Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£8.75

on 24 October 2013
There were very few books in my childhood, due to war, post-war and poverty, and the Pooh wasn't one of them. So I have decided to read it at 77 and enjoyed it as if I were ten. So there.
44 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2009
YOu can never go wrong with Winnie-the-Pooh. A. A. Milne's stories about these woodland dwelling toys are a delight! No matter your age, there is enjoyment for everyone in these witty, intelligent and touching tales. I defy anyone to dislike these timeless joyful yarns.
Amazon have a habit of adding reviews from one format into another, this review is for the Kindle version, I have no control as to which format this review appears under. So disregard if viewing anything other than the Kindle version.

I don't understand why I managed to get this for free as a classic book, and now Amazon are selling it for nearly 4 GBP. It may be worth waiting and see if it drops back into the free classics.

The text alignment is good, no split paragraphs as I have seen in other e-book scans. I did notice some spelling mistakes and odd characters in place of punctuation marks, but a later re-download seems to have corrected most, if not all of these flaws.

This is a timeless classic book of Winnie-the-pooh and friends that can be read to children time and time again. I had it read to me as a child, I have read it to mine and one day I hope to be reading this to my grandchildren. There is a innocent comical edge to this book which explores the relationships and adventures between some of the most famous characters from our earliest days.

I let my children watch the Disney film before I read this to them. It helped them visualise the characters and hear their voices which greatly helped me as I am no storyteller!

A beautiful book that children (and some adults) will always love.
on 17 September 2014
If a better book has ever been written i have yet to read it. Gentleness, humour, wisdom, and great illustration. Pooh rules. And Piglit, Eeyore, Wol,Tigger, Kanga, Roo, Christopher Robin and all the others. I love it
on 22 July 2012
Winnie-the-Pooh is certainly a children's classic and also a classic in the sense that it transcends age.

I'm 41 and have just finished this joy of a book!

Lovable, brainless Pooh. Cute, timid Piglet. Philosophical, depressed Eeyore. Bossy, organised Rabbit. Talkative, intelligent Owl. Motherly, caring Kanga. Carefree, fun Roo. All under the wing of Christopher Robin with the classic illustrations by E.H. Shepard.

To be informative, the ten chapters tell the tale of how Pooh pursues some honey, how he gets stuck in Rabbit's house, how he and Piglet hunt a Woozle, how Eeyore's loses his tail, how Piglet and Pooh hunt a Heffalump, Eeyore's birthday, Kanga and Roo's arrival, an exhibition to the North Pole, how Piglet gets trapped by a flood and a Pooh party.

Just delightful and incredibly witty at times!
on 1 November 2011
I loaded this on my iPod having originally seen it free in a newspaper. In the nicest possible way, I use it to help me get back to sleep if I wake up stressed in the middle of the night (I'm 41!). I imagine it takes me back to my childhood days but Cribbins' voice is so soothing and the mental images so wonderful and amusing that I invariably fall back to sleep before the end of Chapter 3 :-)

I don't think I have ever got to the end of the CD and I hope I never do...

If you are buying it for your kids I'm sure it will have a similar effect at bedtime, but don't be afraid to have a listen yourself if anxieties are keeping you awake at night.
on 8 January 2015
A timeless classic. A child and his toys brought to life in a collection of, humerous, gentle, endearing stories. It was read to me when I was a child and I have purchased this copy for a nephew. I wanted original illustrations, not the garish Disney cartoons. I have also revisited it as an adult and now I know why my uncle used to burst into fits of giggles when he was reading it to me! Everyone should own a copy.
Good quality hardback which I like to think will still be fit to live on a bookshelf when the recipient is a young adult.
on 24 August 2008
This book is just a wonderful collection of such charming stories. My eldest son is nearly 6 years and a fairly prolific reader but we have struggled to find books with enough words to challenge him but age appropriate storylines. Having not read Winnie the Pooh as a child myself I was a little sceptical but the stories are wonderful. The humour is gentle, the stories a delight, the text beautifully written. My eldest reads the book to himself, I read it to his younger brother. In short, we love it.
I like the other reviewers was surprised how well this has been implemented on the kindle. I'm blown away by the formatting and how well the images have been reproduced. Really shames many newer titles whose kindle formatting is poor!

As for the story, a seminal classic that conintues to entertain today! Review is a bit short but others have covered it really. A masterwork of entertainment that has been reproduced fantastically on the kindle!
on 3 December 2011
This is a very neat little book, so the type is quite small, but it would be ideal to slip in a small pocket. The surprise is the German annotation - not mentioned in the product description. The book is obviously intended as an English reader for a German person learning English. However, the annotations do not interfere with the English text and all E H Shepherd's original drawings seem to be there.