5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true
This review is for the unabridged CD read by the author. This is always going to be a love it or hate it series of views. If you really don't like Dee and his style of grumpy reflection then this is going to do nothing to change your mind.
Published on 29 Oct. 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars "Dull as ditchwater"
I bought this book in the kindle version with high expectations based on the 25- five star reviews singing Dee's praises. I have, however to totally disagree with many of the previous reviewers. This is without doubt one of the dullest books I have ever read. The challenge was to see it through to the end to see if the book would pick up - sadly it did not.

As...
Published on 30 Jan. 2011 by Psychology Student

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true, 29 Oct. 2009
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
If however you are someone born in the 60's who has grown fed up with the worrying and frankly downright annoying mess we call life then step right up your ride is here.
Dee delivers an endless tirade on everything from the tedium of sport to the modern man and his ladylike pampering to his own childhood fantasies. In truth he tells very little of his own personal history as he always ends up wandering off on a tangent about some subject or other that gets his goat. Thats not to say he has no personal stories worth sharing. There are some great personal tales, such as the cringe worthy assault launched on an innocent hotel toilet or his hapless one and only attempt at employing a personal trainer, but he is really using this as a chance to rage against the world and life in general.
The endless tirade would soon descend into dull and repetitive were it not for his potty imagination, the fact that so much of what he says is just so true and that he has a disarming ability for honesty that shows him warts and all but makes this all the better for it.
The different stories move along at enough of a pace to keep you interested but linger long enough to give some insight and depth.
This was never going to be the in-depth self analysis of Clive James autobiographies or the show biz revelations that are so popular nowadays. This does however have a certain charm and as the chapters go by it becomes very easy to settle in to this and go for 'just one more chapter'.
Dee's voice is fairly flat and of one tone but this works well with the content and his voice is clear and easy to follow. It's also great to have the olympian standard grump reading his own musings and rants.
This is a well judged release that works very well for Jack Dee's many fans and has much to laugh at, agree with and just simply enjoy.
The CD packaging itself is a bit spartan with all 7 CD's stacked upon one another on a single spindle. This style of storage will doubtless mean their scratching one another in time. There is also no booklet and the vinyl case is a little flimsy. This though has to be balanced against the fact that it is well recorded and you get an unabridged seven and a half hour audio book at about the same price of a two disc abridged release.
All in all the packaging can be lived with and the book itself, which is what really matters, is well worth a listen and is likely to be returned to again. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, surprising and funny, 14 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
I wasn't really sure what to expect. I love Jack's observational humor, but the book? I chose the audiobook over the paperback wondering who would better deliver the story than the master of stand-up himself? And it sure was the right choice. If you looking just for more Jack's humor - forget it. If you are interested how it all happened, what shaped him... Get ready for a surprise. A big one too. It's just excellent. And the worst bit for me - I want more! Can't see that happening though, since it would mean he'd have to have another life to cover. Too bad. Anyway, it was money well spent. Don't hesitate! Grab it as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different., 6 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
This is one autobiography that tries to be different, and it succeeds perfectly. Jack has shied away from the usual, "I was born, I went to school, this is what happened to Me." type of life story that so many famous people write and that usually make me lose interest after a couple of dozen pages or so. Sure, he does talk about that, but it is done in a way that makes you want to keep reading. Stories about his past are mixed with anecdotes of the modern day things and people who annoy him the most. There are some great laugh aloud moments and some stories you will want to read out to friends. Also the ending is not rushed and has been left open for an updated version or sequel, which I for one am looking forward to already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dee-lightful, 6 Jun. 2010
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I've read a great number of autobiographies written by various comedians because basically I'm always interested to learn what makes them tick. I'm therefore glad to report that Jack Dee's autobiography doesn't include unnecessary tedious detail about his childhood, basically he cherry picks the best bits and structures the book by recalling a series of anecdotes, some of which are more believable than others. Whilst reading I kept hearing Dee's voice and imagining him as his comedy alter ego in Lead Balloon, Rick Spleen, a character I'm sure isn't too removed from his non-showbizz persona.

Dee takes us through a myriad of temporary jobs which he drifted in and out of before deciding to plump for a career in stand up comedy. I particularly loved the chapter about his time as a dispatch driver and his boss's wooden leg, which I defy anyone not to laugh out loud whilst reading. Overall, it's a great book, a perfect length, poignant and very funny indeed. I can't wait until the second volume is published, which it undoubtedly will be in a few years...

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
Jack talks about his childhood his education and his many non-skilled jobs but somehow it feels like he has still managed to keep his private life out of the book.

On the surface this is the story of how he came to become a standup but in reality there are only a few chapters devoted to this and it is more about how unhappy he was with his career choices up until that point.

There are some very funny anecdotes and some parts made me laugh out loud. The first half of the book is funnier and felt more polished than the second.
I'm glad I read it, it was quite entertaining and I really like Jack Dee. I wish I could say it was fantastic but it wasn't.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Dull as ditchwater", 30 Jan. 2011

As Dee has worked in the entertainment industry for 20 odd years, one would assume he would have a plethora of interesting anecdotes to tell. Similarly as a comedian you would think he would expertly embellish the less interesting tales for comic effect and to amuse the reader.

This book is neither particularly biographical or funny but rather reams of mundane ramblings. If you are interested in stories such as the day Jack bought a special tool to unblock his toilet - which to his surprise worked, or the day he waited for a bus out in the countryside which never turned up - only to turn up later driving past him as he walked away from the bus stop then this book is for you. If however you are after something more substantive or comical it is best to look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Jack!, 29 Nov. 2009
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
I've been a big fan of Jack Dee's since back in the 90's when I saw one of his videos, I think it was my best friend that introduced me to him, and I just couldn't stop laughing, and watched most of his DVDs from then onwards. His dry humour, and his sarcasm always appealed to me, and his feelings on some subjects clicked with me. So when I saw his autobiography, I had to have a listen.

One thing I love about this is it is Jack reading it, so you get the best from it, he knows what he's written, and he knows what to emphasise and how to make it more "real" - if anyone else had done this narration I wouldn't have bothered, but it's Jack, and it's great, you get his sarcastic tone, and his dry jokes all the way through, though it's not a funny book all the way through, there are some really interesting morsels about his life. I didn't know a lot about Jack, so this was an eye opener.

This is 7CDs - 7hrs 48mins in total, and worth every moment, Jack annotates his life - and tells us some interesting insights into his education, work life, and his personal life, and his wife Jane. He also has a good go at stupid things he hates, which is so typical Jack, which I really enjoyed.

If you like Jack Dee, you should get this, it's an essential - and is probably the best biog I have seen in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive stories, 29 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I found this book to be extremely funny. The stories are very interesting and hilarious in a non-standard, frank and refreshing way. I couldn't put the book down. I suggest picking up a copy at a store and pick a story at random in the book and start reading it. You may find yourself unable to put it down and walk away from it without wanting to finish the rest of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - I'm hardly Jack's biggest fan, yet I quite enjoyed it, 26 Sept. 2011
I've never been Jack's biggest fan as a stand-up, on Big Brother which I never watched or Shooting Stars on which he does very little, so it was with suitably low expectations that I downloaded this sample along with anything else that a "comedy" search on Amazon threw up for the Kindle. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. As some of the other reviewers have pointed out, the topics covered are rather mundane and a bit miserable (what did you expect him to be like?!), but for all that, I found this book very readable, with a few laugh out loud moments, which is more than can be said for many comedians' memoirs.

P.S. My only gripe was that the pagination displayed as about 80% width on the Kindle, something I'm sure Jack had nothing to do with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
Just finished reading this and I was impressed with how funny it was - it's unusual for me to laugh out loud whilst reading but this really did make me laugh! Not only funny, but does actually give his life story as well, which is a bonus.