4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and informative
I found this book very interesting.

Published on 25 Nov 2006 by GRANNYD

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and corny
Published on 14 Aug 2008 by K.G.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting and informative, 25 Nov 2006
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Hardcover)
I found this book very interesting.

Having waited with baited breath for it's release I had anticipated something along the lines of LADY OF HAY and I was right it is along the lines but does not quite reach the finishing post! I became frustrated with the present day charecters. I would recommend it but would say it's not quite her usual not as good as Midnight is a lonely place or Kingdom of shadows-nowhere near Lady of hay but on par with Child of the Pheonix

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mystical, Magical Book, 20 April 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Paperback)
Barbara Erskine is a history graduate and no doubt this has helped her a great deal in her writing of historical novels. She has several best selling internationally acclaimed novels and these help to demonstrate her love of history and also her interest in the supernatural. She lives with her family in an ancient manor house near Colchester, a place that is, itself steeped in history, particularly around the time of the Roman occupation.

Much to my shame I always used to think that good historical novels were always written by men, which of course is complete nonsense and Barbara Erskine is one of those female authors who prove the point. This book switches between the past, Roman Britain and the present day, where history impacts quite dramatically on the lives of three women.

The novel features Cartiimandua, a young woman destined to become the ruler of one of the greatest British tribes, the Brigantes. As her power grows her life becomes ever more complicated. She knows that she enemies on all sides, not only from the Roman invaders but people much closer to her. She has to make a choice that will change the future forever . . .

In the present day, Viv Lloyd Rees a historian has specialized in the tales that abound about the Celtic queen. She becomes so immersed in her work that she starts to have visions of Cartimandua herself. Viv's obsession with the subject becomes even greater when she takes possession of an ancient brooch. A piece of jewellery that provides a link with the past. Then suddenly without warning the past intertwines with the present and Viv finds herself in danger of her life.

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive and corny, 14 Aug 2008
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Paperback)
My favourite type of book to read is fiction which is based on history so I was really looking forward to this book by Barbara Erskine, but I was really disappointed. Whilst some of the sections that described iron age Britain were undoubtedly fascinating, the story as a whole was so repetitive, the same things happened over and over again. The main modern-day character, Viv, went back in time in her dreams or waking visions, came back to normality, saw a ghost, was frightened and then there was a corny one liner about the evil Medb character trying to take over the story. I quite liked it when it was just Viv that experienced the past, but when other historical figures started posessing other modern day characters it became ridiculous and I didn't stop moaning about how silly my book was until I finally finished it. The ending was rubbish as well. I don't like giving up on a book once I've started but this was a real struggle to the finishing line and I was very relieved to put it down at last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as 'Lady of Hay', 20 Aug 2008
Mrs. D. Penn (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Paperback)
Like others before, I too was very reluctantly disappointed in this book as it did repeat the same things over and over again. The characters always seemed to be doing the same things but in different locations. The best BE novel to my mind was 'Lady of Hay' and I have read and own them all. Of course, a lot of research must have gone into this and it IS very entertaining and yes I DID find it difficult to put down - but all the time getting more and more exasperated by the repetition .... perhaps I was waiting for something new to happen?

5.0 out of 5 stars and excellent read from a favourite author, 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Hardcover)
I'd been waiting ages for the new book by BARBARA ERSKINE, and this was certainly worth the wait. I'll admit to being a little disappointed by HIDING FROM THE LIGHT, her last novel, but this one is up there with LADY OF HAY and MIDNIGHT IS A LONELY PLACE (the latter of which remains my favourite BARBARA ERSKINE novel.) Characters are memorable and the narrative only drags slightly in a couple of paces, but it kept my interest till the end. If you enjoy BARBARA ERSKINE'S novels, try those of BENJAMIN FORD. THE MASTER OF PROPHECY is a superior sequel to MASTER OF THE SCROLLS, and PORTRAIT OF SHADE is a good read too. All three OF BENJAMIN FORD'S books follow similar themes to BARBARA ERSKINE'S... restless spirits seeking revenge for past deeds, possession, plus time travel with added fantasy elements.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious ridiculous "cobblers", 16 Nov 2010
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Paperback)
I have read quite a few Barbara Erskine books; & my 2 favourite are Child of the Phoenix & Lady of Hay. So when I started this book, I therefore expected much of the same brilliant story & gripping unputdownable plot. How disappointed could one be??!!

Before I'd managed to drag myself through the first seemingly never-ending chapter, I was bored out of my skull & knew I had a huge mammoth task in front of me if I was to persevere with this "story". The main words I would use to describe it are "boring", "dull", "silly", "ridiculous" & "corny". The characters are unbelievable, unlikable & unrealistic. The story is....... well, non-existent. The same things happen over & over again. I actually read this book just to get it out the way & move onto my next book.

I'm sorry Barbara fans, but it seems like she has finally run out of ideas for her books; this was chronic to say the least.

To sum up; if you're thinking of buying it - don't waste your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read - as always from this talented writer, 18 Aug 2006
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Hardcover)
This book will be no disappointment to Barbara Erskine fans. As always a most fascinating story, based on many well researched facts. The whole story flows, and I had to savour every word, so as not to reach the end too quickly! I have read all of this superb writers books, not once but many times, and no doubt I shall be reading this one again and again..... I hope we may soon hear that another book will be on the way. Congratulations Barbara, your books are SUPERB!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brillant !!!, 14 Aug 2006
Kd Wj Legg "leggsey" (Hampshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Hardcover)
I was hooked from page one and could not put this book down.

Barbara Erskine manages to weave the past and present as only she can, and if you are a fan of her books as I am then dont miss this one, its great and you wont be disappointed !!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read....., 21 Jun 2007
V. Blackburn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Paperback)
I am not usually a fan of books that have more than one story going on at the same time but this book moves between the Iron Age and the present and back again very smoothly with both sets of central characters beautifully intertwined. I could not put this book down - it took over my dreams and I wanted to go to Ingleborough for myself to hear and see those sights and sounds from long ago. My first Erskine but certainly not my last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughters of fire by Barbara Erskine 2006, 7 Sep 2006
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Hardcover)
It took me a while to get into this book, and getting used to the celtic and Roman names as quite a few are involved in the main story, but once I got going I loved it and read the rest of the book in just over a week, once it grips you then you have to read on, I have read every book Barbara Erskine has written, having started with the Lady of Hay (which is my all time favourite) and while waiting for Daughters of Fire to be released, I started reading Elizabeth Chadwick books, again a superb historical writer , Im in the process of readng all Elizabeth chadwicks (uk author not usa author) books love them superb, Try them especially The Greatest Knight!!! etc

Daughters of Fire