4.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Japanese
Published on 30 Jan 2009 by Spider Monkey

3.0 out of 5 stars My daughter says
I bought this because my daughter wanted to learn a few Japanese phrases.
Now she replies to my questions in Japanese. Most irritating. Works, even though she was not too hot with European languages.

Caje
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by caje

4.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Japanese, 30 Jan 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
`Earworms Rapid Japanese' is a new way of learning a language based on linking words and phrases to music. The album has a variety of tracks that take you through various situations and gives you the words you may need. These words are almost sung along with catchy tunes in the background, I say almost as they are spoken but in time with the music to assist your memory. On this disc a man speaks the English and a native Japanese lady speaks the Japanese. Both speak very clearly and are in no way cheesy or patronising. What is also good is that at times the man may ask questions to clarify a point or pronunciation and they lady will respond. The topics covered in Volume 1 (meant to cover brief visits, whereas Volume 2 covers more in-depth knowledge) are `I would like...', `To Order', Have You Got...?', To The Airport', Numbers, days and time', `Is There?', `Directions', `Where, how many and what time?', `Problems' and `Do You Understand English?'. Basically what you'd need on your first holiday to Japan. The music is OK to listen to and not excessively cheesy or boring. It gets a bit repetitive at times, but this is kind of the point as it's meant to be almost like a jingle that hooks the phrases in your brain. There are various music styles with folky guitar, Celtic styles, drum (almost dance) style and more. There is also a complimentary website that adds ideas to help with learning and retention. There is information in the booklet on how the idea of earworms works, as well as the phrases used so you can read along if you wish. I found this system of language learning easy to use and I retained a great deal of the words used. You do need to repeat the listening, but with the music this isn't too arduous and you can easily have this on in the background and still pick bits up. Coupled with a good phrasebook this should stand you in good stead for any visits to Japan you may have planned. Worth a try if other language courses haven't worked or inspired you.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars earworms japanese vol 1, 7 Aug 2010
S. oldland - See all my reviews
I bought this as a present for a relative who wants to learn Japanese 1 month ago and she has already completed it and is purchasing vol 2 so it must be an excellent learning method.

5.0 out of 5 stars effective and stress-free, 31 May 2011
Ms. C. Knight "Cazzy" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this cd after a visit to Japan because I loved the country and wanted to visit again. I've played this cd in the car three times and already feel confident I could order at a bar or in a restaurant and get the train or a taxi back to my hotel. I can count, tell the time (and could probably do directions if that didn't coincide with the bit of my journey when I really have to concentrate on my driving!). I've just ordered the second cd in this series. This is stress-free and I find myself relaxed enough about it to babble to myself in Japanese (when noone is watching). This is a great way to get confidence speaking a language when you are just starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to learn to speak a new language, 1 Jun 2011
JAWS (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I first encountered this on a plane as they had this on their Audio Visual On Demand system - and I listened to the first 5 minutes - thought it was good - and then slept for the rest of the flight so didn't get a chance to continue. Bought it when I got back, put it on my iPod and listened to it on my daily commute for about a week. This was invaluable when I was in Tokyo the following week - and helped in a few situations where English was not spoken by the people I was around.
The method of learning is inspired and I will be buying the French version for my children to listen to in the car.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice ideas that work well - just change the music next time please!, 1 Oct 2014
Some nice ideas are presented in this package and it allows learning to be done in the car or at home in an audio based fashion if that it is something that you prefer.

The way words and phrases are delivered is quite catchy and you'll soon be picking up the language!

Depending on your tastes, you may find the music a little off-putting, but each to their own with this!

Recommended for a different way to learn

5.0 out of 5 stars It delivers!, 24 Oct 2014
Can you fall in love with a voice? These clearly enunciated English and Japanese voices (especially the male voice speaking English) express such likeable gentle characters... Especially when he says "safe journey.. take care"! The earworms concept is great and really delivers. I now chant "kohi wo kudasai" effortlessly and I even know what it means.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dormo arigato... great way to learn, 5 Mar 2014
I bought this Japanese course to help me pick up a few phrases prior to travelling to Japan, it was great... earworms have come up trumps again, as usual, they first introduce the phrase 'I would like' and then repeat it in Japanese, before breaking it down in to it's component parts. I have bought a number of these foreign language courses from Earworms or Berlitz and have found them very entertaining, makes language learning fun... Arigato gozamasu Earworms. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good practice tool, 27 July 2013
This is a very effective learning tool for languages. The method is great, the sound quality is crisp and clear and the repetition works well. I would give it 5 stars except the very thing that makes it effective, the repetition, is what made my son leave it alone after a while as it got on his nerves.
If you need it for school or a trip, definitely buy it as you can focus and learn key phrases quickly. If you want it to replace a Japanese course, it's not so good. Much better as a support or intensive boost.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 July 2014
the music IS great.

3.0 out of 5 stars My daughter says, 18 Nov 2010
I bought this because my daughter wanted to learn a few Japanese phrases.

Caje