5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving...
Published on 31 Oct 2007 by MorganaNK

3.0 out of 5 stars On the Edge
Read this book to understand more about TBI which my brother is recovering from. Some helpful insights but found the book drawn out.
Published 10 months ago by Fiona

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly moving..., 31 Oct 2007
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, after all, with all the press coverage you would think that you knew pretty much everything that there was to know about "The Hamster" and his accident on the 20th September 2006. However I was surprised and incredibly moved. The brutal honesty with which both Richard and Mindy described what they went through during that difficult time was compulsive if sometimes a little uncomfortable reading, and once I started the book I couldn't put it down. I ended up reading it in one sitting and am not ashamed to say that at times it reduced me to tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely incredible yet heartbreaking, please stop slagging them off for this., 27 Dec 2007
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
I have always been a huge fan of top gear and of richard hammond, so back in 2006 i was devastated to hear of his accident and followed his progress intently. when he released his autobiography i at first did not bother to buy it as i thought it would be just like all other autobiographies, quite boring. This was bought for me as a christmas present and i have to say although i have not yet finished it, it is an awe-inspiring story of amazing bravery and the power of love. It tugs at the heart strings and is very humbling. i have to admit this book has had me in tears many times, it is a very personal account of what happened and his recovery, not only from richard but also from his wife mindy. I would recommend this book to anyone, but i would also recommend to keep a box of tissues nearby whenever you pick it up to read!!! Oh and to all of you people who are slagging him and his wife off saying that this is a shameless cash in, you should be ashamed of yourselves, clearly none of you know what it is like to lose somebody to a car accident. i lost my brother in law to a car crash and i found that the best therapy for me and the best way to cope was to write down everything that had happened every day for months following his death, and write down all of my emotions and feelings and things that people had said to me and that i had said to them. It helped me to organise my emotions and feelings in my head and this in turn helped me to deal with the shock of the accident and come to terms with his death. I honestly believe that this is the same for richard and mindy and that this book was written as part of the healing process for both of them and that mindy has also written her parts so richard knows what happened as of course he wont remember, and i think it was written to set the record straight about what really happened to him during and after the accident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why this is good., 5 Nov 2007
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
For a couple to go into so much depth about their most personal moments is very brave, Richard and Mindy Hammond have done so with great dignity. I enjoyed this book very much because I knew that the ending was a happy one, but the book takes you through so much it is sometimes hard to remember that fact. I hope it really does help families going through similar trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Honesty, 17 Feb 2008
Mrs. J. L. Spry (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
Having read this book for a second time in three days, I am stunned by the power and honesty in the writing of both Richard and Mindy. The first few chapters of the book, written by Richard, offer a valuable insight into a man who loves life, machines, speed, thrills and most importantly, Mindy and their two little girls.

Life takes a dramatic turn after the crash and Mindy's account of her bedside vigil with Richard is beautifully written, heart-wrenchingly honest, painful, funny and poignant, as she recounts every tiny step Richard makes from coma to recovery. As someone who has sat in that chair next to the hospital bed of a seriously ill loved-one, I identify completely with her metaphorical elastic band, pulling her back to Richard every time she ventured to the coffee machine in the hospital. Without doubt her love played a huge part in Richard's healing.

Richard also writes candidly about his slow, painful and frightening recovery. His brutal honesty of how his brain injury affected him is humbling, and only serves to remind me of how precious and vital our consciousness and cognitivity are. I had no idea how terrified and confused brain injured patients can be. I admire enormously the courage and determination shown by Richard, who with the constant love and support of Mindy and his family, managed to gradually claw himself back through recovery, and most importantly enjoy life once again as a husband dad, son, brother, friend, colleague.

Thank you to both of you - brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous, heart-breaking and ultimately uplifting, 14 Nov 2007
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
I read this book in one sitting. It's not just for car fanatics; it is for anyone who has suffered serious injury, or anyone who has been in love. It is also, unlike many autobiographies, exceptionally well written.

Hammond skips through his childhood and early career in a breezy manner which allows the reader to understand how he came to where he is today without being bogged down in detail or feeling the story drags. His accident was horrific; his recovery was described as swift and miraculous by the media but behind the scenes the struggles were immense and still remain. His story is told in blunt detail; his honesty and that of his wife who co-narrates the book is to be commended. Above all though this is a love story. Love of friends, of family, and that of a husband and his devoted wife. Unmissable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Emotions, 31 Dec 2007
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
People who are saying this is a "sell-out", badly written or whatever other negativity seem to, on the whole, be missing the point.

Richard and Mindy Hammond are not writers (well, Richard does motoring articles/columns, but that's a whole different ball-game!) and they are writing about a very painful, difficult subject.

As a general fan of Top Gear, I was genuinely worried when I heard of Richard's accident, like many others, I frequently checked for updates on his status. It's like hearing the news that a fondly thought-of acquaintance had been seriously injured; you hoped and prayed they'd pull though but to be brutally honest, the outcome wouldn't drastically change your life.

Richard's recovery has been remarkable but very discreet, only his nearest and dearest really knew the hardships. This book is a small insight into that world. Partially as a thank you to all the people who showed their support through cards, flowers and words...and also as a sign of hope or just understanding to those who are fighting or have fought the same battle.

Richard tells us of his childhood experiences that ultimately led to the crash and his battle against severe brain damage. However, his wife, Mindy, gives us the most painful but inspirational story of all - Having to look after her confused, suffering Husband whilst trying to remain a loving, honest Mother to two scared little daughters. We see her strength, her weak moments and her undying patience, hope and love for her family.

My only criticism would be that, like Richard himself, it was just too short for my liking!! (sorry, I couldn't resist that one!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into brain injury, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
An amazing, compelling book. I couldn't put it down. Richard & Mindy share with true honesty & courage their story (stories?) after Richard's crash and its aftermath. It is a very moving book, making me cry more than once. But it is also an awe-inspiring book about recovery from a near-tragic event & of two people who fall in love all over again as a result.

It has helped give me a truer picture & understanding of brain injury & the recovery process. I hope it will help anyone who may be affected by such an injury, either as patient or family member. To all the medics etc, thank you for returning the Hamster to our screens. To Richard & Mindy, thank you for being brave enough to revisit such dreadful events to tell us your stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true love story, 20 Nov 2007
Mr. Stephen R. Jones (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
I read this book in two days as I couldn't put it down. It has left me with such a high regard for Richard and Mindy and the ordeal that the two of them had to overcome. I'm sure it will help people who may have suffered simlar injurys themselves or more importantly the members of their famlilies having to cope with the aftermath. Mindy showed such patience, understanding and strenth, that the book turned into a true love story of her enduring love for Richard and his love for her. This book is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected but very touching, 19 Oct 2007
B. Cooper (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
This book is not an in-depth autobiography of the popular TV presenter. His life up until 2006 is dealt with sparingly in the first 60-odd pages and then he drives to Yorkshire to do a film about driving a jet-car...

200 or so pages are dedicated to the accident and his recovery - written by Hammand and his wife in unison. Mrs. Hammonds sections of the book, from the moment she heard of the crash to returning home weeks later, are incredibly touching and a demonstration of what love can enable you to do.

She copes with unimaginable stresses and does her all to help not only her husband but her entire family through this trying time.

All-in-all this is a touching story of a family dealing with brain injury, it just so happens the injured one is famous, and recovering afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than I ever thought, 2 Jan 2008
Duke (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On The Edge: My Story (Hardcover)
I have to say I was expecting this to be an auto-biography which had a special focus on Richard's recent crash and recovery, the reality was very different. Two thirds of the book deals with the immediate recovery process that RH was faced with, while the other third talks briefly about his life up to the day of the crash.

I can't really add too much to what people have already mentioned about his powers of recovery etc so i will just explain why I enjoyed the book and what it meant to me.

This book gives you a very clear insight into what somebody has to go through when trying to recover from brain damage and this is something i very much enjoyed. For me the best part of the book was written by Mindy, Richards wife. Personally I have never thought too long about how much of an effect somebody's illness can have on their partner, wife, parents, children etc. Mindy gave a very honest and wonderful account of her time throughout RH's recovery and the challenges that she had to face. What an amazing woman, and what a devoted wife she is, Richard is an extremely lucky man.

I read this book in 4 days over Christmas, which is something that very rarely happens as i get very bored easily with books after 30 pages. This book will definitely give you a better understanding of what Richard and Mindy went through, and if like me you thought Richard was just cashing in on his fame to make a quick buck over Christmas, then you will be very humbled by this account.

I agree with others, shame on you if after you have read this book you still feel Richard is just cashing in on his illness. Don't buy the book if you feel that way, no one is forcing you to buy it, save your money and buy a classy read by Jordan or Kerry Katona instead.

On the Edge