5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gripping - the best of the Sally Lockhart books, 3 Dec 2007
M. Frost - See all my reviews
Be prepared for one of the most exciting page-turning reads you'll ever encounter. This book will grip you from the first page and not let you go until the end. It's the longest of the four Sally Lockhart books, but you won't notice the length as the plot just keeps going and thickening all the time.

As if that wasn't enough, in between the excitement there's also a wealth of incidental detail about social conditions in Victorian England, and especially about the rights (or lack thereof) of women.

Please note: the four Lockhart books should be read in order. This book gives away a number of significant plot developments in the first two (Ruby in the Smoke and Shadow in the North), so you should read those first. They're also great, and you won't truly appreciate this one without having read those first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great third book in the series, 20 Sep 2013
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The third in the Sally Lockhart quartet, longer than its predecessors, but another good adventure where Sally has to battle against forces trying to rewrite her past history for their own ends. In the process she becomes familiar with poverty, exploitation and indifference in the East End and becomes determined to make a difference fighting against them, another string to her bow. The central villain and some of his associates are chillingly well realised. I like Sally and her friends and will probably feel sorry when I read the final novel in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Victorian Book Ever!, 6 Nov 2012
I had read the first two books in the series and thought that neither the third or fourth one could live up to the Shadow in the North. I was very wrong. As soon as I read the first chapter, I was captivated by Phillip Pullman's amazing writing. If you haven't read the Sally Lockhart Quartet, I suggest you do because I garuntee that it will be one of the best series you ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just couldn't put it down, 13 Mar 2011
Mr. Jeremy Harris (Sale, UK) - See all my reviews
You always know it's a good book when you just can't put it down! This carries on the excellence of the earlier books in the series, The Ruby in the Smoke and The Shadow in the North.

Pullman is such a compelling story-teller, but what really sets him apart for me is his ability to paint your mind into the scene with an almost ruthless efficiency. You can find yourself wondering how you have the whole scene elaborately captured in your mind's eye and at the same time marvel at how few, but oh so well selected, words it has taken him to weave his magic.

As with the other books the story goes along moving from place to place at a canter, but despite all the changes between different sub plots / scenes / locations you never get lost with Pullman.

I heartily recommend this entire series!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Tiger in the well, 16 July 2010
Mrs. E. Craig "Honeybird" (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
My husband had the book as an audio book and after only listening to it for a short while he suggested that I purchased it to read which I did.
It was a very good read and I struggled to put it down.
It is a series of books which I didn't realise but it did not stop me from enjoying it.The Tiger In The Well (Sally Lockhart)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 17 Nov 2009
L. S. Kent (London) - See all my reviews
Phillip Pullman has to be one of the best writers we have - and this book is no exception to his high standards - the whole Sally Lockhart series of books are brilliant, for adults as well as youngsters. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiger in the Well, 17 Jan 2010
Even though I am an adult fastly approaching my middle years, I absolutely loved this book and though I enjoyed the other three books from the series, I found I could not only sympathiise with the character over the fear of losing her child I felt myself making comparisons with the worlds problems from then and today.
Well Done Pillip Pullman another excellent read.