4.0 out of 5 stars The first Morse, the start of a long relationship
Having watched the new TV series Endeavour, I decided to re-read the Morse books. Whilst John Thaw and now Shaun Evans have brought the character off the page, I still love the books. Well worth going back to, or picking these up if you have seen the programmes.
Published 23 months ago by Andrew King

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 7 days ago by S. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The first Morse, the start of a long relationship, 27 May 2013
Andrew King "AKA" (Nairn, Scotland) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Pulled me in, 11 Sept. 2013
This was the first Morse I'd read, though I have watched and enjoyed all the drama series on TV over the years. It was actually quite different from the TV Morse which I was pleased about. The story was good and the way the investigation unfolded clever and interesting, plus there was a strong element of humour running through the story. I shall definitely be returning for another investigation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 April 2015
S. Williams (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
As a huge fan of the Morse TV series, I was very disappointed with this first book. I couldn't see the TV Morse at all. I struggled to relate to any of the characters and often couldn't even remember who was who or did what. For me, that's usually a sign I just haven't connected with them. The views on rape were quite shocking and distasteful and I don't think that excuses for what may or may not have been acceptable at the time are sufficient. The conclusion was rather far fetched and the way it was all brought together at the end rather clumsy and unconvincing. As I've got the whole series of books (a gift) I'm hopeful that the others will be better and this was just Colin Dexter finding his feet and developing his characters. The fact that the books were taken up for such a successful TV series makes me believe that the books and the characterisation do improve and I just need to be patient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Last Bus to Woodstock, 16 Feb. 2013
I enjoyed reading this book as it was like going back in time! There were no mobile phones or Internet - just old fashioned detective work. I will certainly be reading more Colin Dexter stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entering a new world, 5 Oct. 2014
I have just latched onto the Dexter / Morse / Lewis phenomenon and so it's like whole new world opening up in front of me. It's not "great literature" but it certainly is entertaining and clever. The prospect of reading all the 13 novels, and also watching all the "Morse" and "Lewis" videos is simply delightful. Each novel needs reading twice to appreciate the clever detail, and each video needs watching twice too. Add to all this the wonderful backdrop of the magical City of Oxford .... and I feel I am onto a very good thing! This novel is the first of Dexter's Morse novels, so this really is like a first step.

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 1 July 2013
Different from the series but a gripping and exciting read thoroughly enjoyed it.. Couldn't put it down will be getting others

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 May 2013
Inspector Morse is completely different to the tv version of the character but a very good read - could not put the book down

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 24 May 2013
Really enjoyed it, very well written. Have read a lot of his books and always enjoy his writing will readmore

5.0 out of 5 stars Last bus to Woodstock, 30 Dec. 2012
It was so like the inspector Morse I used love and watch on TV.Very good reading kept me guessing to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, 10 Jun. 2013
This is so well written and it keeps you guessing right from the beginning a brilliant book a must read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›