5.0 out of 5 stars great watch
I bought this seiko having many years ago owned a previous kinetic watch an dyeing fed up with the battery replacement saga of other watches. A couple of slight niggles, I do not have a very large wrist but if i did suspect the strap would not be long enough. But having said that it is a comfortable wear.

nd even more minor niggle one needs to complete serial...
Published 14 months ago by david holmes

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this watch in August 2014, I have ...
Published 2 months ago by malcolm clark

5.0 out of 5 stars great watch, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Seiko 5 Men's Automatic Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black Fabric Strap SNK809K2 (Watch)

nd even more minor niggle one needs to complete serial numb info form the watch for the guarantee it would seem to be almost illegible

Very happy with the watch however light and comfortable

5.0 out of 5 stars You will not regret, 25 Dec. 2013
Best value watch I ever purchased

I purchased for the dial and Seiko 5 reputation; I have since replaced the strap with metal and can confirm is a bargain.

I always get asked were and how much with majority thinking this is an exclusive Seiko dial worth above £300

YOU WILL NOT BE DIS-POINTED

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely timepiece, 15 Mar. 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
As a watch collector, I tend to buy automatic watches due to various reasons explained further down. This Seiko 5 is a great watch for the price. Movement is smooth and precise, with the second hand sweeping graciously around the easy to read watch face.

The black nylon strap matches nicely with the watch fascia. The 37mm brushed steel watch bezel gives it a touch of class. My only gripe is that nylon strap does tend to fray over time and I prefer the more comfortable canvas material offered on other Seiko watches.

Automatic watches tend to keep their price relatively well due to the mechanical movement, which involves precision engineering of miniature gears. The glass back reveals these gears in motion. Another big advantage is that you never have to change a battery. Going through my collection changing batteries is quite a laborious chore. And once the watch is opened, it will never regain the water resistance or proofing as when it left the factory, unless, of course you are ready to pay a hefty amount to get it done by the manufacturer. Another point worth mentioning is that during the course of opening or closing the back cover for a battery change, there is always a risk of scratching the watch.

At this price point, I rate the Seiko 5 stars.

I recommend this watch for those seeking a reliable performer, and do not mind losing or gaining a minute every 2 to 3 weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, 29 Jan. 2014
Very pleased with this watch. Good clear face and no problem setting. Cloth strap fine, it even fits my skinny wrist. Prompt delivery, as usual.

4.0 out of 5 stars All that is necessary plus some!, 29 April 2014
I like the brand of Seiko. This is the brand that my mum and dad used to wear when I was a kid and I personally feel nostalgic, grown-up and warm inside all at the same time by having it on me.

Pros: About the watch itself: it has drawn complements, but when I actively seek others' opinions about it. It looks cool, and modern but classy at the same time. The night phosphoric glow is a definite plus. The rapid tick-tock sound of it when you press your ears to it is heart-worming. The day of the week comes in two languages: English and French. The colour black goes with any combination and situation. The numbers are very easy to read. The strap has a wide range of easy adjustment, which was good for my thin wrist. I love the Seiko logo in the front face.

Cons: It is not an older people's watch (looks a bit hip, specially with its non-leather strap), but that was exactly the kind I was looking for. The strap doesn't feel like it will hold its pristine condition for too long. It will probably show signs of wear and tear over time (I have had it for about a month now, still looks good, but I am making a guess). One cool feature of the watch is its glassy see-through back lid, which is hidden away, unless you actively show it off.

Overall: Looks neat, but could benefit from a more sturdy looking strap. It is worth the price, compared to alternatives, as an entry-level durable luxury(?) watch, fits the budget of a student with a feel for a bit of style. I do recommend it to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a recommended purchase if you are looking for a smart automatic watch for a reasonable price., 13 July 2014
Chris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A very smart good quality watch.
The watch isn't huge unlike other men's watches that look ridiculous if you have skinny wrists like me so this suits.
It has a very quiet tick so if that annoys you this won't as you can barely hear it.
The glass back is a nice touch that allows you to see the inner workings and the overall design is very nice.
The strap is comfortable, non scratchy and doesn't irritate even on a hot day when you are likely to sweat more and the buckle allows you to quickly adjust the size if like me you swell in the heat.
I've found that the time gain is around 1 to 2 minutes a month but this is not a problem as the calendar is not chronological so at the end of the month the date needs to be amended depending on how many are in the month as it will just count to 31, the extra minutes can be pulled back when making this adjustment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps ON ticking, 17 April 2012
Andy (North West, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this to replace a disappointing watch that i bought, thinking if you pay a bit more then you get a better watch, my dad bought one of its predecessors in the 60's and apart from a new strap it keeps on ticking. This watch is spot on it looks smart, comfortable to wear and is just quality. I wholly recommend it the self winding mechanism is so easy to use, the only thing i have had to do is make sure i wear it everyday or give it a shake or two everyday to keep the watch wound up but its what the watch is supposed to do and be used for.

the black canvas strap is smart and comfortable and you get the satisfaction of seiko quality and no batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars but as my wrists are on the narrower size I find it a perfect size. The watch is automatic/mechanical and you are ..., 1 Jan. 2015
I have recently been bought this watch as a present and felt it was worth passing on some of my opinions about the watch.
First it is a little small by today's standards, with mens watches becoming larger and larger, but as my wrists are on the narrower size I find it a perfect size.
The watch is automatic/mechanical and you are unable to top it up by winding, although I have not found this a problem as it has a very good reserve when left off the wrist, Ive not calculated exactly, but its probably over 24hrs
its will start with just a few shakes anyway and the only thing necessary is to set up the date and day and adjust the time.
When doing this you need to set the date and day to the day before and then move the time forward until the correct time, date and day are achieved.
So far the timekeeping has been excellent for a mechanical watch and it only gains about 30 seconds over a week
Over all its an excellent watch for this price, Recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this watch in August 2014, I have ..., 12 Jan. 2015
I bought this watch in August 2014, I have had Seiko Automatic watches before and they have lasted me years. This watch ran well for the first four months, then occasionally, it stopped during the night, by Christmas it was stopping every night. Every morning I would awake not knowing the real time, I have stopped wearing it. £70 is a lot of money for a watch that lasted six months.

5.0 out of 5 stars The japanese made a great watch, 19 May 2014
Kemal Kurklu (Tallinn Estonia) - See all my reviews
This is my first watch ever and first review too. I don't know what else to expect from it as it works perfrctly. No minute gain or lose issues here. I wear this watch all the time, it sits comfortably on my wrist (i have an average size wrist)it is not very big, it is a typical military watch. I don't like the nylon strap that this watch came with so i bought a leather Nato Zulu strap (i hear these straps are pretty good) instead.The watch is water resistant but you can't swim with it.Washing the dishes,taking shower won't be problem though.Dials luminate only after being exposed to sun light (holding the watch to desk lamp works too.Hold it under the direct light for about a minute and the dials will glow for about 5,6 hours.

That 's pretty much it.i love this watch.Great value for money.Besides,it was made by the Japanese..enough said