4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and inspirational
As a practitioner to the physical side of yoga, I chose this book as one to guide me to the spiritual side, and to get to know more about yoga as a whole, I found this book a great help and enlightening read.
The book its self is in two parts, the philosophy and the sacred scriptures.
It is put together to promote understanding in and uncomplicated way; great...
Published on 21 Jun 2003 by Zoe

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a useful guide for the curious enthusiast.
Published 17 months ago by Bobby Jarvis

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and inspirational, 21 Jun 2003
The book its self is in two parts, the philosophy and the sacred scriptures.
It is put together to promote understanding in and uncomplicated way; great for every one at all stages, and give advice to those who want to achieve in yoga and gain knowledge of its benefits, I found it fascinating and full of information and a good book for learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Teachings, 28 Jun 2006
V. Austin (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must if you are at all interested in learning what yoga is really all about. It puts you weekly yoga class in context and then some! It's easy to read and follow - even some of the more complicated ideas that are part of this science of life are explained beautifully and simply by the authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars book and accompanying CD, 6 Oct 2008
Ms. S. J. Wilson (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Book and accompanying CD

Jo Manuel is the founder of The Special Yoga Centre and Mark Forstater is a writer and film, television and radio producer. Among his credits is the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail - one never knew there was a link between Patanjali and the knights who say "Ni!"

Having just completed the BWY Foundation Course I really wish I had this a year ago. This comprehensive, explanatory book and CD gives the yoga student a thorough grounding in the Yoga Classics (Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads).

It reflects a lot of the course's syllabus, taking the reader from the aim of yoga, its path, asanas, pranayama, meditation and spirituality to a conversation with God in short, easy to navigate chapters. It presents an introduction to the texts and their key stance in the history of yoga, with modern-day references and stories which engage the reader.

Either book or CD provide an excellent guide to yoga but I would strongly recommend buying both, particularly if you are about to embark on the Foundation Course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read, 15 Jun 2014
This book is great for yogi's and anyone interested in the spiritual side of life. I couldnt put it down, written beautifully, highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars An accessible way in to the spiritual essence of yoga., 27 Oct 2013
Jo Manuel and Mark Forstater gave the yoga world a great gift when they wrote this book and for the past ten years it has been hugely valued by my many yoga students. Through clear explanation and in language of the times we live in, it encourages and enlightens yoga enthusiasts who may not be completely aware that yoga is about a lot more than postures and relaxation; that the ancient teachings are very relevant to the here now. The Spiritual Teachings of Yoga enables us to see that yoga is about life and that understanding the spirituality and psychology of yoga and then applying the techniques it teaches, gives us the skills to live happily and harmoniously. June Mitchell, CYS Teacher Training

3.0 out of 5 stars Possibly a useful guide for the curious enthusiast., 18 Mar 2013
This book was recommended to me by my yoga teacher and as I like to know the 'mechanics inside the box' for most subjects in my life, I bought it. I hoped to gain more understanding of how yoga can affect or enhance my life but this book did not help in that way. It did enlighten me to the origins and beliefs of yoga but I could probably have achieved this more readily elsewhere.
This book contains great depth and detail on yoga history and philosophy. The text on the back cover explains this and I should have taken more care when reading it.
I found it a difficult read and must admit to skipping a lot of the translation material. Overall, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it and it failed to help achieve my goal but, again, I should have considered it more carefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual understanding of yoga practice, 25 Nov 2012
Spiritual Teachings of Yoga, The

An excellent book for all those interested in the profound teachings of yoga and not just for exercise [asanas].
The sections of the book are complimentary, well explained and provide a fundamental insight into the esoteric aspects of yoga practice and its origins.
Highly recommended for those who wish to journey beyond the obvious!
A book you can 'dip into' time and time again as you progress - almost a 'reference in itself.'

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward, 20 Nov 2012
This book is exactly what it says on the cover - an easy to read description of yoga and its philosophy. It isn't too technical so it is easy for Westerners to understand without being too wrapped up in mysticism.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 20 Aug 2012
I have been practicing yoga 5/6 times a week for about 18 months now and from the start I have been wanting to learn more. I bought a copy of the Yoga Sutras a while ago which I found quite tough going so this book is perfect, the lessons of yoga are all included and explained clearly and succinctly and their relation and relevance to the current world made clear.

I have had so many light bulb moments as I've read this book as I have found so many descriptions of exactly what is happening in my mind and my world and I have gained a better understanding of my practice. So much is put into perspective.

Thank you for a highly readable book, I happily recommend it to all learning yogi's.

Namaste

4.0 out of 5 stars The spiritual teachings of yoga, 18 Jun 2011
For anyone that wants to know about yoga, this is a "must read". It is enlightening and fascinating. The authors show that there much more to yoga than exercise and breathing. It makes sense of the fact that yoga strikes a chord in western society: they illustrate how the philosophies, practices and teachings of yogis have been influencing the west for many hundreds of years. This is both enyoyable and a useful reference. I can do no better than to quote the notes at the back of the book: "This book explains the philosphy and teachings behind yoga in a fresh and accessible way."