4.0 out of 5 stars The Conclusion.... or is it?
Published on 19 Jan 2008 by Electric Gypsy

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas but I found it a difficult read
The way things are described is great, entirely feasible space elevators, procedures to stop contamination on Mars, orbital physics, light sails... all based on real knowledge. Quite exciting to the last page as doom threatens the planet.

Published on 24 Jun 2008 by D. Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars The Conclusion.... or is it?, 19 Jan 2008
I'd waited a long time for the concluding book in the excellent Time Odyssey trilogy, and wasn't disappointed by it. True to form, Clarke and Baxter's latest collabaration delivers. If sci-fantasy is your thing, this may not be for you, but for fans of pure science-fiction, there is much to make you think. In terms of style, I would say most of the writing is Baxter, but the plot is definitely ACC's broad visionary style. I would say that it is almost essential to have read the previous 2 books in the trilogy first in order to fully appreciate the detail and subtleties. Even though it is the last book in the trilogy, some details and questions remain when you get to the last page, scope for another book? I hope so. In summary, there is much here for the discerning sf reader, an excellent story backed up by good scientific thinking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas but I found it a difficult read, 24 Jun 2008
D. Wilson (UK, NW.) - See all my reviews

My issue with the book was that it skips around too much. I found it hard to follow where we were being taken within the story and at some points I hadn't a clue what just happened. Maybe thats just me, but some things seemed to happen out of sync and I lost the book a couple of times. I'll be interested to read other reviews and see if people found similar to me.

Overall a good read. It didn't take me too long to finish this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable end to a good trilogy, 8 Dec 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This third novel binds together the stories weaved in the first two books. The first two novels were largely independent of one other and could be enjoyed separately, but this one will make little sense unless you read the first two.

Having survived the first onslaught of the Firstborn in book two, in this one they have yet another trick up their sleeve in the form of an invulnerable quantum bomb headed straight for Earth. It will take months to arrive so can this be prevented? - This is the crux of the story.

This Q-bomb beastie creates a mini-universe that surrounds the target - which gradually removes the object from this reality. The science of expanding and imploding universes are weaved nicely into the plot lines, as well as other science fiction favourites of space travel, terraforming, anti-matter drives.

The story flips between the years after the Sunstorm of book two and the alternate reality of Mir in book one. This does tend to muddy the plot lines a fair bit which is confusing, but the authors make fair effort to bind it together into a cohesive story line.

The authors give themselves a classic hook into a possible fourth book, but this did weaken the ending considerably I think.

A good read but not outstanding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Ending!, 26 Jan 2008
E. Hodson (London) - See all my reviews
"The Conclusion of A Time Odyssey" is how it is subtitled. The previous two books were superb, with the first being my favourite. This is no doubt a good book, but as I neared the final quarter I feared that no real 'conclusion' would be made. Sadly this is exactly what happened. A weak ending. I am gutted that such a great trilogy came to an end in a rather "Scooby Doo" manner. I never thought I'd say that about a book by these two great authors. I sincerely hope that they pick it back up again and finish it off properly with a fourth book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarke and Baxter a powerful combination., 31 May 2014
I have been a fan of A. C. Clarke for 40 odd years and S Baxter for 20 odd both are excellent writers individually but together they are awesome. This trilogy is the best Sci-Fi book I have read for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Reading, 4 Nov 2013
If you have read the first two of these Time Odyssey Books by these great authors, then you will enjoy this one,

4.0 out of 5 stars A Time Odyssey, 16 Sep 2013
3rd in the series - gets more and more interesting as the series progresses - do we finally get to meet the Firstborn?

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 1 Jun 2013
Can be a bit confusing at times and you have to concentrate. But excellent plot and characterisation. I loved the idea of the firstborn too. I couldn't fault it. Just what you would expect from these two authors. A shame we won't see any more like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best end to a trilogy..., 25 Mar 2013
This book tries to conclude the trilogy but it does not reach the level of the previous two books. There is nothing original like the fragmented world of Mir or the space opera and of building the shield. Actually the action is very fragmented with the character jumping from one place to another without much of an explanation or in depth story. The character themselves are not well developed and do not have the same depth of those in the previous book. Probably the book was rushed to completion before Clarke departure and was not completely reviewed before publication.
All in all a book worth reading only if you are very interested in how the story could move forward after Sunstorm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but left me with more questions!, 16 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed the 3rd book, but felt it left lot more open and didn't really give me closure!! But the combination of two great writers worked brilliantly