Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£15.75

on 17 July 2014
Excellent clever read. Makes a good easy lightweight read
on 8 November 2001
Absolutely brilliant, I'd say even better than "A Brief History of Time". I can see how it's not for everybody but if you've read "Brief History" then I'd definitely say read it. It goes into depth and is lavishly illustrated to make a point. Even easier to understand than his other books.
on 1 June 2009
I have had this book since it was first published. At this time i was a newbie in popular science, to be honest i didnt had a clue what he (stephen hawking) was talking about.

This book is not very clearly written. Its just mentions terms and theorems without explaining them. It just mentions stuff. Its a nice collection of terms and strange words, but a book ought to explain things. When i finished reading it, if someone would ask me ... tell me a brief summary i doubt that i could describe anything that i had understood.

I read it recently again. In the meantime i've read a lot of popular science books. Now it makes sense! All this salad of terms, makes sense if you have beforehand knowledge. But it never got too interesting. If you have read a couple of other books, i think it is a collection of pop science cliches!

On the pros, i would only mention the very nice drawings and graphs.

This book also doesnt have a clear subject. A little bit of everything, but very very little analyzing and explaining. There are other books, much much better to introduce you to modern physics.
on 28 April 2015
Item arrived on time and as described.
on 28 August 2015
Excellent, no problems, very pleased.
on 29 December 2014
Bought for a Christmas present :-)
on 26 April 2016
I'm very happy with my purchase
on 20 October 2014
good quality
good service
on 24 July 2008
Before I read this book, I have finished A Briefer History of Time also by Stephen Hawking. Therefore, I have had a general idea of time and relativity already.

I found University in a Nutshell is much harder to understand comparing with the A Briefer History of Time. The knowledge introduced in the book is much deeper and I counldn't understand much of it. I have got a master degree in microelectronics, if I got problem to understand I think many other people will have the same problem.

Hawking is trying to introduce the knowledge using non-mathematical ways. It is well illustrated, however, I think it is a bit over illustrated. I found many of the illustrations are redundant such as Einstein's photos and some other diagram isn't really helpful for readers to understand the knowledge which is written by word.

Generally speaking, it is still a very good book. It covers quite a lot of knoledge points such as black hole and etc. And it is quite a fun to read.
on 30 August 2014
Fast and perfect trade. :-)