a very noisy motor & pickup, I was a little anxious in upgrading to the S760 model (at 3 times the price of the S360). Needn't have worried though, because this bluray model oozes build quality and class, and is near-silent in operation after disc load.

Setup was remarkably quick and took less...
Published on 18 Jan 2010 by Small Scale

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow...but well equipped
First foray with Blu-Ray - after the reviews I picked this one as it seemed to load faster than others - however this doesnt seem to be the case - a few times it just sat there apparently doing nothing for about 5 minutes - after going back through the menu's to get it to try to play the disc it does load, but its a lot slower than normal DVD (and thats with quick start...
Published on 23 Nov 2009 by Trying to be green

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great output, near silent, 18 Jan 2010
Small Scale "small_scale" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sony BDPS760B Blu-ray Player with Multi-Channel Headphone Surround Sound System (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

Setup was remarkably quick and took less than 5 mins (although in fairness, I have yet to enable the wireless function). You just need to ensure that if you're outputting the audio through your TV's speakers that you select the appropriate mode. Similarly, disc load times are typically much less than a minute. Bluray picture quality is just stunning on a 40" Bravia as you would expect, although if I'm honest, I had expected a slightly more consistent upscaling quality on standard-def DVDs. That's being a bit picky perhaps.

Having tried bluray discs with the SBM (super bit mapping) function switched on and then off, I can say there is no discernable difference in on-screen quality, although that is probably because the TV is already able to accept 12-bit input. SBM is there to (allegedly) correct the output bit-depth appropriate to the TV's panel, although this is perhaps one for the videophiles !

The remote control also has a disc-eject button (unlike the S360 and S560 models), and it's backlit if you want the true cinema experience in the dark ! The small things do make a difference.

Still, I don't normally give a 5-star, but this bluray model does warrant it for its operation and features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away!, 24 Jan 2010
My first Blu Ray Player and wow, the picture is nothing short of amazing with correspondingly good sound to boot.

Up scaled DVD's are excellent, we are watching everything over again with much improved video and sound. I don't use an HDMI AV amp so use the digital out. The movie sound tracks have a lot more weight and dynamic compare to my DVD player.

When playing CD's, compared to my very good 10 year old CD player, it is not great. So having one box to do all (well!) at this price range is still not a reality. However, I've only tried the digital out and whether the CD performance is better on the analogue is the subject of another test.

The convenient wireless connection makes a tidyier install but is not all it's cracked up to be when it comes to DNLA. As it's a Sony they don't want you streaming movies (or music) from your PC so it's limited to viewing your pictures. Fortunately my Philips TV is also wireless and streams everything fine.

If you are considering this player you won't be disappointed by it's performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury blu-ray player, 6 Jan 2010
I'm very pleased with my new player - a replacement for my Sony BDP-S350.

The good:
The physical construction is excellent. It feels solid and well built.
The player looks really special in dark gloss grey. It looks good sitting in my living room.
It's pretty quiet. There is very little disk spinning noise. It has a fan but that has only has come on a few times in summer/autumn and it was very quiet.
The picture quality is excellent. It does a really good job of up-scaling DVDs - about as good as I have seen.

The bad:
The headphone socket on mine seems to give a dull lifeless sound. I prefer the headphone socket on my Denon amplifier.
Too many options to tweak. I just leave everything on 'default'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite amazing, 16 April 2010
Keri Hunt "kerih" (UK) - See all my reviews
I upgraded from the BDPS350 sony player and I was totally surprised by the improvement in picture quality and sound. I bought the BDPS350 as a package with a sony bravia KDL 40W4000 40 inch set at a good price. It was my first experience of the hd - bluray world. Obviously I was impressed at first but as I increased my bluray library I noticed I often had to adjust screen setting for a number of movies such as The Dark Knight, No Country For Old Me, Dark City and a number of other that had challenging light levels.

At first I suspected it was a problem with the Bravia screen, even though it was a good quality one. Then when I read the reviews of the BDPS760B I was more than convinced it was my bluray player that needed the upgrade. And what an upgrade it has been. No need to mess around with any settings, it has the WOW factor straight out of the box. Everyone in the family instantly noticed the amazingly visuals, perfect colour contrast and pristine detail. It has taken the whole HD viewing experience to another level.

As for sound I play mine through a good quality two speaker hi-fi with high quality Monitor Audio speakers. The sound improvement is subtle but brilliant. I no longer have to adjust the volume between loud and quite sequences as the sound is so clear and detailed even in those quite bits where it is sometimes difficult to hear the dialogue..

Having the built in wi-fi is nice bonus as well, as bluray live can be an interesting extra, if you want to find out more on the the film of the director or actors as you watch. An option best used when you are watching it on your own though!

If you have a good system give it and yourself a treat with this suburb player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highest quality audio and video for the money., 28 Jan 2010
J. Fulcher (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought 23/12/09

I purchased the Sony BDPS760B Blu-ray player based on reviews, experience of their budget players and the general quality level of their electronics. Boy, was I not disappointed!

Audio resolution is a step up from even a very good Panasonic machine I had before this and video seems natural and noise free. The X-bar guide is very easy to navigate, particularly if one already owns modern Sony TVs, etc. and set-up is a doddle even if there is the inevitable "tweaking" later. Really like the wireless connectivity - very useful if like me your equipment is nowhere near your router.

I would have given 5 stars but for lack of a fast search mode with sound and limited time/chapter display modes but the sheer quality of what matters makes this a foolproof buy. Great price through Amazon, as usual, by the way

4.0 out of 5 stars Features require external USB storage, 6 May 2010
DBA (London, England) - See all my reviews
I've owned this player for a few months now and it is a very impressive piece of kit. The picture quality produced is breath taking and the audio equally as impressive. The down sides seem to be related to the Blu-ray technology, accessing BD-Live and even watching a Blu-ray disc is mind numbingly slow, but I think this is the same with a lot of players.

*** Important ****
One irritating thing I noticed was that the player won't resume from it's previous starting point unless you have sufficient external storage attached. It also won't let you access the BD-Live features unless you have this external storage available. You will receive different errors depending on which disc you play, some will say you need a player that supports Profile 2.0 (which this player does) and some will say that BD-Live isn't available at this time, completely sending you down the wrong path. It's easily solved by plugging a USB memory stick in the back... but it loses a star as in my opinion this should be already included within the player.

When you finally access BD-Live you will wonder why you ever bothered wasting 20 minutes of your life. It's about as fast as Ceefax life is just too short to bother, which is a shame as the Wireless N access is a brilliant addition to this player.
Buy it and buy a USB memory stick for it, you won't be sorry.
Oh.. one more thing, you can get this player with multi-region DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Player, 27 May 2010
R. Fry (UK) - See all my reviews
Purchased to replace a Sony BDP S550 based upon various reviews, and i have to say it has'nt disapointed. There is quite an improvement on the performance of the 550 (itself an impressive machine), the picture in particular is noticeably improved, with better edge definition and deeper colours, but there is also a subtle improvment in the sound quality, with an improved bass performance over the rather lightweight sounding 550 and clearer more accurately placed speech and effects from the centre and surround speakers. This player also features 7.1 channel analogue outputs so owners of older AV receivers wont need to junk their otherwise perfectly useable kit.
The remote is nicer than the average and is also backlit with a lovely gentle orange glow!
This player drops a star for a few reasons, it does not come supplied with any external memory unlike the 550, which came with a 1gb card. Build quality, which although better than most, could still be improved upon and there is no choice of finishes (not everyones kit is black!) But probably the biggest reason is the fact that this is now an older model and the current crop of players, not least those from Sony, have raised the bar still higher.
However if you can get this for a decent price it is still a competent, competetive machine and you are unlikely to be disapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 25 April 2010
I had the BDP 560 previously but this is so much better in terms of picture quality, especially the upscaling of standard DVD. It is feeding a 42" plasma and a HD projector with a 2.5m screen so I needed something good.
The only downside is it is a little slow at loading (but faster than the 560).

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Nov 2010
Based on the advice of a home cinema installation technician, who just happens to be a friend as well, I replaced my Panasonic BDP-55 with the Sony BDPS-760. What a revelation. Sound is so much more cinematic and enveloping. Picture is cleaner but much more detailed, and has a real three dimentional quality to it. Colours are more vibrant. DVD's look superb as well, especially compared to the Panasonic which I had been fairly happy with. For reference, I have a Panasonic 42" plasma, a Yamaha 3800 amp, Dali speakers and MJ Acoustics sub. The Sony makes this set up sing in a way the Panasonic never could. Plus, the Sony truly can remove banding between light and dark in a Blu Ray image (professional reviews on this machine will explain that better) some of the time and reduce it to the point that you won't notice it other times. Truly a superb machine, it has elevated my enjoyment watching films at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, 30 April 2010
K. Packard "koktrash" (UK) - See all my reviews
Amazon's delivery, first rate and quick.
This Blu-Ray player was an upgrade from my previous Sony BDP-S350, and the extra money was well worth it. The picture quality IS better on this machine, sound quality is super too.
I was in two minds whether to buy this one or the Cambridge Audio 650BD. Granted the 650BD is a universal player (also £400) but the reason I plumped for this was SONY quality. The wireless operation of the Sony won out, as the 650BD doesn't have WiFi, and it worked flawlessly too, no complicated settings to deal with. Overall, much better than I thought.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›