5.0 out of 5 stars Just read the whole book in 24 hours - excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped
Published on 12 Jun. 2011 by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 12 Jun. 2011
Dr. Bojan Tunguz (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A few years ago I had read Everything's Eventual : 14 Dark Tales, a collection of 14 short stories by Stephen King. For years I had been a big fan of Stephen King's novels, and I had always enjoyed short stories as a genre. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Stephen King is not only able to write book-long narrative thrillers, but was equally if not more at home with the constraints that short story imposes on the writer. I saw that King's writing style is in its own right a very compelling tool that he deftly uses to keep readers interested in the story, even there is nothing supernatural or out of this world in the narrative. This sentiment had led me to look forward to The Best American Short Stories 2007 collection for which Stephen King was a guest editor. However, this collection of short stories proved to be a complete disaster - the stories were some of the most boring and unimaginative that I have ever read in the Best American series of books. It had shaken my impression of King as someone who can truly appreciate a well-crafted short story, but I still believed that it bore no relation to his own writing ability. So when I came across this new collection of his own short stories, I was very eager to give it a try. The first red flag came in the introduction. It turns out that King was inspired to write this collection by his experience as the editor of "Best American Short Stories" collection. As I read through the stories my misgivings got confirmed. The stories, by and large, turned out to be the worst of the two worlds: they had all of the discursive, aimless rambling of some of King's longer works, and none of the shocking potency of immediacy of a short story. The characters find themselves in a variety of supernatural and otherwise strange situations, but for the most part we are not sympathetic enough to their plight to care what happens to them in the end. There were a couple of stories that I genuinely enjoyed, but overall this has been a rather disappointing reading experience. I still believe that Stephen King is a great writer of suspenseful stories that reflect on some of our deepest fears and anxieties, but this collection of short stories doesn't do justice to his talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read the whole book in 24 hours - excellent, 16 Nov. 2008
L. Grace (Belfast, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Hardcover)
I might be biased as I am a Stephen King fanatic but these are his best short stories yet. If you enjoy his work you will love these. If you are new to Stephen King and not sure if you will like his stuff then I would recommend this set of short stories as an introduction. As King is getting older (he turned 60 this year) these stories have a running theme throughout of mortality and what kind of afterlife there could possibly be (In stories such as Willa, The New York Times at Special Bargain rates). He also has an uplifting story about September 11th - someone who survived who was meant to be in the twin towers and how he comes to terms with this. The Gingerbread Girl I think is the best story in the book - I couldn't put it down until I'd finished - a woman who has lost a child starts running and just runs away from all her problems only to find a bigger problem where her running comes in handy.
I don't want to give too much away but other themes are mid-life crisis (Stationary Bike), Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (N), a cat from hell (!) nuclear bombs, and a story involving a porta - loo.

If you are a SK fan you probably already bought this, if not buy it if you like short stories, buy it if you like weird and wacky and stories, uplifting stories and stories that cause you to question the world.

I got this book yesterday and just finished it as I couldn't put it down

3.0 out of 5 stars SK has done better in past, 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
This is not as good a collection as Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Skeleton Crew etc. Stephen King seems to borrow more and more from his past unpublished works. It is eminently readable but does not linger on the consciousness as his better works do.
Being a huge fan, I set the standards pretty high for him and so will mark it as a mediocre compared to his other masterpieces.

1.0 out of 5 stars Its like Mr "Big Bucks" King was clearing out his garage ..., 14 Oct. 2014
Neil Franklin "mcqueen" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Kindle Edition)
Don't bother with this book.... its dreadful......

Its like Mr "Big Bucks" King was clearing out his garage and found an old box of stuff he wrote when nobody gave a s*** about him and said " Hey, Tabby lets send this crap out to the publishers and get them to jazz it up in a fancy cover and make a s*** load more cash for us "
The stories are really slow and pointless and nowhere near the quality you would associate with this writer.

I personally think that since Mr King meeting with Mr Smiths minivan and was catapulted 14 feet through the air on Route 5, he as lost his writing magic.....

Avoid this dire "cash cow" sample of all things KING related, save you wonka and re-read his classics ......

4.0 out of 5 stars Eight Excellent Tales (Out Of A Butcher's Dozen), 28 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
As I've written elsewhere, the short story (or novella) is the perfect form for King, just enough room for readers to settle down and warm their hands on a good campfire tale.

After Sunset opens rather disappointingly with Willa. From the beginning, this story unfolds in an etherial and rather romantic manner which reminded me of the weaker offerings from The Twilight Zone. The atmosphere is too dreamlike and predictable to accumulate any real vitality, never mind tension or spookiness. I presume the effect was deliberate, and some people like this kind of thing, but it still didn't work for me. However, the collection contains eight other stories which are excellent, a few of which I would place amongst his very best. Graduation Afternoon is one of these, a startlingly convincing horror story, but without so much as a whisper of the supernatural or a single spatter of blood (plenty of sound and fury though). Others stories I liked were:
Harvey's Dream
Rest Stop
The New York Times At Special Bargain Rates
A Very Tight Space
Mute
I believe that each of the above is resonant for different reasons. Interestingly, two of the most powerful, Harvey's Dream and the one I mentioned, Graduation Afternoon, are also the most simple. There are images in these stories that will definitely stay with me. The revenge tale, A Very Tight Space is great black comedy, one of the best non-supernatural stories he's written, and with a pleasantly wicked ending. I also liked The Gingerbread Girl and The Things They Left Behind. Gingerbread was riveting, right up to the part when the killer returned. Then, for me, it lost steam, and the showdown seemed far too artful and protracted (and the unlucky guy who came to the rescue of the heroin is weirdly superfluous, like an actor who steps onto the wrong stage and is forgotten as soon as he makes his exit).

There are good things in the other stories too, but some of the ideas are far too familiar, and had had better outings in previous novels or stories. I had assumed there was a Lovecraftian dimension in N. though apparently it is based on an Arthur Machen story, The Great God Pan. I enjoyed it (and the novel way it made use of OCD) but it just rattled on a bit too long for my liking. Also it is VERY hard to make ghoulies from another, evil dimension really convincing, though Machen and his contemporary, Lovecraft, did sometimes manage this.

I enjoyed Stationary Bike till I realised where it was going. King has used that 'possessed artist' thing at least once before (the awful Duma Key). I thought the story better than that padded, overblown novel, but it still didn't quite get there. I would have liked less of the labored allegory (complete with metaphorical not-so-bad guys) and more strangeness; and the best kind of strangeness is both unexplained and very ordinary, obdurate really: not the fairytale wolves in Willa, but the beercan that appeared (in Stationary Bike) on a road that wasn't there, a road that was really just a mural in a guy's house. King is a great man for the telling detail, the loose thread that, if pulled, can unravel the partition dividing the everyday world from a waking nightmare. But sometimes it's far better not to yank that thread too hard; just a glimpse may be all we need.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dim lights, 5 Aug. 2010
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of King and short stories so I really wanted to like this. Unfortunately there were only a handful, about 4, I liked out of the 13 available. There was just too much cheese to really recommend this as a great short story collection. One story was about two ghosts who don't realise they're ghosts until the end, another was a bad pastiche of an Arthur Machen story, and another was about a possessed cat.

There were some good ones here though. "Mute" features a recently cuckholded travelling salesman who picks up a deaf mute hitchhiker one night. Realising the hitchhiker won't hear him, he tells him his tale of woe about his wife and an embezzlement scheme gone wrong. Then something terrible happens weeks later and he realises the hitchhiker might have been mute but wasn't deaf...

"Stationary Bike" is bizarre King, where an artist trying to lose weight via an exercise bike somehow taps into an alternate universe where his body cells are somehow maintained by a group of roadside workers who need the man to remain unhealthy in order to survive.

"Rest Stop" is about a crime writer who publishes under a pseudonym, stopping one night at a rest stop, overhears a couple arguing, hears the man begin beating the wife, and steps in, not realising the part his pseudonym's identity will take...

"A Very Tight Place" is about two bad neighbours, one of whom decides to trap the other inside a port-a-loo and leave him there to die. Will he escape and exact revenge?...

Some great stories then but too many average-to-lousy ones stop me from recommending this to non-King fans as a great story collection. If you're a King fan though you'll probably enjoy it. If you're a short story fan I recommend TC Boyle's recently published "Wild Child" and Helen Simpson's "In-Flight Entertainment" for top class writing and short stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK through the night, 13 Mar. 2011
Clipper 314 (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
Good set of short stories with some interesting ideas turned into tales for our delight!.. as a bonus he has included the inspiration for the stories.. either through events or his own views/thoughts on life. Good read and nothing that scares the pants off you so you're OK to pick it up at at 2 a.m.

5.0 out of 5 stars King at his best, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Kindle Edition)
As a "constant reader" of Stephen King books I was brought this book as a present when it first came out. I have to say that although I love SK books, sometimes I do very occasionally struggle to get into them, Under the Dome being a good example! I left Just after Sunset unread in the bookcase for a long time before finally settling down with it yesterday morning.

However, this one hooked me from the first story onwards and I sat on the sofa most of yesterday unwilling to put it down. I'm nearing the end of the last story now and will finish it off tonight. King at his best. An excellent read.

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of real stand-outs in an otherwise average collection, 1 Feb. 2011
Lauren Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Paperback)
I am a really big Stephen King fan, and will generally read any of his work that I can get my hands on. While I didn't dislike this collection of short stories, I personally found that there were one or two stand-outs (The Gingerbread Girl, The Things They Left Behind and N. were the ones I thought about most after reading them) amongst an otherwise unremarkable selection. Don't get me wrong - they're enjoyable enough with some real classic King moments to them. I personally just didn't get the urge to continue reading like I usually do with King's books, and at some points I even found it hard work to turn the pages (Stationary Bike comes to mind)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Title is possibly the best thing about the collection, 10 Dec. 2014
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just After Sunset (Kindle Edition)
Like most of King's recent work this collection is a bit hit and miss. Only one, maybe two of these tales would have made the cut for `Night Shift' or `Skeleton Crew'
1. Willa - Atmospheric tale of a group of people waiting at a railway station, and what happens when one man leaves the group to track down his girlfriend who has wandered off. Once the big secret is revealed however, the story runs out of steam. I bought the collection on the strength of this story to find out what happens, but actually nothing much interesting happens after the end of the Kindle sample. A story with nowhere to go that goes nowhere. Score 3.5
2. The Gingerbread Girl - what on earth happened here? Starts out well as tale of a woman who copes with her grief by running, then loses it completely by a total out of the blue plot development. Feels as if King handed this story to a teenage fan of slasher movies to finish. And the chair scene was done better in Koontz's `Intensity'. Compelling but weird! Score 3.5
3. Harvey's Dream - Overwritten and pointless. 1.5
4. Rest Stop - This has some potential but really doesn't deliver an ending worthy of Steve King. 3
5. Stationary Bike - Interesting but truly weird and not in a good way. I can accept ghosts/zombies/vampires etc but a man menaced by a figment of his own imagination? Self indulgent and ultimately fizzles out to a disappointing ending. Stationary Bike would actually be quite a good title for the book as it sums up most of the stories - all that furious peddling and going absolutely nowhere. 3.5
6. The things they left behind. Not sure about this story which is narrated by a survivor of 9/11. With so many real life survivors this really isn't King's story to tell and ultimately it's a weak story which goes nowhere. 2
7. Graduation afternoon. Seriously? If this were the opening chapter of a new King novel it would be awesome, as a short story it's kind of weird. A half-baked idea which should never have made the final cut. 1.5
8. N. The only story I really rated in the collection. King claims it was influenced by Machen's `The Great God Pan' but I can see Lovecraftian influences as well. Seriously good. 5
9. The Cat from Hell. I rather liked this one as well but the ending wasn't a surprise as surely this one done as a film script in the 90s? Can't remember the name ... 4
10. The New York Times etc. Ok quite an interesting idea but kind of fizzles out in the end. Feels more like a fragment that a completed story - 3
11. A very tight place. King's scatological obsession comes to the fore with this one - it's quite revolting (most of it takes place in an portaloo). Couldn't finish it as it was making me feel sick. - 2
12. Mute - Feels more like a `strange but true' story you might read on facebook. Just ok for me. 3
13. Ayana - if this was a true story of healing it would be interesting as fiction it doesn't really cut it. 3
Overall score - 3.