Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£16.90

on 17 June 2016
This ones bought for the daughter (11), I started the series and enjoyed it immensely but found it too easy for my elevated age (43).
I wasn't going to continue with the story but I got bombarded by the daughter to get more,
As always I read my kids books first and act as a censor for some books, Michael grants 'gone' series gave me nightmares never mind the kids!
Siren is an enjoyable book and suits the age group perfectly, I enjoyed the way the story flowed with the central characters being bright and entertaining as always.
Overall an excellent addition to any YA book collection!
In the fifth installment of the SEPTIMUS HEAP saga, Septimus has been made senior apprentice after having returned alive (the only apprentice to do so) from his Queste.

Septimus and his dragon, Spit Fyre, set off on what is supposed to be a simple mission to retrieve his friends Princess Jenna, Nicko, Beetle, Snorri, Ullr, and Milo from the Trading Post, where he had left them at the end of the last mission. The retrieval quickly becomes complicated when Septimus mistakenly refuses the live SafeCharm sent to him by Aunt Zelda.

The SafeCharm, which holds a jinnee, is stolen from the delivery boy to whom Zelda had entrusted it and opened by a boy named Merrin. Since Merrin is not particularly bright, he has no idea of what a jinnee is, let alone what to do with one. As a result, the jinnee is set free to wreak havoc.

Meanwhile, Wolf Boy, one of Septimus' best friends, sets off on his own Task, which will lead him to fulfill the role of Zelda's apprentice, or Intended Keeper.

When Septimus meets up with his friends, they are on a ship owned by Milo Banda, Jenna's father, and only Jenna and Beetle decide to return with Septimus and Spit Fyre. The separation of the friends causes problems for both groups, as Septimus' group runs into a dangerous storm during which Spit Fyre is injured and crash lands on a small island, and Nicko's group must deal with a mysterious chest that Milo has brought onto his ship.

As usual, Sage captures attention from the first page and holds readers enthralled until the last. Fans of Septimus Heap will find this new journey as enjoyable as his previous ones - and will wait impatiently for the next adventure of this likeable young hero.

Reviewed by: Theresa L. Stowell
on 12 April 2010
So original, loved it! The Septimus Heap 'world' is imagined and written so well by A Sage that you can almost believe it's a real place, Utterly authentic and rich in variety and little nouances I just wish she'd go on writing them forever. (btw i altho this is in 'kids' section i am 25 :-P)
on 1 April 2012
There is something about the Septimus Heap series in that it takes a while to really get going, you get hints that it will get exciting but it's only towards the end that it actually becomes exciting with a gradual build. his was still true of Syren, although I do think it got going a little quicker than the previous books. I think I am enjoying the stories more as we go through the series as well, and whereas before I read the other books without and real anticipation I am actually really looking forward to Darke, I just wish it was out already!

Really my main problem with this series is that it isn't much of a series in the way the books link together. In some ways this one was linked to the other books, and I can definitely see how it may link to the next book, but it also seems in some ways unnecessary to the series as a whole, and as if Sage was just trying to stretch out the books.
on 4 October 2009
When I first started reading book 1 of this series (Magyk), I was not at all sure about it. It seemed that here was another series about wizards in a faux medieval setting, with nothing much to distinguish it. But just as I was thinking this to myself, Boy 412 leapt from the pages and slapped me around the face with a damp herring! I was totally hooked, because this series is second to none in terms of imagination, lovable characters (princess Jenna, Marcia the extraordinary wizard, Beatle and Aunt Zelda to name but a few) and hilarious plot elements and twists that are strongly reminiscent of a mixture of J K Rowling and Roald Dahl. Angie Sage is in the top flight of British children's authors - and one thing these books are not, is derivative. They are original and enjoyable stories that will be loved by children, young adults and adults alike.

This book takes up where the last left off. Princess Jenna, Beatle, Nicko and Snorri have not yet made it home after the adventures in Queste, and a newly promoted Septimus takes it upon himself to collect them on his dragon, Spitfyre. But all is not as it should be, and Aunt Zelda's attempts to get a safecharm to Septimus do not run exactly according to plan! The result then is an adventure that is every bit as good as those in previous volumes.

In this story we learn more about Princess Jenna's father, and wrap up some other storylines. We learn about another type of magical (or should I say "magykal") creature that has not yet made an appearance, but makes up for it here in Angie Sage's usual off the wall but captivating style. As usual there are issues of love, friendship, trust and betrayal, forgiveness and reconciliation. There are poignant moments and exhilarating ones, and all wrapped up in a zany world that is characteristic of this series.

One new twist in this book is that the world of Septimus Heap gains a whole new and unexpected dimension to its history. Some people will love this for the way it fills in some questions about why the world is as it is. Others will perhaps be less sure, having been quite comfortable with a world that had some mysteries as to how it got the way it is. I'll avoid spoilers by not saying more about that here.

All in all, though, this is a first class book in a first rate series. I would have no problem in recommending this to pretty much anyone at all.
on 29 April 2014
This series of books is brilliant, and not to be kept for the kids either! I am slightly! over the age recommended for these books but I found them enthralling, and have the whole set. Would recommend them to any kid, or kid at heart, who likes fantasy tales like Harry Potter and the like. Thank you Angie Sage.
on 11 October 2013
this is book 5, haven't read it yet but looking forward to it i have bought the whole series it was cheaper on the kindle, and i don't need to wait ages at the library and then forgetting which one i've read
on 20 April 2013
Delighted to have yet another Septimus Heap book to read to my kids at bedtime. We have devoured the whole series in this way and now pleased to have new material. The characters have become family friends!
on 1 June 2010
Both my son and I have been reading Angie Sage and discussing it between us...My son thinks this is the best out of all 5 books and cannot seem to wait for the next book. I agree with him that Septimus Heap series is one of the best out there.
on 14 January 2014
I confess that I had not read any books in this series for a long time; this book was a slap in the face and brought me back to the reality of the castle, although you do not see much of it in this book, and I was relieved to see Jenna, Septimus, Beetle, Nicko and the rest of the gang after a long time without reading of them in a long time.
Typical of a Septimus Heap book, disaster strikes early on after you think it's all right. A malicious spirit combined with a cat-man; this book is full of the quirky, original and magical stuff that Angus Sage is famous for. However much I would love to tell you, I would not want to spoil it for you. If you haven't read the first four, though, don't read this yet! Highly recommend, nothing more needs to be said.