5.0 out of 5 stars A working class man reaches the dizzy heights of stardom
Written in a language that anyone can understand. Michael Caine dispels the untruths that have been written about him. He lays on the line his heart felt life story from his acting "debut" at the age of three right up to the the "discovery" of his half brother David. It will leave the reader laughing out loud and at times holding back the tears. His account spans an era...
Published on 5 Oct 2003 by Gerard Behan

3.0 out of 5 stars Came by snail mail
Book fine but came after it was required for a Father's Day present. I will have to keep it for a Xmas present now. It was supposed to be in stock and it was only after I'd finished with the order that it was shown as coming after it was required. Very disappointed as this is the first time this has happened on Amazon.
Published on 7 Aug 2011 by superpamuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: What's It All About? (Hardcover)
We bought this for my father-in-law for his birthday. He was over the moon to receive it and couldn't wait to start reading it.

In an email from the supplier, they stated that delivery could take up to 30 days (despite the Amazon details saying up to 19 days delivery).However we were delighted to find that the book was delivered well in time for my father-in-law's birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 30 Oct 2011
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this autobiography and agree with the other favourable reviews. I usually have difficulty completing long books but not this one, a great read from start to finish. Recommended to anyone who has seen and enjoyed any Michael Caine film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Came by snail mail, 7 Aug 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST MEMOIRS I'VE EVER READ, 31 July 2011
MONTGOMERY (WASHINGTON, DC - U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Ever since I saw Michael Caine in "THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING" and "THE EAGLE HAS LANDED" back in the 1970s, he has been one of my favorite actors. Now that I have finished this delightful and wonderful memoir (one of the best that I've ever read), I like him even more as a human being.

Born into poverty in London in 1933, Caine had a childhood ambition to be an actor. Up until he was almost 30, he struggled, largely unrecognized, to develop his talent. With the success of "ZULU", Caine became a star and further solidified his career in movies such as "THE IPCRESS FILE", "THE ITALIAN JOB", "GET CARTER", and "SLEUTH" (starring with Sir Lawrence Olivier).

Caine is a very engaging storyteller and this book is replete with his varied experiences of working on various movie sets around the world, making friendships with some of the most remarkable people in his profession (as well as the arts, royalty, and politics), and his love and devotion to his family and friends great and small.

I'll sum up my review of "What's It All About" with 2 observations made by Mr. Caine himself in it -
"I was once asked the difference for me between theatre, film and television. They were like three women, I said. The theatre was a woman whom I loved but who didn't love me back and treated me like s--t. The cinema was a woman whom I loved who loved me back so deeply she didn't care when I treated her like s--t. And television was a one-night stand."

"So what was it all about? In my case it was about ambition and anger and despair and determination, the everyday driving force of the poor who wish to find a ladder out of the well of hopelessness. It was also about my companions on my journey through show business. We are not, of course, without our faults. For the most part we are spoiled if we are successful, and bitter if we are not. We can be conceited and arrogant, and we are all, without exception, insecure. Finally, we are all slightly mad, or we would not be in this business in the first place, and only cling on to some sanity by a thin thread of incurable optimism."

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
There is no side to this man, he tells it how it is and he is brilliant with it.It was funny and sad but both completely in context (even the swear words!!!).
One of the best biographys I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars loving this book!, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
Laugh out loud funny with superb annecdotes of people as diverse as prince Phillip to Charles Manson.
Caine writes with self deprecating humour that endears like no book I've read in years. Love it! Love it! Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, very funny., 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
My husband and I had already read this book and bought a second for a relation. Would highly recommend that you read this. You can't put it down until you have read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not A Lot Of People Know That, 6 Nov 2007
Ian Millard - See all my reviews
This is the quite interesting autobiography of Michael Caine, ne Micklewhite, son of a Billingsgate fish porter; he became one of Britain's best known film stars, though in many ways and paradoxically, not exactly popular with at least part of the public. It turns out that he was a not very willing National Serviceman who even saw frontline action in Korea, as a machinegunner.After that, he became an actor, while having to reassure his father that he was definitely NOT what his father called a "nancy-boy"!

Speaking personally, I have never much liked Caine's acting or roles, although he was good as the Cockney intelligence operative Harry Palmer (some would say sort-of playing himself in a way). His career took him from "Cockney"-oriented roles like Palmer and 'Alfie' through to playing military officers of more than one nationality but including English ('Zulu') and German ('The Eagle Has Landed').

Caine does go into the details of how he met his beautiful Indian wife, Shakira (he saw her on TV in a coffee commercial and pursued her until he got a name, a date and, eventually, a consent to marriage!). I think that story shows more than Fate or romanticism...it shows grit and determination. Also, the struggle for life of his daughter as a baby. And, while I could never agree with Caine's kneejerk 'anti-racism', I did come out of this book with a bit more respect for him than when I opened the covers. Caine is very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel, so much so that many people have mistaken him for a Jew. This obviously did not hurt his film career...however, his views seem to be sincere, though one wonders whether they are (like his dislike of anything restricting Indians etc coming into the UK) mainly emotionally-founded, rather than intellectually-based. Certainly his knowledge of music seems quite restricted: he describes 2001, A Space Odyssey and its music, which he says was written by Wagner...(in fact, it is from Richard Strauss' tone poem Also Sprach Zarathustra). And there are a few other errors of fact in the book which do weaken the weight of his views on world affairs, politics etc.

Overall, a good read and worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into one of Britain's best actors., 2 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: What's It All About? (Paperback)
This book was well-written and detailed some of the events in his life with great humour and witt. This is the best biography, by far, as it captures the very essence of his work and life; something which other authors, e.g., Michael Freedland, have failed to achieve.
For example, Freedland only mentioned the birth of Natasha, Michael and Shakira's daughter, in one short paragraph, which did not capture quite the same intensity that Mr Caine did in this autobiography, given that she almost died.
Another important event was the story of how he met his wife; a very witty account is the result, the personal touch for which is lacking in Freedland's book.
There are also some important surprises which "not a lot of people know" about, again not given the same precedence in Freedland's version.
The only drawback to MC's autobiography is that it is rather outdated; it does not cover, e.g., his recent knighthood, since the book was published in 1992.
All in all, "What's It All About" is the best Michael Caine biography available today; the others lack the personal touch and charm that Mr Caine himself can only portray.

2.0 out of 5 stars Michael Caine rating, 29 Jan 2014
Michael allways feels sorry for himself from his childhood to his days of paying tax ,his early life was no different to mine and many others ,most of us would love to be paying supertax there are many. not earning enough to pay any.