5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by Mr. J. O. Llewellyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
I bought the Power of Now largely on the strength of the high ratings. There is nothing particularly new in the book, it seems to be a pick and mix of various world philosophies/religious beliefs, a dollop of psychology and what I presume are the author's own inventions. I have given what I consider a generous 3 stars because a large proportion of what he writes is...
Published on 13 April 2008 by Minnie Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, 14 Oct 2011
Just bought this book on Audio and listened to it whilst going for walks in the woods every day. I found it truly beautiful. No matter what you beliefs or how far along you are in your spiritual development this book can teach you things that will change your life. Most of us are aware of the importance of being "present", however after these teachings you may realise that it is the key to true happiness. This guidance (along with meditation) changed my life, relationships and energy. I recommend the audio especially if you can find the time to listen whist amongst nature. Eckharts chilled out voice really resonates and you will remember the truth you've always know deep down. Thank you for this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Stuff, 28 May 2014
This book made me experience such a deep level of peace that I had never before encountered (Except through a direct experience with God)
It teaches you to drop the mental and emotional baggage that you have carried all your life.
It teaches you that you are separate from that voice in your head that criticizes, feels sad, feels angry, questions you.. and through that separation you feel peace. It teaches you your truest self: a person of love, lightness and peace. It basically gives you a glimpse of paradise.

(I know this sounds really hippe-like and airy fairy but my life has been changed by this book (i bought the book then the audio tape after, I prefer reading, I'm going to be honest)

I got the book when I was deeply unhappy, unsatisfied with life and quite depressed. The book ended that for me. I also had really bad hayfever. When I read it, applied it to my life I felt this overwhelming feeling of freedom from past pain, I felt alive, I felt whole and my hayfever symptoms totally disappeared. (it was still the middle of summer and I was still living in the same place.
Anyway that is my personal experience. I strongly recommend this book for anyone who is grieving, feeling very sad, depressed, alone, frustrated, sick or just wants to experience peace and joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one book...make it this!, 11 Oct 2011
I bought this after it was mentioned in a review in psychologies magazine. It sounded like the answer to my prayers! Having lived for most my life under the harsh reign of my anxious, un-checked mind, this book promised to be a simple and powerful tool. I am happy to say that I have not been disappointed! This book is very easy to read and work with, and I have been pretty much anxious-free since I picked it up. I can't say it's easy, a life-time habit of thought pattern is hard to let go, especially when interacting with others. But with practise I can see the benefits will be priceless. To be mindful is the key to happiness, and although this has been taught since the beginning, it has become slightly accessorised with the tastes of various enlightened souls. Tolle's book is as simple and unfettered as it gets - it agrees with the essence of all our world religions but pulls back the heavy curtains to reveal the one truth that we all need to be. Once this has been accomplished everything else just falls into place!
Since I began reading this book my life has dramatically improved. I no longer require alcohol to socialise or relax, I see the beauty in everything and this gives me an endless supply of joy. My relationships are so calm and easy, my creativity has sky-rocketed and I feel relaxed and happy all the time. No sleepless nights or churning stomach. I will be buying this book for all my loved-ones because I want them to experience life like this too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential guide for detachment, 24 Jan 2012
I suppose the fact that the book has 283 reviews which give it over 4 stars on average speaks for itself, and my review is redundant here, but for what it's worth, I want to say that I really needed to read this book.

There is just so much trouble and so much pain that we go through just because we take ourselves too seriously, we listen to our ego and we forget to live the moment (which is ultimately all that we have), always fretting about the past and how we miss it or how we cannot change it, always fearing the future that never comes.

Whenever I feel low, I remind myself that I'm just feeding my "pain body" and that I'm giving it food for dark thoughts... So I just close my eyes and focus on what I feel gives me energy, as Tolle suggests, and I realize how out of touch I had been when I was sad.

I have this book as a Kindle book, and aside from the fact that the ideas in themselves are wonderful and they have changed my relationship with myself, I also want to say that the Kindle edition was great, easy to follow and user friendly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Help !, 18 April 2011
This book has been a great help with my anxiety and stress relief of oncoming exam pressure I would recommend it to anyone that is suffering the same and anyone in general it has opened up a part of me that I never realised i could control before !x

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the answer you have been looking for!, 23 Jan 2002
I have read many self-help books in my life, but not one has ever had the same impact on my life as the 'The Power of Now'.
Every word 'oozes' absolute truth and it can only have been inspired by the author first having had a life that made no sense. As a result, the author Eckhart Tolle had a total breakdown, but like a phoenix rising from the ashes and with more than a little help from The Buddha's teachings he analysed his life situation and
found that the basic problem was that his mind was 'all noise'from living in the past and thinking 'it will be alright in the future'. Recognise any similarities with yourself anybody?
Solution, get this book and start practicing with a conscious mind and living in the present moment.
Banish guilt, regret and grievences from your life. Learn to forgive and find peace. Recognise that the mind is basically all ego and that much of it is based on false characteristics, trying to be something that it is not, seeking power and influence that cannot be sustained. Where do you finish up? Often rejected by the world.
Living in the present moment does not mean withdrawing from modern society or even material possessions. What it does mean is living from a deeper perspective from within yourself, the 'inner being'and finding fulfilment well away from where you thought you would find it, somewhere on the outside.
The way Eckart Tolle describes the concept is not difficult to understand, but it will require consistent practice. Follow his clear directions and you will be able to experience relief immediately, even if only momentarily.
Buy this book, read it, re-read, practice its teachings and you will be on the road to a full, spiritually based (not religious), life that could only be dreamed of without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars required reading for anyone who questions life, 13 April 2014
C. St John (Sausalito CA USA) - See all my reviews
Yea I have read a lot of books in my 74 years, few satisfy, fewer yet are helpful to understand the mystery of life, why I am here, why it seems my manifestations do not correspond to what I wish I were, why it seems there is more suffering in life than is needed really??? And many questions with no name. But this book is a whole level different. It is useful, it clear, and if read carefully (read paragraph, pause and ask, is this true, now, for me? and let the question sink in and a true response appear) has an affect on my life that is apparent and perceptible to the sensation and feeling of myself. For me, it is required reading to live a human life, in the good sense of human. Read it, try it on, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best, most relevant book on the planet?, 5 Dec 2012
The clarity of writing, usefulness of the words, the wisdom, the insight, the practical guidance - I could go on and on. As Eckart points out the words are stepping stones - the real value of this book is realised when the words are used to guide experience of "being". Highly enlightening!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very recommendable, 25 May 2005
By A Customer
A very useful and illuminating read, which illustrates many sound ways to achieve a happier and more contented life, through question and answer based chapters and general discussion.
The present moment is often neglected in the hustle-bustle of everyday life, here Tolle presents clear, consise and engaging philosophies, using examples to back them up, on how to make the most of the present, to forgive, to let go, and not become bogged down in subconscious thought processes, inflated egocentricity, or past problems, or stressing constantly about the future.
There are a few minor issues: some of the more extreme suggestions, such as completely dissasociating with thought and emotion and the ego in order to fully identify with the Now, are not necessarily 'truths' but more debatable philosophy on which spiritualist opinion differs. Many could argue that a life devoid of analytical thinking, traditional feeling and emotion would be unrealistic, and may encourage complacency and blissful ignorance- also, there are many situations where an appreciation of past and future can be very helpful provided that they aren't latched onto in a destructive way.
I also thought that the first half of the book was much better than the second: a lot of the second half is repetition of the first, and brings in more in the way of debatable philosophy, as opposed to the excellent general advice offered throughout the first half.
In general though, a highly useful book that has certainly made positive changes to my life. I strongly recommend it to those who are unhappy with their lives, particularly those who frequently suffer from negative trains of thought, are regularly stressed and/or feel over-worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong potencial, 9 Jan 2012
Sadly when you are not ready this book will be just another mumbo jumbo for you. However if you are ready it will answer most of your questions and maybe even push you a little bit further to the truth. As the author says, the information is a mere signpost. The actual deciding and walking is on you alone.

Spoiler :)

Most of the suffering in this world is created by our own mind. Our ego, our false image of ourselves, we create to protect us and push us on the road. But it is also responsible for our suffering. It needs to be fed and protected. It creates needs ending in pride, lust, greed, sloth...you name it. 'Fear me or revere me, but please think I'm special'.
Ego lives out of past and/or future. So living in the Now seems to be the best cure. It is not about avoiding ego or suppressing it. It can't be done. It is just about not letting ego to drive you, to rule over you.

Once you stop being afraid you will be seen as an idiot and a coward, you start to be very honest with yourself.
Admitting on deep level with no one to blame, that you were a coward and/or arrogant fool is the strongest moment. You become authentic, person with integrity and you become more objective when dealing with world. The Now formula is only a tool to achieve this realization.

There is a danger though. E.T. mentions it but only briefly. He should stress it more. Ego can easily crawl back in...'I'm Enlightened, look at all these other people, they are so much stuck with their ego.' ;]

Once you see the truth and you are able to stop laughing at your own stupidity for all those years wasted in a dream, well, everything becomes new and pure. It is not eternal bliss. Just relieve, I guess. Inner peace. It can take you several years to master yourself to the point where you are more free than beaten up by your thoughts, fears and desires. But it is so much easier now...Now. Can you still be a valuable citizen, employee, employer, parent, soldier, Christian...? Very much so. 10 times better at least. Actually you won't see yourself as these 'images' anymore and it is so much better.