5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true
This review is for the unabridged CD read by the author. This is always going to be a love it or hate it series of views. If you really don't like Dee and his style of grumpy reflection then this is going to do nothing to change your mind.
Published on 29 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad read
A long drawn out read to get to the point where his life changed after being discovered. However quite enjoyable and infomative.
Published 10 months ago by cliff mccarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true, 29 Oct 2009
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
If however you are someone born in the 60's who has grown fed up with the worrying and frankly downright annoying mess we call life then step right up your ride is here.
Dee delivers an endless tirade on everything from the tedium of sport to the modern man and his ladylike pampering to his own childhood fantasies. In truth he tells very little of his own personal history as he always ends up wandering off on a tangent about some subject or other that gets his goat. Thats not to say he has no personal stories worth sharing. There are some great personal tales, such as the cringe worthy assault launched on an innocent hotel toilet or his hapless one and only attempt at employing a personal trainer, but he is really using this as a chance to rage against the world and life in general.
The endless tirade would soon descend into dull and repetitive were it not for his potty imagination, the fact that so much of what he says is just so true and that he has a disarming ability for honesty that shows him warts and all but makes this all the better for it.
The different stories move along at enough of a pace to keep you interested but linger long enough to give some insight and depth.
This was never going to be the in-depth self analysis of Clive James autobiographies or the show biz revelations that are so popular nowadays. This does however have a certain charm and as the chapters go by it becomes very easy to settle in to this and go for 'just one more chapter'.
Dee's voice is fairly flat and of one tone but this works well with the content and his voice is clear and easy to follow. It's also great to have the olympian standard grump reading his own musings and rants.
This is a well judged release that works very well for Jack Dee's many fans and has much to laugh at, agree with and just simply enjoy.
The CD packaging itself is a bit spartan with all 7 CD's stacked upon one another on a single spindle. This style of storage will doubtless mean their scratching one another in time. There is also no booklet and the vinyl case is a little flimsy. This though has to be balanced against the fact that it is well recorded and you get an unabridged seven and a half hour audio book at about the same price of a two disc abridged release.
All in all the packaging can be lived with and the book itself, which is what really matters, is well worth a listen and is likely to be returned to again. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, surprising and funny, 14 Nov 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
I wasn't really sure what to expect. I love Jack's observational humor, but the book? I chose the audiobook over the paperback wondering who would better deliver the story than the master of stand-up himself? And it sure was the right choice. If you looking just for more Jack's humor - forget it. If you are interested how it all happened, what shaped him... Get ready for a surprise. A big one too. It's just excellent. And the worst bit for me - I want more! Can't see that happening though, since it would mean he'd have to have another life to cover. Too bad. Anyway, it was money well spent. Don't hesitate! Grab it as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different., 6 Nov 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
This is one autobiography that tries to be different, and it succeeds perfectly. Jack has shied away from the usual, "I was born, I went to school, this is what happened to Me." type of life story that so many famous people write and that usually make me lose interest after a couple of dozen pages or so. Sure, he does talk about that, but it is done in a way that makes you want to keep reading. Stories about his past are mixed with anecdotes of the modern day things and people who annoy him the most. There are some great laugh aloud moments and some stories you will want to read out to friends. Also the ending is not rushed and has been left open for an updated version or sequel, which I for one am looking forward to already.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 23 Aug 2010
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Paperback)
Jack talks about his childhood his education and his many non-skilled jobs but somehow it feels like he has still managed to keep his private life out of the book.

On the surface this is the story of how he came to become a standup but in reality there are only a few chapters devoted to this and it is more about how unhappy he was with his career choices up until that point.

There are some very funny anecdotes and some parts made me laugh out loud. The first half of the book is funnier and felt more polished than the second.
I'm glad I read it, it was quite entertaining and I really like Jack Dee. I wish I could say it was fantastic but it wasn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dee-lightful, 6 Jun 2010
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I've read a great number of autobiographies written by various comedians because basically I'm always interested to learn what makes them tick. I'm therefore glad to report that Jack Dee's autobiography doesn't include unnecessary tedious detail about his childhood, basically he cherry picks the best bits and structures the book by recalling a series of anecdotes, some of which are more believable than others. Whilst reading I kept hearing Dee's voice and imagining him as his comedy alter ego in Lead Balloon, Rick Spleen, a character I'm sure isn't too removed from his non-showbizz persona.

Dee takes us through a myriad of temporary jobs which he drifted in and out of before deciding to plump for a career in stand up comedy. I particularly loved the chapter about his time as a dispatch driver and his boss's wooden leg, which I defy anyone not to laugh out loud whilst reading. Overall, it's a great book, a perfect length, poignant and very funny indeed. I can't wait until the second volume is published, which it undoubtedly will be in a few years...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Jack!, 29 Nov 2009
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Audio CD)
I've been a big fan of Jack Dee's since back in the 90's when I saw one of his videos, I think it was my best friend that introduced me to him, and I just couldn't stop laughing, and watched most of his DVDs from then onwards. His dry humour, and his sarcasm always appealed to me, and his feelings on some subjects clicked with me. So when I saw his autobiography, I had to have a listen.

One thing I love about this is it is Jack reading it, so you get the best from it, he knows what he's written, and he knows what to emphasise and how to make it more "real" - if anyone else had done this narration I wouldn't have bothered, but it's Jack, and it's great, you get his sarcastic tone, and his dry jokes all the way through, though it's not a funny book all the way through, there are some really interesting morsels about his life. I didn't know a lot about Jack, so this was an eye opener.

This is 7CDs - 7hrs 48mins in total, and worth every moment, Jack annotates his life - and tells us some interesting insights into his education, work life, and his personal life, and his wife Jane. He also has a good go at stupid things he hates, which is so typical Jack, which I really enjoyed.

If you like Jack Dee, you should get this, it's an essential - and is probably the best biog I have seen in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive stories, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
I found this book to be extremely funny. The stories are very interesting and hilarious in a non-standard, frank and refreshing way. I couldn't put the book down. I suggest picking up a copy at a store and pick a story at random in the book and start reading it. You may find yourself unable to put it down and walk away from it without wanting to finish the rest of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
Just finished reading this and I was impressed with how funny it was - it's unusual for me to laugh out loud whilst reading but this really did make me laugh! Not only funny, but does actually give his life story as well, which is a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to put a smile on your face, 3 Dec 2009
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
Nearly all comedians seem to bring out an autobiography these days, usually just in time for Christmas. There is nothing wrong with this, except they can get a bit samey. Most of them tell us about their schooldays during which they took part in a stage production that lit the flames that led them to their future career. Upon leaving school they will tell us that they struggled for a while until that lucky break came and put them on the road to fame and fortune. Whilst that is basically Jack Dee's story too he has written his autobiography in a style that is fresh & new, resulting in one of the best showbiz books that I have read for ages.

Jack Dee is the latest in the line of `miserable' comics (following on from such greats like Tony Hancock and Les Dawson) and it is in that grumpy style that he writes this book. Like his stand up routine he moans about everything and everybody. Plumbers, barbers, golf, football, twitterers, phone in radio shows, ink cartridges and printers all get the Dee treatment - and that is just scratching the surface - but in amongst the rants he weaves his life story.

This is an extremely entertaining book and some of the stories he relates are genuinely very funny. His anecdotes about his breakfast at Cliveden, his Australian house guests and his experiences has a motorcycle courier in particular tickled my funny bone. He also tells us that had things turned out a little differently he could now be a chef at the Ritz Hotel or even the Reverend Dee.

As this book ends when his stand-up career starts to take off (this is after he realises that people find his miserable persona to be funny) I hope that it means that he will be writing about what happened after that in the near future. I will definitely buy it if he does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpan, Dead funny, 14 Nov 2009
This review is from: Thanks For Nothing (Hardcover)
If you thought you knew everything to laugh about Jack Dee, then read this! More laugh-out-loud side splitting comedy moments then you could ever get at the Comedy Store without the drunken hecklers!