5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of children's literature
Published on 13 April 2005 by The Librarian

3.0 out of 5 stars Edition too large!
The edition I was sent was not the one I had expected. I had wanted the soft covered edition about 5 "x8", but this was about double that. I enjoyed the pictures as always, but it was almost too large for a small child or toddler to handle.
Published 4 months ago by Patricia Scroggie

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece of children's literature, 13 April 2005
There can be few books for children that work on so many levels, and are so completely satisfying. I have been a children's librarian for over 30 years, and I can't think of anything to surpass it. The very simple story is just that the caterpillar eats his way through a variety of foods, becoming bigger all the time, until he turnes into a butterfly. The artwork is glorious, in Eric Carle's typical tissue-paper collage, with wonderful jewel-like colours. He has made many picture books, but this one is definitely the best. The pages vary in size, getting gradually larger with the caterpillar, and have holes in to show him chomping his way through the leaves, fruit, chocolate cake and ice cream, so it is interesting and tactile for little ones. It introduces counting (because he eats one plum, two oranges, three pieces of melon, etc), days of the week (one foodstuff per day!) and thus the passage of time, growth and change, the biology of caterpillars and butterflies, and, above all, it's great FUN!! My all-time favourite children's book is "Where the wild things are", but this would run it a close second.
There is no better book for under 7's. Buy it NOW, but buy the proper book, as opposed to the board book, or any other "messed-about version!

4.0 out of 5 stars a small-sized version of the original bestseller, 26 Nov 2000
By A Customer
I was disappointed at the small size of the board book - even tiny fingers find it hard to poke through the holes munched by the caterpillar. The little toy is cute, I had thought that he would be able to 'eat his way through the holes in the pages', but as stated above the book is too small. Having said that , The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a classic enjoyed by my children 20 years ago and still popular today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Children's Picture Book, 8 Oct 2004
J. Turner "jenturner18" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
I remember this book as a child and it was good fun then counting and naming all the foods and looking through the holes in the pages to see what was coming next. It was a delight to share it with my toddler and to see her delight as we turned the pages and named and counted the different foods.
It's a favourite of hers now and we can read it over and over again with the same delight as the first time.
A must have for a small children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for all generations..., 29 Jun 2004
Andrew King (Gloucester, England) - See all my reviews
I'm now in my thirties but I still remember my mom taking me to the local library. For young children, the library had a low display area including seats which was full of over-sized books. The first book I always looked for was the Hungery Caterpillar. I used to put my finger through the holes and absolutely love the simple but cyclical story and the vivid pictures. I'm now a Dad and this is the first book I will buy my daughter - a true classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great buy, 7 Jun 2005
By A Customer
this is the ultimate book for any young growing child. I heard this book when I was a kid and now I am doing the same to my own child, thats how much of a classic it is. this comes with a soft toy of a catterpillar which can weave in and out of the book to symbolise him eating an apple. This was a great buy and you have days and days of enjoyment ahead

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Hungry Caterpillar:Giant Board Book, 17 Jan 2004
By A Customer
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a true childrens classic.The story appeals to the very young with its bright inviting pictures,older children with its fun repetitive narration which they love to join in and new readers whose familiarilty with the story can boost their confidence embarking on an exciting world of books. As a Nursery Nurse,I feel this giant board format will be an ideal gift for a childrens Nursery which I visit in the West Indies.The chidren will be able to interact with telling of the story with the toy caterpillar,and the book will withstand generations of loving.I know it will become a firm favourite instantly and hope I can read it to them first to share the magic !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that needs no formal introduction...., 28 Jan 2008
In a nutshell, it is about a newly hatched, tiny caterpillar who munches his way through a variety of foods, becoming bigger and bigger, until he isn't hungry anymore and is a big, fat caterpillar (with stomachache)...then becomes a beautiful butterfly!

From the back cover:

'A much-loved classic, 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' has won over millions of readers with its vivid and colourful collage illustrations and its deceptively simple, hopeful story.
With its die-cut pages and finger-sized holes to explore, this is a richly satisfying book for children.'

Large paperback format, with 28 thick quality pages, in double-page spread format.
A line of bold, easy-to-follow text on each page, repetitive in places to help develop recognition skills and promote 'joining in' opportunities.
Colourful illustrations throughout, with some pages cut smaller, and complete with holes to emphasise the hunger!

The book offers educational value across a wide age span, including:

* days of the week
* various fruits & foods (e.g. salami, pickle, cherry pie)
* basic counting

Tiny fingers can pop through the holes the caterpillar makes as he eats his way to the next level, and there are often giggles when some spot the caterpillar emerging as they turn over the page!
And....for older readers, a lesson in basic biology:

from egg to tiny caterpillar - to big, fat caterpillar - to cocoon - to butterfly!

Example of text:

'On Monday he ate through one apple.
But he was still hungry.

On Tuesday he ate through two pears, but he was still hungry.

On Wednesday he ate though three plums, but he was still hungry.

On Thursday he ate through four strawberries, but he was still hungry.......'

On Saturday, he eats so much he has a stomachache....but puts it right on Sunday, when he only nibbles through a nice green leaf!
Then he builds a cocoon and stays inside for over two weeks.............and, then, an amazing thing happens!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 13 Dec 2005
You know those books that stay in your memory from when you were a child, well i can promise you that this would be one of them. Im 18 now and can remember reading it over and over and would stil enjoy reading it today. Its a simple yet brilliant childrens book. The illustrations are beautiful and can talk about them for hours. I would say this is one of the best childrens books of the century as it includes comic and amusing pictures for all ages to enjoy, "the hungry caterpilar" would definitely be read more than once. Although it wouldn't appear as a modern day book, children today would still love it as much as i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars ..... he wasn't a little caterpillar anymore, 25 Feb 2006
An excellent book, my little girl has enjoyed this right upto 2 and a half years old.
Helps with numbers, days of the week, colours and even the life cycle of caterpillars.
A fun book, an enjoyable book and even an educational book. A must-have for all toddlers and babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very hungry caterpillar book set, 4 May 2011
I ordered this item a few weeks ago. My 22 month old loves it, the book is small but ideal for babies as they will pick it up with ease. Also the toy is great for role play. Only down side is that I have to read it at least 9 times a day because she loves it so much!!!

ARRAY(0xad347f0c)