5.0 out of 5 stars golf in the kindom
Published on 23 Jan 2004 by james hanney

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
It's an okay read but there are much better books on these topics - especially those by Fred Shoemaker, who provides much clearer suggestions
Published 18 months ago by A Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars golf in the kindom, 23 Jan 2004
A 1000 books could be written about this book and indeed the writer has inspired many other people and writers...It's a book about a man whos finding out about himself and the power that knowledge gives him. It has inspired me to start a company up and I hope you get as much out of it. Well written and thought provoking it delves into the possibilities that every moment gives us the chance to create, weither we are hitting a golf ball or getting up in the morning. The choice is yours, as it is to buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A BAD SHOT IS NO HANDICAP!, 29 Dec 2007
M. Drake - See all my reviews
This is a strange and compelling book and a must for all golf fanatics - part saga - part instruction manual - part mythical text - part religious experience - this book teaches the most humbling and difficult lesson we all learn on the golf course - to accept our limitations as a player and the viccisitudes of the golfing gods who shine on us at one moment and glower on us the next. Don`t expect it to lower your handicap!

Mick Drake author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Shivas Irons, 13 Nov 2006
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
I am often caught reading Michael Murphy's adventures with Shivas Irons in this book, 'Golf in the Kingdom'. In it Shivas had a 'list of people who knew'. What it is they knew he unfortunately doesn't say but I like to think that he was referring to their capability to activate positive inner energy.

As I mention in the title, I love Shivas Irons. He is in my top ten of people I would most like to meet. Along with him are Mozart, Victor Hugo, Joan of Arc, Jesus of Nazareth, Gandi, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Sherlock Holmes and Michaelangelo.

My wife can't understand why I read this book so often and she asks me, "What is so important about that damn book?"

To which I always reply, "My quest to find 'true gravity'."

So what is 'true gravity'?

It's sometimes described as 'feeling force', 'heart power', 'adrenelin rush', 'consciousness-force', 'gravity-with-loving-eyes' or my own personal explanation ' the energy dam'.

I open my dam and let the warm syrupy energy flow out during my down swing.

Bobby Jones called it adding 5-10 mph to the force of gravity. I know what he meant.

As Shivas Irons describes it, it's not difficult to achieve. We used to drop into this state in battle. These days we use it to swat flies or throw a stick for our dog. It is there. You just have to know how to activate it.

I see the top sportsmen doing it all the time. It needs a little focus and then when its activated, you just have to let it flow.

What is it then?

For me it's a warm feeling that runs from my throat down through my core to my naval. Or what the orientals describe as using their 'Chi' or 'Ki'.

I have days when this syrup is so rich that I just know I'm am going to hit the ball well and other days where I have a mellower syrup which creates less impressive results. I turn my thoughts to some of Shivas Irons words and the richness soon returns, or 'retoorns' as he would say it.

I do fortunately summon the rich syrupy feeling more often these days and enjoy miracles and great pleasure on the golf course.

Imagine you are going to swat a fly, kiss a beautiful girl, or you have won the lottery. It doesn't matter what does it for you it is important that you feel it and when you do, receate it again seconds before you swing and you'll hit great shots.

Read about it in this wonderful book and then try it out on the course. I am sure it will work for you every bit as good as it works for me.

Sandy MacDuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf in the Kingdom, 4 Nov 2007
John Parker (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book shortly after it was published 35 years ago and its message has remained with me since then. Under its influence my standard of golf has not improved much but I certainly have as a golfer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf classic, 25 Oct 2013
JHvW "JHvW" (Pays Bas, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
One of those classics of golf. But there are many. It also a little reminiscent of "The legend of Bagger Vance".

4.0 out of 5 stars self discovery, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
Using golf as a metaphor for understanding not just the world around us but the world inside each of us. Very good, a little more confusing than 'The legend of Bagger Vance' but on the same lines for golf as a spiritual journey to inner development. Worth reading several times to fully grasp all of the information.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 24 Mar 2013
A Hall (Kent, England) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Bunkum, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
This is an overhyped book and I only bought it because of the reviews. It makes absolutely no sense and the bit about golf, particularly Seamus's shillelagh being used as a club at night for a hole in one with a feathery is right out of Alice in Wonderland. Don't waste your money on this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf in the Kingdom of Life, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
saw the film, read the book.. now playing the game !!
In the Kingdom of Fife..?? .. more like the Kingdom of Life.. a good philosophy to take with you..