Published on 26 April 2010 by Mrs. Marilyn Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Could not get into it.
Published 7 months ago by Mr. G. Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul: How to Create a New Self, 26 April 2010
Mrs. Marilyn Bennett "www.spiritual-pursuits.com" (scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This book I bought on a whim and I am glad that I did. I have known for a long time that our bodies are a reflection of our mind. When we get annoyed our body lets us know in the solar plexus that we are tense. When we are frightened, our pupils dilate, our breathing quickens, our palms sweat and our mouths go dry. There is no mystery in this, it is a fact. After the event we are still able to feel the physical effects of what happened for a long time and it does not take a great leap of the imagination to suppose that some of the effects we feel may be cumulative causing long term damage. This is one of the reasons why meditation is so very good for you and why proper breathing and taking control not only of our minds, but our feelings and our views and beliefs is vital for health. I was not aware of the possibility of changing our genes and this is a concept I will look into further.
A previous criticism of this book was that someone enjoyed all the works of Deepak Chopra and chose to have cosmetic surgery. I do not see a conflict here. I can enjoy meditation and this does not mean that I will never have a glass of wine. We live our lives the best way that we can and if we choose to enjoy reading and at the same time engage in surgery - so be it.
This book does help us to connect at a very basic level with ourselves and with our feelings but it should not be confused with a manual on - if you do (a) then (b) is the outcome - common sense and knowledge is the key to living your life in a way that is harmonious to yourself and to the planet.
Someone once said ( I am sorry I have forgotten who) that an unexamined life is no life at all. After reading this book you will be more aware of what you are doing not only to others but also yourself.
There has been a lot of talk recently about various authors not being genuine. You are not expected to be a child and read a book and blindly follow it word for word. Part of adulthood is asking yourself the question "Does this feel right to me" If the answer is yes then go for it and if not then stop and re-evaluate what it is that is troubling you. All I ask is that you read the book and make your own mind up.
For my money this is one book which will remain on my bookshelf for years to come. It is an important work and one that deserves more than one reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jan 2010
Deepak Chopra is amazing - how he manages to write so many books whilst being so busy teaching is beyond me. Perhaps it suggests that he really is connected to some spiritual source inside him, or at least to some major creative part. This is as readable and insightful as any of his other books, making it clear that we have much power over our own bodies than we realise. It's all about using our mental powers in the correct way, so that both body and mind can reach an optimum state. I would recommend on it heartily, only with the proviso that if you've read other books by Deepak, you may have heard certain things before. Another great new book I've just read is Steve Taylor's Out of the Darkness, a massively inspiring book on spiritual awakening Out of the Darkness: From Turmoil to Transformation

3.0 out of 5 stars Could not get into it., 26 Nov 2013
Mr. G. Craig "Garry Craig" (Portsmouth UK) - See all my reviews
I am involved in complimentary medicine and have read a great deal of Deepaks work. I have been to one of his lectures in London and he re-affirmed all my personal beliefs and left me feeling I was on the right track. His earlier writings seemed full of originality, but they developed in to a predictable format, which I find less inspiring. This book has many personal stories which, although interesting, come across to me as fillers, reducing significantly the actual content of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 20 Sep 2013
B. Davison (Merseyside) - See all my reviews
I am working my way through this book for the second time and making notes because there is so much information which I need to absorb. Wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is correct in it's assertions, 24 Aug 2011
A Richardson (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The last Chopra I read was about 10 years ago, so I picked this up on a whim to see if his latest developments related to my experiences of healing in the past decade. I liked his previous book but didn't read more as I was following my own way of doing things and didn't want my mind crammed with other's views, especially the wannabe gurus out there. So it is lovely to be in agreement with what he says in this latest publication and I congratulate him for putting it in a readable and accessible manner. The body/mind link is explained better in other books but if you are interested in the effects rather than the science, this book is very accurate on the effects of trauma and emotions on the body. You have to suspend the busy, interfering ego in order to get to the meat of this book and in fact the soul needs no instruction on what to do once the ego has been stilled, but this book gives good information that may still the critical mind for you. Fighting the ego is simply not the way forward, in fact the only way forward is to take the time to sit in real stillness and let the soul energy (repressed and feared by the ego in most people) emerge. There will always be those who scoff and sneer at this type of literature, but in my humble opinion Mr Chopra states many truths in this book. His passion seems to be for finding new ways to communicate the need for us to let go; in this book he succeeds in putting higher concepts into plain language for the common man. Only 4 stars because he complicates a very simple message with many examples, case histories and occasionally patronising metaphors but that is, I suppose, because he knows his regular audience. Perhaps some of the info is still fodder for the ego to grab onto, but he at least tries to give info that will qualm our fears of intentionally letting the soul emerge. When all is said and done, there will never be a substitute for letting the mind completely relax, so Chopra tries to calm our anxieties and reassure us that we will only be letting go of that which holds us back. He must be walking the talk to have even written this, as it is not just a cynical rehash of other's ideas. If you find this book frustrating, you probably need it the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deepak Chopra, 13 May 2014
I have always enjoyed any books or information from the famous DEEPAK.
Who could say anything negative about this author... LIKE everything he projects to the wider world comes from a traditionional culture including Philosophy, MIND BODY and SOUL.
He is science based in Endocrinology (USA) so combination of complete understanding of the human hormonal system and its effects... allows for trust of the knowlendge not open to speculation
but TRUTH. So LIKE is a generic term for TRY it... what is not to LIKE?
I LOVE the SOUL of the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY at last !, 5 Jan 2013
This book crystallises what one can do to literally reinvent oneself .....it gives one the chance to hope and believe in one's own field of possibilities by putting into practice the tools for reacching one's deepest desires ....what more can we ask for in a world that has become so heavy and dead with primitive thinking ?

3.0 out of 5 stars Bridging the Gap., 18 Feb 2010
L. Mateus "lolakaycee" (SW London) - See all my reviews
I have read almost all of Chopra's books, and while many of them come out with some pretty cutting edge statements, I wonder if this is all just schpiel to sell books?Like many self help gurus Chopra's claims haven't all translated into ACTUAL Reality. An example: Demi Moore is an avid Chopra fan, she has resorted quite heavily to plastic surgery(among other things)to keep her body and face way younger than her years. It makes me think that Chopra's vital looks could well be due to a superb Los Angeles cosmetic surgeon too, and NOT due to what he writes in his books.

There is an ever greater gap being created by self help gurus that write gimmicky self help books claiming promises that just affirm and believe in the law of attraction and all you want will come to you.If it were all that simple then we would all be rich and happy.So in the future readers will be turning to self help gurus (and hopefully politicians too) and expecting more than empty promises, but will demand that if they put the contents of the books into practice that SOME sort result is achievable that vaguely resembles what the author promised it would.

What can you expect from reading this book? Well if you have read some of Chopras work you will find plenty of concepts and theories that have been encountered before in his previous books, plus there is alot of other ideas that are somewhat new. The book (like all his books) are interesting to read, but I couldn't help wondering when I got to the end if I was being sold a fairytale?

From my end I have taken all the information on board and will be setting myself the challenge to see if what he preaches does in fact WORK. If it doesn't then I doubt I will be buying any more of Mr.Chopra's books, seeing as they are clearly inspirational books and not books that have any basis grounded on actual reality. That is the least I can do to finally establish beyond any doubt that I have been missold a fairy tale in the disguise of a self help book!
Or perhaps not.....watch this space!

5.0 out of 5 stars The marriage between science and religion, 19 Nov 2010
Born in India, Deepak Chopra has the benefit of a spiritual upbringing, coupled with the scientific discipline gained through his career as a surgeon. The marriage of these two backgrounds produces a book containing amazing insights into the true cause of all diseases affecting the body, and the therapy required to resolve them, and maintain a health body. Deepak reveals the quantum and virtual realms of energy that we are a part of, and how they act upon and with us. The problem for most of us, is that we are unaware of who we are and what we are a part of. This book will help you take charge of yourself, and if you can do that, you will cope with life differently, and bring to yourself a life that is more befitting of your essence. Bob Lovelock, author, "A Ticket to Freedom, your license to be different".