5.0 out of 5 stars Great new edition from Orbit
Published 6 months ago by R. HARRIES

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, buuuut... Kindle?
Published on 1 Dec. 2010 by Jamie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new edition from Orbit, 1 Oct. 2014
R. HARRIES (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review won't be about the actual story of the book itself. 'The Eye of the World' (and, by extension, The Wheel of Time saga) has been written about by people copiously over the last 24 years, and all you need to know is that, in picking this book up, you're taking the first step into one of the most richly detailed, awe-inspiring worlds that fiction has ever known.

The last UK editions of the WoT from Orbit had great covers, but I've never been a fan of the smaller A-format mass-market format, which makes colossal books such as this, with its copious page count and minute font size, a royal pain to read (they also often feel quite cheap too with regards to paper quality). These new editions, however, are the larger B-format size, which makes reading a much more pleasant experience on both the hands and eyes. The new covers are also growing on me, and have a nice matte finish.

All in all, a superb price for one of the genre's masterworks. Unavoidable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't disappointed..., 9 Jun. 2013
S. Cole "Jamdog" (Halesowen, England) - See all my reviews
Over the years, I've had many online discussions regarding my favourite books, and almost every time Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series has been mentioned by someone as their all-time favourite, or as a must-read series. Being a fan of fantasy and sci-fi fiction, I've always meant to get round to reading it at some point, but there always seems to have been other books higher up my to-read list.

Finally, I found myself in a situation where I'd read every book I owned, and was halfway through my last book - time to open Amazon and browse through my Wish List. The Eye of the World has been sitting in there for a while, and was a great price, so I decided to take the plunge into a new epic series - and I'm glad that I did.

The story is a classic among fantasy novels - poor farmer's son is destined to save the world, and a powerful magician drags him and a couple of friends on an epic journey. It worked well in Lord of the Rings, and in Terry Brookes' Shannara series, and although this gives the story a familiar feel, it is done in a way that keeps the reader enthralled from the start, right through to the last page. By the time I was a third of the way through book 1, I had already ordered books 2 and 3, and the 'prequel'.

Of course, the entire series is huge, but I am now halfway through the second book, and don't plan to stop until I've read all 15 books. If you like Tolkein or Brookes, then you'll love this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh no, another addiction...., 24 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
Wow. I read this book six months ago and can still tell you exactly what happened, but I won't, because I want everybody to read the books. The wheel of time is surely THE MOST addictive series of books ever. I read Eye of the World in five days and went straight out to buy the next one, and straight out to buy the one after that, and so on. Yes, it's a little slow to start, but the minute Winternight gets going you can't stop. Ever.
Sub-plots galore, love and hate relationships, twists and subtle hints as to what the horrifying ending is all make this book possibly the beginning of the best series I will ever read. People say the later books are more boring and too long, but THIS IS NOT TRUE. Robert Jordan has an amazing talent for story-telling, and I recommend him to everybody.
I must also say that his characters are perfectly developed so that you know precisely who they are and what they would feel and think. By book 9 you will know and love our main characters, and don't start book 1 without thinking you won't finish, because you will be hooked. Enjoy, everybody, you will not find better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, buuuut... Kindle?, 1 Dec. 2010
I am a long time Jordan-ophile, I started it in the middle of high school, and have loved it since (I'm now a 3rd year uni student); it gets better with every read through, as there are just layers and layers to this, I've introduced this series to many people, and the vast majority are grateful for it. I made the jump to Amazon Kindle, and thought that my first book should be the first WoT book, as my copy fell apart from being read too much. Sadly it appears that every page has been photographed, and run through a text recognition program, and converted to Kindle. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect process, as words which are shaped alike can be confused, e.g. "stones" and "stories", meaning that you are sometimes left wondering what the hell its trying to say, and why noone at Amazon proof read the book. This therefore slows the flow of the book, which is sad, as you can really just sink into it. Other than that, would heartily recommend. Heres to hopimg the rest of Kindle isnt like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to the series!, 18 Dec. 2002
This book (and the whole series) was recommended to me by a friend at work, following a discussion about how good Lord of the Rings was - he said that Robert Jordan's series was better than Tolkien, so I decided to find out for myself.
I loved this book!!
So much so that before I was even halfway through Eye of the World I had already ordered books 2-9, so that I can get up to date with the events in the series. I'm not going to say whether or not it's better/worse than Lord of the Rings in my opinion, because I don't want to think about that - both are fantastic works of fiction, and I enjoyed them both so much that I don't want to demean one by classing it as inferior to the other.
The storyline of EotW is a new version of the classic 'Quest' storyline, covering the journey of a group of friends, and focusing on one in particular who is destined to be something very special (although saying that, the supporting cast is great, particularly the Warder; Lan, the blacksmith's apprentice; Perrin, and Thom the gleeman).
What makes this unique (in my eyes) is the characterisation and pure readability of the book. Considering this book introduces an entirely new world with background and people, it's very easy to read (perhaps more so than LotR was the first time).
Looking at the series as a whole is quite daunting really (thousands of pages), but if every volume is as enjoyable as this was, I'll get many weeks of pleasure going through them.
If you like to read epic stories that you can really get into, I definitely recommend this. Chance are you'll get as hooked as I've become!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's great.......but...., 3 Jun. 2011
This is a really good book. The story is interesting and plods along well and the character build up is really good. The author creates a fascinating world of adventure. The story does reak strongly of the Tolkien books but the story detratcs enough in so many different directions that it doesn't really matter. For me personally, the one thing that spoiled it was when the main character "channels magic" to get out of a sticky situation. The story was more believeable until that point. However, this ability is the basis for the entire story so I had to get to grips with it. I still enjoyed this book very much and also books 2, 3 and 4 and then it all just seemed to dwindle into oblivion. Once you get into the series it seems that the author just meanders on with his narative. For instance, one of the characters asks a question and the author then goes off into the characters mind and past thoughts and past instances. "What's wrong with that?" I hear you say....nothing, unless it goes on and on for about 3 pages. By the time the question is answered you forget that one has even been asked. In fact, the more you read, you forget why you are there at all. It feels like the author is trying his best to drag the story out to the point of death.... and it's a shame because it started off so well. After another 3 books like this I decided to stop reading the rest of the series. I just didn't care anymore what happerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of the series, 16 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
Arguably the best (I certainly think so) of Robert Jordan's novels. This is why we all appreciate Jordan's writing. It is undoubtedly one of the best novel since J.R. Tolkein and far outstrips and out paces all other contemporary fantasy novelist. Eye Of The World is what made us jump (more like grabbed and pulled in) headlong into a world that seems so real that we can picture the world in our imagination in detail, really few authors can simulate this kind of realism.It has all the perfect magical ingredients a fantasy book needs to make it successfull and thoroughly engaging. It has the traditional fantasy plot, good Vs evil, light and dark. It may not be unique but Jordan expands on this,and adds his own touch and detail to it. But the main thing (and what sets Jordan apart) is the sense of epic ness, the grand adventure it inspires to his readers.The depth and realism of the characters are outstanding. Each character is written in precise detail and Jordan adds a bit of mystery into them (a ploy which Jordan intelligently uses to keep us absorbed, wondering what the character will reveal next).The pace and action is all there ( EoTW has more action than the last two novel, PoD and WH combined). From the start to finish it is all action and adventure with the perfect amount of intrigue, magic and unsolved mystery to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book 1 is great, but a warning from there!, 26 Nov. 2012
I thought that book 1 of the Wheel of Time series, The Eye of the World, was excellent, and I quickly picked up and read books 2 and 3. However, half way through book 4, I feel I must relate my experiences to new readers or those considering delving into this lengthy series of books.

As early as book 1, I experienced some minor irritations with characters, the way they were written and the way they acted. They were, though, only minor irritations, easily ignored because of the great story. By book 4, these irritations had become huge, and were seriously impeding my enjoyment of the story. I did a quick Amazon check on the reviews of book 5, only to find that readers were beginning to seriously mark the series down due to these specific annoyances.

In particular, Nynaeve's constant braid tugging, all the women's anger and annoyances with the men around them and the men's confusion over women in general, Mat's dialogue always starting with "Light" or "Burn me" and, a personally irritating one for me, Loial's grin always "splitting his face in two".

The above paragraph may seem very petty if you're just diving into book one, but these are huge books, and when key characters haven't evolved beyond these shallow characterisations when you're practically 4,000 pages into the story, then you might start to see why it can become an issue.

I truly wish I could read beyond these issues, as I'd love to see how the actual story progresses and finishes. I genuinely intended to read all the books in the series, and was really looking forward to a good, long fantasy series that I could stay with for a long time. Unfortunately, this has turned out not to be the one for me.

My recommendation: give book 1 a try, but proceed cautiously from there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Fantasy Classic, 28 May 2002
By A Customer
Serious fantasy authors tend to be like buses. You wait 35 years for someone to replicate the quality and appeal of Lord of the Rings and three of them turn up at once: Tad Williams with his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy, George R.R. Martin with his Song of Ice and Fire sextet and Jordan with his Wheel of Time, er, dodechology (or whatever you call a series with at least 12 volumes). The Eye of the World gets the ball rolling in style, with Jordan aware that some fantasy conventions are just too ingrained to ignore but also knowing when to move into non-cliched areas. Yes, the opening in the Two Rivers is basically the Shire with humans, but this was deliberate and it works, more or less. Like Tolkien, Jordan only lets you know what is important at the time and then keeps up the drip-feeding of important background info as the book progresses, meaning you are never swamped with data. The story itself is a rather traditional tale of heroes on the run, but then regrouping at the end for a final confrontation with the bad guys, and this works well, with all of the characters getting moments in the limelight. Description is extremely strong: Martin may have surpassed Jordan in terms of character motive and ruthlessness in killing off characters, but Jordan remains unmatched for his descriptive powers of locations, buildings, towns etc. It isn't at the level of Tolkien or Ian Irving's recent View from the Mirror series, but it's strong nevertheless. The ending is a bit confusing (is that the Creator talking to Rand at the end? Or not? What the hell is going on there anyway?) the first time you read it, but later volumes do a good job of explaining these events. Eye of the World even rewards re-reading at a later date: Rand's later rise to power is foreshadowed by Min's viewing of him in Baerlon, with references to a crystal sword (a reference to Book 3) and a laurel crown (a reference to Book 7). Some people think that EOTW is too heavily cliched and formulaic and although I disagree, I can see why they might think that. The book has a familiar, welcome feel to it that draws in fantasy fans easily into a new world before delivering the surprise blows in later books that alter the way you think of heroic fantasy. No, EOTW isn't better than Lord of the Rings, but it paves the way for the several later books in the series which are.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to a series., 14 May 2003
I'm not going to make any comments on the series as a whole for this review, for the very simple fact that I haven't read it yet.
Impatience at continued waiting for the next instalment of the frankly superb Song of Ice & Fire series by George RR Martin meant that I needed another high quality fantasy epic to keep me going. I'd heard a lot of good things about Jordan's long running series, even some people claiming it was superior to a Song of Ice & Fire, so it seemed the logical choice. And after reading The Eye of the World, it definitely appears to be the right choice, too.
Like many first volumes, The Eye of the World takes a little bit of time to get going. We are introduced to Rand al'Thor and various other characters who seem destined to play a major role in the whole series, and when events get going after the Winternight sequence, the story starts to get hold of you very effectively, pulling you in deeper until you are desperate to find out what happens next for each character.
Jordan writes well, and effectively manages to follow several parallel story threads without harming the experience (splitting up the main group of characters is a difficult challenge for an author to overcome, but Jordan achieves success). He has obviously taken a long term view of the story from the very start, and this allows him to take a more considered approach to events rather than rushing through and leaving too many loose ends.
There are definitely a few flaws, however. Some of the names are rather cliched - the most annoying to me being the references to Artur Pendraeg. If you are going to semi plagiarise character names from other fantasy books, it might be better to avoid such obvious ones as King Arthur. Another point which might have been improved is the portrayal of the three main characters in terms of their importance. On one level it seems as if Jordan is trying to keep the roles of Matt, Perrin and Rand, and their relationship to Ba'alzamon, secret. But on the other hand he completely telegraphs the fact that Rand is going to be the primary character. I'd have preferred a little more suspense in this before matters became clearer.
Thankfully those faults are easily forgiven, though. Better to pay attention to the qualities of Rand's struggle to come to terms with his doubts and questions about his past, or Perrin's difficulties in accepting his own destiny. I also particularly like the way in which you, as the reader, feel that you are learning about the world in tandem with Rand, Perrin and Matt. They know little about the world beyond Two Rivers, and their surprise, awe, or fear can be experienced as you read.
All fantasy writing is, to some extent, derivative. Most fantasy literature, particularly of the epic style, revolves around a battle between good and evil, and features magic in varying forms. Jordan's work is no different, but it does carry it off with a certain style. It is, in my opinion, not nearly a match for A Song of Ice and Fire, or The Lord of the Rings, but Eye of the World is an excellent start to the series and I'll be following the rest of the books with interest.