4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative learning
I bought this CD last week and have listened to most of it in the car to/from work.

Essentially, what you get is a Spanish woman teaching an English man in time to some occaisionally dodgey music. Topics covered range from counting, to asking for a coffee to talking about yourself and making plans.

This method of learning will appeal to those of us...
Published on 29 Aug 2006 by R. F. Usher

3.0 out of 5 stars only for begginers
A pleasant way of learning some basic Spanish phrases. Only really suitable for beginners, and aimed firmly at European Spanish. Don't pay any attention to the English mans pronunciation of the Spanish words, it is quite often wrong and a bit off putting.
Published on 22 Feb 2007 by S. watts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alternative learning, 29 Aug 2006
R. F. Usher "Kinobi-kid" (London) - See all my reviews

This method of learning will appeal to those of us who are predominantly left brained as it uses a mixture of repition and subconcious application to embed words and phrases in your mind. If you are the kind of person who struggles to learn from text books or standard methods of teaching, this may well suit you down to the ground. I have another spanish CD in my car which takes quite a bit of concentration to learn from. With this, it almost becomes background and, I'm sure over time, will afix itself in my head.

The only bad point is that they do not appear to do an intermediate or advanced version of this. I suppose they think that once you've got the basics you're better placed to learn the rest. I did a year of evening classes two years ago and so this was a good reminder, albeit sometimes a bit basic.

I don't get to use Spanish in my everyday life so any background reminder is welcome, even if you kind of know it already. Plus learning in the car is the perfect way to make the most of your time.

In summary, I would recommend this to all begginers and those who'd like to refresh their basic knowledge.

Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 8 April 2006
Simon Downing "BigD" (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Tried this on a whim and its great!
I listen to it whilst stuck in traffic in my car, the way its set to music really helps you to pick it up (like song lyrics, sort of!). It's got lots of useful phrases and explanations and the accompanying inlay has it all written out. I'm looking forward to volume 2, for more of a challenge!
The different tracks are useful covering situations from eating out and ordering to asking the time. I'd recommend it for anyone wanting to start from scratch - it'd be great for holidays sticking it on your ipod. I'm off the Spain in the summer and feel confident to use what I've picked up.

5.0 out of 5 stars ideal for beginners, 8 Mar 2007
Kyle J. Spruce (Guernsey) - See all my reviews
if you want to learn some basic Spanish quickly and easily, buy this CD. It works. I picked up words quickly and even after 6 months of not listening to the cd, I can still recall the words and was able to understand the words being used when i was in Spain. It works. Nuff said. I hope that Amazon get volume 2 in soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Way to learn., 16 Mar 2007
J. Minchinton (UK.) - See all my reviews
I've just bought this course and love it! Ever since I read of Earworms in the times I have been thinking about trying it out. Now I am thinking of trying the Russian tape when it comes out. The technique is really great. At last someone has understood how to engage the learner by repeating everyday phrases to music. Both the voice and the music are pleasant. At the end of each track the Spanish lady encourages her English counterpart to try a few words in spanish and the listener is automatically moved to do the same. Very clever. I feel that I retain much more than with Pimsleur and Michel Thomas , both of which I have also tried. This is the kind of missing link-it bolsters the other two. My partner and I travel a lot and this is a very practical way to prepare for trips.

3.0 out of 5 stars only for begginers, 22 Feb 2007
S. watts (England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing spanish, 3 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I found this way of learning a language very easy and helpful. The music is kind to the ear, not intrusive and helps to memorize the phrases. I like the repetitiveness of the phrases and found the booklet a great tool to visualize the words and the phonetics helpful with pronunciation. I play the CD in the car with the kids 14, 12, 9, 7. They find it simple and fun to practice.
I'm looking forward to the French version!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic way to learn, 8 April 2008
I bought this last week and it's brilliant - I've just ordered the second volume. It totally suits my way of learning and is very easy to use. it does work rapidly and is much more pleasnt to listen to than those dreadful CD's with mock conversations in them. i'm really enjoying using it. HIghly effective - would recommend! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked on learning!, 2 Nov 2005
By A Customer
I've been looking for something like this for years. Just simple phrases repeated and repeated so that you pick them up automatically. With other courses I've tried, they soon get boring-the clever thing about this is, the music keeps you listening. I already know a lot of the phrases after listening just a couple of times. My eight year old listens along and has picked up quite a few words which he speaks in a perfect Spanish accent. Such a simple idea but it really works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 Nov 2006
This is so easy to learn, simply stick it in the car and away you go.

It's so easy to learn and requires no effort whatsoever rfom the listener.

My daughters even put it to use on our last holiday just by listening to the CD when they've been in the car.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on volume 2 to enhance my spoken Spanish for our next holiday in Spain.

Thanks Earworms, a real gem and great value for money

1.0 out of 5 stars Rapid(ish) Balderdash would be a better title., 29 Nov 2006
b4-its-2-l8 (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It's an interesting concept... Spanish words and phrases (or any foreign language for that matter) set to music as a learning aid, but for this CD sadly that is only interesting theory and not interesting reality. So, I'm quite dubious about the reviews I've read that say this CD manages to achieve its goal successfully.

I put the CD on when I went to bed and I liked the music on the first track, but it was so peacefully melodic to me, I fell asleep by the start of the 2nd track. This was the same result I experienced each of the next few attempted listenings and personally, as someone who traditionally has difficulty drifting off, I found this delightful. It was like a mini Godsend, but it wasn't helping me learn any Spanish!

Eventually, I got round to listening to the CD during the day but wished I hadn't, it was dull and boring. If, as me, you're expecting simple songs to use melody to help anchor memory (which is a reasonable assumption considering the blurb), FORGET IT!! There is no skilful dual-language word play here, and no songs either. I'll explain...

There are 10 tracks on this CD ranging from 5m33s to 8m53s long, and a final 1m04 goodbye session. The 10 tracks contain between 18 to 22 words and/or phrases which sounds a lot, but considering the simple statement: "I would like/ a coffee/ with milk/ please" occupies 4 lines out of 18 (the next 3 being: "a tea/ a tea with milk/ and sugar") you begin to realise how limited this CD is.

Moreover, the Spanish is not really `set to music' rather it's naff elevator music in the background with a dozen and a half Spanish words spoken over the top. In fact, I suspect this is really just a clever marketing ploy; the makers of the naff music probably couldn't find a market for it, so they decided to get a couple mates, one man and one woman, to talk some foreign words over the top of it and then hail it as a new breakthrough in learning!

Another thing I didn't like was the spoken Spanish words having long gaps of music in between, ok, so 8 seconds might not really be all that long to some, but it's long enough if you're waiting for the next word, which then turns out to be a repetition of the last, which in itself was a repetition of the one before that, each of which has the same gap in between!

One reviewer recommends this for anyone wanting to start from and scratch, and fundamentally that's the only way you'll learn anything from this disc, it's so basic if you've done any Spanish before, you'll already have covered more than 98% of this CD. The only learning I did was right at the tale-end of the disc but by then I was so hacked off with what had gone before I'd more or less ceased to be receptive.

I knew I wasn't going to keep this CD but I didn't have the nerve to sell it on, so I gave it to my mum! (she's also learning Spanish). Sorry mum.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›