5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi ............... Stunning in Blu-ray!
I was bought the Blu-ray for Christmas, and having watched it, it leaves all previous Bon Jovi DVDs in the dust!

Published on 30 Dec. 2009 by Kaz M

3.0 out of 5 stars great concert.. very badly put together!
This is a very good looking blu ray concert and Bon Jovi play excellent as always.. however for the people that put together this disc what were you thinking?

Published on 16 May 2010 by M. Davis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars great concert.. very badly put together!, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Live At Madison Square Garden [Blu-ray] [2010] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

Ok definition of what the 'bonus' section of a dvd is for.. deleted scenes, interviews, outakes, songs from other concerts.. etc.. what it is NOT for: songs from the same concert as on the dvd!! and that is what we have here.. three of Bon Jovi's best songs taken out of the main concert and put into the bonus section. why?? when you put this disc on you want to see the concert complete and in full.. you dont want to have to go into the menu at the end and select the last three songs one by one! very very annoying!

And to add to the annoyance the last track 'Bad Medicine' although it is to from the main concert it has no picture to it and instead is played as just audio as the end credits roll.. very frustrating!

So that all for me spoils what is a great concert from Bon Jovi and in HD quality so good you feel you are there!

Bon Jovi 10.. editors 0

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi ............... Stunning in Blu-ray!, 30 Dec. 2009
Kaz M (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The picture quality is absolutely stunning; rich, vibrant colours with crisp, sharp video. The sound is amazing also, Jon's vocals soar. The video has a mix of all their classic hits, Living on a Prayer, Always, It's my life, along with some rare gems like Dry County, Blood on Blood and Living in Sin. Along with their hits, there is also Jon's stunning version of the song Hallelujah.

The documentary is worth the price of this Blu-ray alone. It is truly a very rare insight into the inner workings of one of the biggest and most successful Rock Bands of all time. Jon's frank, honest assessments of the sometimes lonely life on the road, to the pressures and demands of fronting the brand 'Bon Jovi'.

It truly is a must for all Bon Jovi fans, and those who are curious just what it's like to be in the crowd at one of their rocking concerts!

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid concert with a few niggling issues, 4 Jan. 2010
K. Bukowski-Kruszyna (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
First, let me confirm the technical specifications:

Running Time: 3 hrs 39 mins approx (Concert and documentary)
Disc Format: 1 x BD50 Dual Layer

Picture Format: 1080p/24 (Concert and documentary)
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1

21 Bad Medicine
22 You Give Love A Bad Name
23 Runaway
24 Bed Of Roses

Now for the review itself. I must start off by saying that this is probably one of Bon Jovi's best concerts to date, the playing is spot on (as is the singing) and the audience and the band seem to be really enjoying themselves!

One little problem I have though is that for some reason the concert seems to have been edited strangely - there are 24 songs on the disc yet not all of them are viewable as part of the concert. Firstly, Bad Medicine is played at the end of the concert (presumably as an encore) but there is only audio available as the screen is blacked out for the credits. It seems strange to watch the credits whilst listening to the crowd go wild over this song.
Likewise the last 3 songs (You Give Love A Bad Name, Runaway and Bed Of Roses) are only available as bonus songs - they can only be played separately and individually from the main menu - for some reason they've been edited out of the concert and tacked on as extras. I'd have much preferred them to be reinserted into the concert itself, or better yet not edited out in the first place! don't understand why they were presented this way as they are all in 1080p with the same audio options as the rest of the concert!

On the plus side the visual presentation is generally superb. There a few soft shots and it seems that the stationary cameras had different specifications to the others used as the picture quality changes when switching to them - it isn't bad (there's still lots of detail) it's just obvious to see that different cameras are being used, the colours change ever so slightly and the contrast seems a bit brighter. Also, as was pointed out by a friend, these stationary cameras shake a bit as they've been placed a bit too close to the drums and are picking up quite a few vibrations. Overall the detail is superb and colours leap off the screen.

As for the audio I was disappointed to read that only TrueHD and stereo were being provided (I've become used to DTS HD Master and PCM Stereo), but they perform admirably enough. Strangely the TrueHD track sounded a bit muddier and subdued than the stereo track (so much so that I had to play the concert on a higher volume on the TrueHD track than on the stereo to hear everything properly).

As far as extras are concerned we are provided with the documentary "When We Were Beautiful" in all its 1080p glory and it is fantastic! It is well worth watching for any fan of Bon Jovi, new or old as it provides such an insight into the working of the band!

Overall the only real problems on the disc are the little issues with the audio provision, but that aside I can wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Blu Ray, 9 Feb. 2011
I know some people have slated this concert for it's format, yes slightly odd to have separate videos instead of them just being as part of the concert, but to me it's a minor grumbling. I already owned this previously on DVD and so can make the direct comparisons. DVD picture & sound were both sufficient in my opinion. Blu ray is far superior on the picture quality, richer blacks and more vibrant colours and Richie's sparkly bits look even better in HD. Sound was a little disappointing, I'd have thought the option of DTS should have been available having said that I guess unless you have a detached house you won't be able to have it on full often anyway! I'm a die hard Bon Jovi fan and maybe a little blinkered in my opinions but I love this concert, I know some people find fault with it but I would highly recommend it, Jon's singing while amongst the crowd and Richie's version of "I'll Be There For You" are amazing in themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi - Live at Madison Square Garden (Blu Ray), 3 Dec. 2009
M. Z. Zafeer (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well what can I say. I tried to purchase this title in Blu ray on the high street but I had no luck, so I turned to amazon instead.
To see Bon Jovi perform in HD is a must for ALL Bon Jovi fans. The picture and sound is amazing! The whole concert is shot in 1080p HD quality.
All together there are 25 songs which the band perform from the very last night (15/07/2008) of the massive Lost Highway 2008 World Tour.
And not only is the concert in HD, but on this Blu Ray version, the band's documentary (When We Were Beautiful) is included too, and yes its in amazing HD 1080p quality!

*You have to check out Jon Bon Jovi perfoming 'You Want To Make A Memory', 'Bed of Roses' and Blood On Blood', in the middle of the crowd - him on one side of the arena and the rest of the band on the other side! - its a fantastic performance!*

Also, I have noticed that on my Blu Ray, when the band is performing 'In These Arms', towards the end of the song, the Blu Ray disc freezes and eventually starts again just before the song finishes. Now I don't know if this problem is with all Blu Ray discs, or just mine?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Bon Jovi Fans, 12 Nov. 2010
Well, It's a must-have for all Bon Jovi fans. The video quality is great and everything is very well put together! I recently discovererd that appart from the concert itself there is over an hour long DOCUMENTARY, which I could not believe it was there! I also discovered that in the extras section there are three or so additional songs from the gig! Well done! I love Bon Jovi and I love this BR concert release. The price is really a steal compared to the quality stuff you are getting. Full marks from me! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi- Live At Madison Square Garden [Blu-ray] [2010], 9 Sept. 2010
I am very pleased with my purchase. This was a brilliant concert and it's great to be able to watch it again and again in flawless Blu-ray quality. The only thing that could be better is if it had the original set list. Other than that it is perfect.
Also the 'When we were beautiful' documentary is a great addition and very interesting to watch.

Thanks amazon for a smooth and fast transaction and a speedy delivery.

4.0 out of 5 stars blu ray opinion, 27 Sept. 2011
Owen Roberts - See all my reviews
i bought this as early xmas pressie for my dad as hes a jovi fan ( at 70 ), i must admit likign some of the songs as well. the blu ray picture i will say is stunning...out of my blu ray music concert/music collection out of 5 blu rays id put it at 3rd best... my collectiomn consists of mj -this is it , mj - moonwalker, springsteen london calling , ac/dc live at river plate.... all are 4/5 material at worst tho with the boss as the best pic ive seen so far...

i have a panny sc-bt230 blu-ray surround system and for some reason the sound is pretty low qaulity ...i have to whack the volume up to get a half-decent listen :( could be the disc , but its not my player is the others are fine

so it losses a star ... i did think of givign it a 3 just on this issue alone as at the end of the day this is a music disc.....but benefit of the doubt

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Set, 12 Feb. 2010
Marshall A. Hawkins "bounce442" (Edmond, OK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic DVD of most of Bon Jovi hits and several rarities that the hardcore fans will treasure. However, the setlist says Bad Medicine is included but it is nowhere to be found... weird.

The directing has nothing on the Live in London DVD - their personal best and maybe the best live DVD ever IMO. I lost count of cameras used during the MSG filming but the quality of some of the cameras weren't that good... but overall if you are a fan of Bon Jovi it really is a must have for the set list alone. I bought the blu-ray and I am not sure it is that big of a difference, especially if you already have the documentary with the Circle release...

5.0 out of 5 stars great blu ray entertainment, 9 Mar. 2012
Mr. Frank S. Harrison "frank h." (maidstone kent) - See all my reviews
ordered this as just had new blu ray player and speaker system for tv and wanted to see how they performed. the filming in hd was great and the sound good enough and more for me,although some reviews have issue with recording format.the bonus documentary made the whole package great value. the delivery was prompt and tracking info first class. i would not hesitate to buy more discs from this supplier.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›