5.0 out of 5 stars The picture simply does not do justice...
Published on 27 July 2006 by K. L. Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars Purchase only if you read with a magnifying glass
I am sure all of the reviews here are correct when it comes to the Jane Austen's prose. Unfortunately these volumes are only 3/4 scale and after getting through the first couple of pages of the of Northanger Abbey the thought of reading the entire volume made me return them. I have since bought the books individually. As someone who reads a lot I am not a fan of oversized...
Published on 4 Jun. 2010 by robin hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars The picture simply does not do justice..., 27 July 2006
K. L. Holt "Karenlee" (Utrecht Netherlands) - See all my reviews
...to how absolutely exquisite this set actually is. The books are exactly of the snug, compact size that many novels actually were in Austen's day (e.g., the one Elizabeth Bennet is holding in her hand in the popular mini-series, when Miss Bingley invites her to `take a turn about the room'). I cannot tell you how lovely these little books are, with fine paper dust jackets over cloth bound covers, built-in bookmarks of red satin ribbon and this fragile kind of gold-leaf at the edge of the pages. You actually have to take care when you turn certain pages the first time to separate - almost `cut' - them by delicately running your finger in between: it makes the most satisfying crinkle-zip sound. And they are so convenient. You can just tuck them right into you're purse or jacket pocket - perfect if you want a delightful dose of Austen while travelling - yet they still read very easily and comfortably as far as letter type and size go: no squinting necessary. I love them so much, I've given the set as a gift to other Austen fans, who have always been as thrilled with it as I am - even if they already have all the books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful gift! Photos do no justice!, 7 Jun. 2009
K. Gunatunga "Kay UK" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a gift after carefully searching for a Jane Austen Collection. Each book is wonderfully presented with a ribbon for bookmark, gold on the rim of each page and hardback. They are kept in a lovely open box to sit beautifully presented on any bookshelf. They are a little small, but this is also adds to their charm, the print isn't difficult to read and they are still comfortable in your hands. I think this is better than buying the All-in-one books as it is much nicer to close one book and begin another (also means more than one person can read it at the same time). I think the price is VERY reasonable, and when I bought it by doing the free trial on Prime, I had it the following day! My sister loves her new books so highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austen Complete Novels, 12 May 2008
Peter V. Case - See all my reviews
These little books are a joy! They are exactly the right size to read in bed. The paper and print quality is fantastic, as are the bindings and gilt edges to the leaves. I love the periodic illustrations too. They are supplied in a tight-fitting case - which is a nice idea, except that mine didn't stay in the case for long as I am half-way through them already! If you love Austen, you will love the quality of these books. And don't believe that all lovers of Jane Austen are women. I have really appreciated her stories for fifty years now. Thank you Amazon for suppying such a delightful set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Delight, 7 Feb. 2009
L. Forrester "Austen forever" (Cheadle Cheshire) - See all my reviews
My wife, an Austen addict, was delighted with this item. The size makes the books so easy to carry around or to read in the comfort of the bed.
The look and feel of them is, as in the title, a sheer delight.They would have been cheap at twice the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austen 6 Boxed Set - ISBN 190463351X, 14 May 2004
By A Customer
This set is a beautifully presented set, and I was completely bowled over by the quality of this product.
The content of the books obviously speaks for its self as it has stood the test of time.
Briilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll never let this boxset go again, 29 Jun. 2008
Louise Amkaer (Greenland) - See all my reviews
The reviewer, who said that the picture does not do this Jane Austen set justice is completely right. The set is beautiful. It consists of a sturdy, fabric-covered box with all of Austen's novels fitted inside. It is a little decadent with gold-tipped pages and little satin bookmarks, but of course it is Jane Austen. And yes, the books themselves are hardback and covered with the same bordeaux red fabric as the box itself.

I recommend the set to any one interesting in reading, or re-reading, Austen's book and any one looking for keeping editions of Austen's works.

One thing, I would like to mention, is that the fond is quite small - as are the books.

Louise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austen Book Set, 16 Mar. 2009
S. ODONNELL (UK) - See all my reviews
This box set is perfect for those who don't want to carry around big books in their bags, as these are small and light! They come in a smart box and are a perfect gift for any Jane Austen fan...I was extremely pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, 20 April 2007
I received this set as a gift from my husband and I am so pleased with them. Not only are they a perfect size but the way the books are presented from the case they are in to the lovely quality paper they are printed on and the gold edging on each page makes them feel all the more special.

I cannot recommend this set highly enough for any JA fan - a must for any book collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning!, 6 Feb. 2009
I'm in agreement with all good things other Austen fans have entered here. These little books are good quality, compact, and great value for money. But I have to add one thing - the whole experience of buying them was ruined for me (at the time) by the fact that the gilt edges of each and every book were almost glued together, and I had to creep painstakingly through each and every volume and page to individually separate them!! It was a nightmare, and finally I was reduced to trimming off the bottom of some pages of P & P as I just couldn't get them parted, any other way!

The experience put me off actually reading them, at the time, and it's only been lately after watching the "Lost in Austen" tv series (fantastic!) that I've had the interest to return to the books, again. Even now, I still need to turn the pages of several chapters ahead of reading, before I start.

Hopefully, my experience is a rare one, fellow fans, but I felt I had to offer a word of caution ... don't expect to leap straight into the stories on receipt - you may have a bit of patient prying, flicking (very helpful) and encouraging-apart ahead of you first. It'd also be worth opening the wrap to check on things, if the set is headed for a gift to someone else.

Enjoy the books - they ARE worth the effort!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, 8 Feb. 2007
Ms. M. Mccabe (UK) - See all my reviews
I received this box set today. I was pleasantly surprised! They are absolutely gorgeous. The picture doesn't do them justice.

They are smaller than I imagined them to be, and at first I was a little worried that the font was going to be too small to read easily, but it isn't. I found the font to be the perfect reading size. Wonderful! I wish they made more books this size!