5.0 out of 5 stars A riot of the ridiculously awesome
Published on 16 Aug. 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard
I originally found out about the author Ben Thompson through his website. The website was brilliant, witty and above all funny. When I discovered that he had written a book I scrambled to get hold of a copy.
When the book arrived I was quite disappointed.
Published on 15 Jun. 2011 by A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A riot of the ridiculously awesome, 16 Aug. 2010
A Kid's Review
I bought this book for light hearted reading and also to be amazed by outrageous stories. This book does that admirably and more. It is written in a style that is full of pop-culture references and focuses on presenting the spirit of the individual 'badasses' rather than a detailed historically rigorous manner. It is on this basis that I gave it the full 5 stars as each individual is presented vividly and with a great sense of humour.

In short, if you want something that you can pick-up, read a few pages of outrageously true accounts of insane acts of 'badassery', then this is it. Awesome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard, 15 Jun. 2011
When the book arrived I was quite disappointed.
The most prominent observation I made was that the author was clearly trying too hard to be funny! Thompson on his website, seems like a natural writer but this book was clearly trying too hard. Some of the characters were originally on the website and were rewritten for the book. I got bored after reading the first few pages and the writing was not as funny and nowhere near as original as the website. The illustrations just take up space, there are many "fun facts" in the book which are out of place in a book like this. The book doesn't seem to have been planned very well, and seems to have been rushed.

Final thoughts: For those thinking of buying the book, I would not recommended it. Stick to the website. However I do think the author still has a future as a writer, its just not in books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read for a break from seriousness, 4 Aug. 2011
I bought this book and its companion on a fly of fancy and I'm glad to say I was not disappointed. It's a great thing to read when you're tired of reading 'serious' books and just want to read something to get a laugh out of. This book fits the bill perfectly, with Thompson's bombastic style of writing, going over the top. It may be excessive but it's a great joke when you need it and when you just want to enjoy the sheer larger-than-life personalities described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toned down from the on-line version, but still excellent., 12 Dec. 2012
An amazingly funny, if slighthly jaundiced view of history. The entries in the book are rather toned down somewhat from the on line material at badassoftheweek.com which really is a fanstacic read. Understandable I guess, as the proliferation of the f word would probablly get the book banned.

Some will no doubt find this work offensive. But the use of metaphore is dazzling, and though must darker and ruder in tone, reminds me a little of early PG Wodehouse in its originality.

Bottom line is that any 'bloke' will love this book, but don't bother sending it to your maiden aunt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book. Loved it so much I bought the ..., 28 Aug. 2014
Brilliant book. Loved it so much I bought the authors other two books. Really well written and bigger books than you think. Definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a while to arrive, 5 Feb. 2013
I gave this book as a present and he is very happy, it's good fun, a nice read. It was quite expensive though and it took a while to arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 24 Dec. 2012
Great book. Ending is not as strong as beginning though. The illustrations are fantastic. Highly recommended book. . . .

Badass (Badass Series)