on 24 October 2010
Well what else can be said about this work of FICTION?
Some good points have been raised by previous reviewers (including B. Gash Sifu with an excellent review being both a Choy Li Fut practitioner and a Christian) about this books inaccuracies. On first reading you may think that Mr Anthony really did train at the southern shaolin temple in china but if you apply a bit of reasoning and do some research you will find that his story is pure fantasy.
He is supposed to be fluent in cantonese but his pronunciation used is cantonese AND mandarin. His use of his granfather's name is incorrect for a chinese speaker> The family name comes first NOT last.
Mr A. used Cheung Ling Soo. It should be Soo Cheung Ling. There is NO record of a famous kung fu grandmaster of this name anywhere on the internet. Before you start slagging me off do a search on Wong Fei Hung, Chow Ah Nam, Ip Man, Lau Bun, Lam Sang, Lam Sai Wing, Ho Yun Chia, Chan Hon Chung etc. these are famous kung fu grandmasters that information CAN be found upon. Why did his famous kung fu master Lowsi have no other students? Also, Lowsi is teacher in Mandarin. So? I hear you say. well Generally kung fu teachers/masters are called Sifu (cantonese) or shifu (mandarin). Also why is his grandmaster "lowsi" not proficient in "dit dar" (fall and hit) medicine? this is a staple of traditional Chinese martial arts systems. There were also NO shaolin temples at this time in the 1970's. The Shaolin temple in Henan province was in ruins after being burnt down in the 1920's.
I have practiced Chinese Martial Arts for 6 years and can proudly announce I have had more kung fu training than Mr Anthony (which isn't difficult). He has plagiarised kung fu techniques from other sources (see the BULLSHIDO.COM thread for this) and his techniques he describes when in combat are appallingly in-accurate. The stances he trains after doing kung fu for 6 years are THE BASICS that are taught to beginners. I also take issue with the Kumatai (which is actually KUMITE from the japanese karate systems). This is straight out of the Van Damme film Bloodsport. Dim Mak is NOT "death touch" either. Dim Mak means roughly, "point pressing" and i have never heard of "Dim Lo". There are death points but these are known as "Say yuet"
Here you have a guy travelling around china to all it's numerous shaolin temples {these are debatable also] (including ludicrously enough being able to get into Tibet!) and then Pakistan to fight these non-existant death matches. Nunchukus are NOT traditional Chinese weapons.
The lifting the molten cauldron and having dragons burnt into his arms is straight out of the David Carradine "kung fu" series and is no doubt copyrighted by ABC the studio that produced it.
Mr Anthony is obviously a Walter Mitty character who must have had a really boring life so had to invent a fantastic one. I'm surprised he didn't say he was a trained ninja assassin as well.
These are just a FEW of the glaring inaccuracies in Taming the Tiger. So save your money and get it from your local library. (If your local library is still open after the public sector cuts!)
What concerns me is Mr Anthony travels around the UK visiting schools and Young worship groups spouting his untrue life story to impressionable kids/teens.
on 23 February 2012
The Truth Will Out = check this Link

[...]

I am writing this because I was recently told that Tony Anthony's Book "Taming The Tiger" must be true because of all the good Amazon Reviews. So I would like to set the record straight. I understand that the Good Reviews are written by people with the best intentions, but have they actually any proof of Anthony's claims or have they investigated his claims in any depth? Well I have, I have many Documented Proofs that Taming The Tiger is largely a collection of lies and unfortunately Anthony, as an Evangelist, actually preaches these lies to people around the world.

If any one would like to see these proofs, which are exhaustive, then if they reply to this Review with their email address I will contact them. Anthony's Wiki page, that was deleted several years ago through lack of proof, has been put up again, but again through lack of citations to prove any of his claims is reduced to just basic information and even that is awaiting verification.
I am saddened to write this but I believe, along with other concerned Christians friends and associates, that Tony Anthony attempts to spread the Gospel using deceit but the real Good News cannot be spread with lies.

Taming the TigerTaming The Tiger
99 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2006
By far the worst book i have ever read. Implausible rubbish being sold as a true story. A deluded fantasy from start to finish. What motivates someone to write nonsense like this?
on 6 May 2009
I am a Cristian and also a martial artist with over twelve years experience in Shaolin Kung-fu...because of this a friend of mine highly recomended this book.Normally I approach biographical works that are designed primarily to evangelise with caution, but because this book was about a man who grew up in China studying the Shaolin Arts, I actually was looking forward to reading his book and gaining some insights or the very least seeing his perspective on things. I was very shocked with what i read.
Now I ain't one to diss a brother, especially one evangelising, but I am very concerned with portrayals of the truth or perspectives of the truth.Years ago there was a very infamous expose of comedian Mike Warnkes books about Satanism.This book did much disservice to Christianity.This book in my opinion falls into the same category.
The overall criticism about this book is that it reads like a cheap 70s crime fiction novel.Nearly all the elements in the book regarding China, Martial Arts, International Kung Fu tournaments are straight out of a bad kung fu flick.
For example the author brazenly talks about training in the deadly Shaolin Arts...he even goes on to mention The Shaolin Temple, and training in the secret chambers. During the period these trainings were supposed to have happened, he fails to mention that it was illegal to practive traditional martial arts in China. Also during this period, the Shaolin temples (both Northern and Southern) were either in ruins and uninhabited or indeed (the southern temple) was actually 'lost'. His description of fights and tournaments feel like they are recollections of 70's shaw brother movies ...not real martial art fights.
Also his life as an international killer-for- hire is just plain implausible.It really is.
Now, I am not saying Mr Anthony's book is 100% fiction. I suspect it is possibly 90% fiction and bad fiction at that.It is fiction to the fact that whats real about the book is totally lost in all that James Bond like fabrication.
on 10 June 2011
I have met many ex fighters etc who became pacifist or Christian, or even just seeking to put aside their former life, everyone of them mild and meek. Boxers, martial artists, soldiers, wrestlers,an ex body builder 30 years after competing. All shared the same traits, they never ever lose the gravitas and persona they had while competing or training. Despite weight gain and age, they look exactly like they are, ex fighters.
I have also met Mr Anthony who exudes nothing but the charm of a used car salesman, with the pallor and skin of a Dickensian accountant. Growing up on a Garrison and spending alot of time in Northern Ireland too, I've met many people who have killed for duty as well as belief. I have also worked with people who have served time for manslaughter and murder. There is something about a person when they have crossed that line, even when they find the strength or faith to come back over. The man in the book sounds exactly like this, he's battle scarred physically and mentally, he wears life on his face despite repenting. I read the book first, as some friends who feel I should be Christian, told me he was visiting our town. The man in the book was worth meeting, the man I met was not him. Being the polite type, I shook his hand (limp wrist), greeted him in what should have been his native tongue (all I received was a wan smile, an insult in that culture) and asked genuinely whether he meant the character in the book to be an allegory for what humanity can achieve. He told me it was all true and about his life.
It is undoubtedly fiction, when all he had to do was tell truth, he is already a convicted fraudster and I see more danger than good in his writings. For Christian readers, I would like to point out that although I do not share your faith, I acknowledge readily that there would appear to be substantially more evidence to corroborate actions of unimportant people 2000 years ago (unimportant in their time!) than there is to back up a single thing that Mr Anthony claims to have done in just the last few years.
99 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2010
Terrible read and mostly fiction.From the kung fu training to the blind swedish girl.i think tony anthony needs long term therapy.Kill bill it aint!.
on 20 October 2009
After ploughing through this pile of pulp, I could not decide whether Mr Anthony is a complete fantasist or just a compulsive (and very bad) liar who could not even be bothered to check his facts first.

Fiction from beginning to end, this book is not even well written (Angela Little should be ashamed of herself). One of the most telling things for me was that Anthony repeatedly gets the initials of the International Kung-Fu Federation (I.K.F) wrong, despite supposedly having worked for them for some years.

White tigers (a subspecies of the Bengal tiger) have never been known outside India and have not been seen in the wild since 1958.

Every time you think the stories cannot get any taller, they do.

Personally, I believed the book was true until I reached the part about the Kumite. Having watched Bloodsport in the early '90s I thought 'hang on...' The illusion was blown completely and I began to delve into the details.

In summary, unless you are a lover of 'so bad it's good' books, avoid like the plague.
on 28 November 2006
This real life tale is a deeply moving story of a Kung Fu World Champion. With a fascinating view into the dark side of China's martial arts.

Read how a four-year-old child was taken away from his home and trained and transfered into a killer

Tony becomes an elite bodyguard, protecting some of the world's most powerful people but his heart is stone.

After personal heartache, Tony begins to use his deadly skills for illegal gain and personal kicks. All this lands him in prison and he is totally alone except for the visits of a stranger..but this is no ordinary visitor and he does not give up on Tony.

God has something to say to Tony and this stranger is His messenger.

A complex and fascinating testimony and I only hope this book is widely read and used as an inspiration...

A Wonderfilled book!
on 8 December 2008
I wanted to believe this story, I really, genuinely did. 8 years ago, when I first read TtT, I devoured it and gave copies to many of my friends. Back then it seemed so amazing - I described it as "like a James Bond film" in my original Amazon review. But over the course of time, I began to wonder if all the details could really be true, so I started to search around on the internet. I found a whole bunch of very sceptical people who pointed out all kinds of inconsistencies. Then I found some Christians who had similar doubts. Between us we have uncovered hard facts (birth, marriage, death certificates) that prove beyond doubt that TA's story is fabricated. I have asked TA for something - anything - to prove his story, but his complete inability to produce any hard evidence to back it up seals the deal.

Here's one site with a bunch of things to make you think long and hard about TA's story:
[...]

Please, for the sake of gospel integrity, avoid.
on 6 October 2009
I don't quite know where to start with this,his Lawrence of Arabia like trek across the Sahara with little or no water,his taming of wild tigers,his sub 70' Chop Sockey antics,his gangsteresque shenanigans are all equally laughable,what is serious is his attempt to minister to needy and sincere people of the back of these blatant lies that is unforgivable....