Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£15.74

on 18 December 2005
I really recommend this book. it is the second book in the unbeliveably fantastic Bromeliad trilogy. This book is probably suitable for readers aged 9 upwards, but adults will enjoy it too. The hero of this book Masklin (who is only 4 inches high)departs on a quest at the begining of the book with 2 other nomes. (Angalo and Gurder). Do not be confused if you cannot understand the ending of this book because by reading the 3rd, it will completely make sense of the ending.
This second book is about the nomes trying to find a new life in a quarry after fleeing in the first book from a Department store where they had lived under the floor boards. They are aliens from an advanced Planet but they don't know it.
In the quarry life is hard going because of lack of food and the annoyance of humans who they have to hide from.The heroine is Grimma who reads lots of books despite some of the nomes thinking girls brains overheat if they read a lot.
Some of the nomes who were born in the store have a strong belief in a God that was thought to have built the store (Arnold Bros est 1905).Others disagree and theres lots of arguments throughout the book.
This is a fantastic adventure book funny and witty and will make a great addition to your bookshelf.
You must read Truckers first though!

Stephen Cage age 11 . Harrogate.
on 20 March 2003
In Truckers, Masklin rescued the other nomes from the store before its demoliton. Then, he led them to a quarry, a place that they could call home. But now, Masklin realizes that the nomes can never really be at home in the human's world, so he sets off to find the airport, and the spaceship that brought the nomes to Earth some 15,000 years ago. But for the nomes left at the quarry, now led by Grimma, things go from bad to worse, and worse still. Where is Masklin, and who will save the nomes?
This book is as funny as the last one. The nomes are so very human, and yet so very different. Plus, the story kept you at the edge of your seat, right up to the surprise finale. What a wonderful book!
on 16 April 2016
Diggers is one of Pratchett’s non-Discworld books, but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t worth reading. It is, in fact, the second book in the Bromeliad trilogy, and it follows “thousands of tiny nomes when they move into the ruined buildings of an abandoned quarry.”

It might not be as instantly memorable as some of his other work, but it still deserves a spot on your bookshelf because of the strong characterisation and stunning story line, as well as for the trademark wit that Pratchett left peppered throughout his work.

For me, Diggers was the best book in the series, although you’ll probably want to start with Truckers and end with Wings, to read the trilogy in order. I failed to do that, because I just picked them up as and when I saw them, and this was actually the last book that I read. It doesn’t really matter, though – they work just as well as standalones, for me.
on 5 September 2013
I bought it to give to a youngster fixated on Harry and Hobbits. I hope he finds his horizons broadened. Great reading ... but read all three. And not as difficult to relate to as the disc world books. I think it is an important introduction to the worlds of Terry Pratchett.
on 6 May 2001
This the second book of the Bromeliad trilogy (following Truckers and followed by Wings).
After escaping from the doomed Store of Arnold Bros (est. 1905), the nomes find refuge in a disused quarry. And although life's harder Outside than it was in the Store, after a while everything goes well... until they find out that the quarry is going to be reopened.
At the same time, they also learn that Grandson Richard, 39, an heir to the Arnold Bros (est. 1905) fortune, is going to Florida to watch the launch of his first telecom satellite. To Masklin it's an oportunity to send the Thing back into space where it could contact the Ship which will bring them back HOME. And so he sets out, with Gurder and Angalo, on a trip to the airport.
And as the rest of the nomes are waiting for them to come back, their food reserves are inexorably running out and the humans' presence is starting to be a real nuisance. Are they going to flee and hide or are they going to stand up to them?
As expected, Diggers is brilliant and extremely funny. And again, the confrontation between the nomes' and our view of the world is the source of many of the typically "Pratchettian" puns we've all come to love!
on 14 October 2010
Love this book, I so wish Terry Pratchett was well enough to write more child friendly books. I have read the series Truckers, Diggers and Wings - as an adult aged 28 few years back. The details, description, characters and their views of the world are fantastic and very humorous on occasions. I enjoy Terry Pratchetts adult books too but if I am honest I can find those a little difficult however I can totally enjoy his writing technique through his younger versions such as The Carpet people etc... Get the series you won't regret it, escape from the norm.
on 28 December 2003
'Diggers' is a harmless and lovely book; great escapism from the world we know. Pratchett writes in a beautiful almost poetic style. An interesting concept about tiny nomes who were forced to move from a convenience store to an abandoned quarry, which the enormous slow humans soon come back to claim. Fortunately they have Jekub, Dorcas's big secret, whilst Masklin heads Florida to find Grandson, 39. Definitely worth buying even if you haven't read the first book of the trilogy 'Truckers'.
on 17 March 2016
A wonderful reflection on our society mastered into a great story. A delight for young and old. Filled with witty and thought provoking episodes.
I would recommend parents to read it with their children. It is a delightful way of teaching young children about the conflicts and developments in today's society and their root causes.
on 23 June 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I loved 'Truckers' and this was just as good. I thought the story was great and I didn't want to put it down. I thought that the characters were great fun, well written, interesting and larger than life. Terry Pratchett is a brilliant author and this a another great book an a fun series.
on 4 August 2010
I how I love double Nintendoes. All of Terry's "children's" stories are wasted on children but they still get enough out of them. I heartily recommend the entire series of these books to anyone one of any age.