Format: Audio DownloadChange

`Earworms Rapid Japanese' is a new way of learning a language based on linking words and phrases to music. The album has a variety of tracks that take you through various situations and gives you the words you may need. These words are almost sung along with catchy tunes in the background, I say almost as they are spoken but in time with the music to assist your memory. On this disc a man speaks the English and a native Japanese lady speaks the Japanese. Both speak very clearly and are in no way cheesy or patronising. What is also good is that at times the man may ask questions to clarify a point or pronunciation and they lady will respond. The topics covered in Volume 1 (meant to cover brief visits, whereas Volume 2 covers more in-depth knowledge) are `I would like...', `To Order', Have You Got...?', To The Airport', Numbers, days and time', `Is There?', `Directions', `Where, how many and what time?', `Problems' and `Do You Understand English?'. Basically what you'd need on your first holiday to Japan. The music is OK to listen to and not excessively cheesy or boring. It gets a bit repetitive at times, but this is kind of the point as it's meant to be almost like a jingle that hooks the phrases in your brain. There are various music styles with folky guitar, Celtic styles, drum (almost dance) style and more. There is also a complimentary website that adds ideas to help with learning and retention. There is information in the booklet on how the idea of earworms works, as well as the phrases used so you can read along if you wish. I found this system of language learning easy to use and I retained a great deal of the words used. You do need to repeat the listening, but with the music this isn't too arduous and you can easily have this on in the background and still pick bits up. Coupled with a good phrasebook this should stand you in good stead for any visits to Japan you may have planned. Worth a try if other language courses haven't worked or inspired you.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 7 August 2010
I bought this as a present for a relative who wants to learn Japanese 1 month ago and she has already completed it and is purchasing vol 2 so it must be an excellent learning method.
on 31 May 2011
I bought this cd after a visit to Japan because I loved the country and wanted to visit again. I've played this cd in the car three times and already feel confident I could order at a bar or in a restaurant and get the train or a taxi back to my hotel. I can count, tell the time (and could probably do directions if that didn't coincide with the bit of my journey when I really have to concentrate on my driving!). I've just ordered the second cd in this series. This is stress-free and I find myself relaxed enough about it to babble to myself in Japanese (when noone is watching). This is a great way to get confidence speaking a language when you are just starting out.
on 18 June 2015
Handy for picking up a few key phrases on your commute although some of the suggested memory hooks are a little obscure (when was the last time anyone used the word "yonder"?). Also the male speaker could enunciate some words a little better as occasionally the word "kudasai" (please) [give me]) sounds more like "kurasai" (not a word).
on 1 June 2011
I first encountered this on a plane as they had this on their Audio Visual On Demand system - and I listened to the first 5 minutes - thought it was good - and then slept for the rest of the flight so didn't get a chance to continue. Bought it when I got back, put it on my iPod and listened to it on my daily commute for about a week. This was invaluable when I was in Tokyo the following week - and helped in a few situations where English was not spoken by the people I was around.
The method of learning is inspired and I will be buying the French version for my children to listen to in the car.
on 18 January 2015
Bought this to pick up a few phrases for a trip later this year.
The format makes for easy listening and learning - there is some background music and phrases are repeated by two people - one Japanese and one who, like you, is learning Japanese.

Found by listening over and over the phrases started to sink in - although some times a Japanese phrase pops into my head, but I don't know what it means!

Have already bought volume 2 and would use this brand again to learn another language.
on 5 March 2014
I bought this Japanese course to help me pick up a few phrases prior to travelling to Japan, it was great... earworms have come up trumps again, as usual, they first introduce the phrase 'I would like' and then repeat it in Japanese, before breaking it down in to it's component parts. I have bought a number of these foreign language courses from Earworms or Berlitz and have found them very entertaining, makes language learning fun... Arigato gozamasu Earworms. :)
on 1 October 2014
Some nice ideas are presented in this package and it allows learning to be done in the car or at home in an audio based fashion if that it is something that you prefer.

The way words and phrases are delivered is quite catchy and you'll soon be picking up the language!

Depending on your tastes, you may find the music a little off-putting, but each to their own with this!

Recommended for a different way to learn
on 24 October 2014
Can you fall in love with a voice? These clearly enunciated English and Japanese voices (especially the male voice speaking English) express such likeable gentle characters... Especially when he says "safe journey.. take care"! The earworms concept is great and really delivers. I now chant "kohi wo kudasai" effortlessly and I even know what it means.
on 24 May 2015
Really great introduction to travel in Japan, it really helped on my trip.