5.0 out of 5 stars Short to Read, Big on Wisdom
I really liked this book, but for the same reasons I liked it, some may hate it.

First of all, it's an easy read, and it gets its points across by telling a story. Other books, such as The Sixty-Second Motivator, have also used this format succesfully, but this style may not appeal to everyone. To me, it makes the book a lot less boring to read...
Published on 6 Jun. 2006 by gym rat

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic
Take 3 simple main points

- One minute goal setting
- One minute praise
- One minute reprimands

... and put them in a very short fictional story and you have this book.

Published on 11 Feb. 2009 by Lee Englestone

5.0 out of 5 stars Short to Read, Big on Wisdom, 6 Jun. 2006

Secondly, the book is short. The vast majority of readers will easily be able to read this book in a day. It has bigger font, which I personally liked and thought it made it a joy to read. However here again, some may be turned off by that and consider it to be too "child-like."

Thirdly, the book takes solid mangagerial info and gives it to the reader handily in the form of three "secrets." I found the advice to be very practical and while some may consider it far too simple, it can help you a lot IF you actually apply the info- which I suspect most managers do not.

In conclusion, I recommend this short business classic to anyone looking for better ways to improve their managerial skills. I doubt most readers will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful even in the home, 10 Nov. 2003
DAVID-LEONARD WILLIS (Thessaloniki Greece) - See all my reviews
Is there a short, easy-to-read management book that can be really useful to the businessman but also helpful for the housewife and in the conduct of family affairs? Is it possible to squeeze into 100 pages enough valuable information so that it serves a multiple audience and could even be a guide for raising children? This book is based on techniques occupying one minute. Concentrating on three core issues, the author first concentrates on goals. In the business world goals would probably be getting more bang for the buck or more widgets per shift or greater efficiency; in the home goal setting can start with children making the bed, keeping the bedroom tidy or clearing up afterwards. Goal setting is only successful if both parties buy into it - boss and employee or parent and child. Agreeing on objectives, expressing them concisely as bullet points, and setting a time frame may take more than a minute but they can be reviewed rapidly and without dispute. The other two core issues - praise or reprimand - follow naturally and each party knows in advance what it will be. There are no surprises.
You can easily read this book and map out your strategy in an evening. It is difficult to imagine that anyone could not find this book helpful in some part of their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The lessons learnt in this book are still with me, 21 Mar. 2003
Mr. GF Settle (Cheshire,UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I can't remember when I read this book and who if anyone recommended it to me but the images and lessons learnt are still very clear.
The calmness of the main character, who is always in control, mentors you page after page with key messages. I always carry a calming image in my mind especially when things get tough at work of visiting the ‘one minute’ manager in his office. I walk through his open door and he turns away from gazing out of the window deep in thought to welcome me and offer advice.
Another of the key thoughts I retain and practice is when disciplining staff you tell them what they haven’t done so well and what you expect from them BUT you leave them with the thought that you know and have seen them do really good work and that is what you want to see them continue to do.
It’s a bit like the STICK and CARROT approach. They leave in a positive frame of mind knowing what is expected of them and knowing that you have faith in their ability to perform and have your support but equally they know the consequences if they do not.
I have found that by adopting this approach I have got very good performances out of my staff and they have felt that they can approach me about any issue. For the rest of the time they have had the confidence to proceed knowing that I will back their judgement.
As one of the previous reviewers has said if you like this book you will love when the ‘One minute Manager Meets the Monkey’ is all about what to do with that problem that’s been put on your back and which you can do sweet FA about. But hey I’m not going to tell you about it in this review.
Also look out for ‘Who moved my Cheese’ the author inspired one of his co-authors to write about how to deal with change. If you are in a rut get this book as well, non of them will cost you much and they are all bite size and fit nicely into you pocket or handbag.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read, 5 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
OK, so this book is not the definitive guide to management, but reading it is guaranteed to change the way you think. I have no hesitation recommending this to anyone who wants to re-examine the way they manage people.
It may not suit everyone and it may not have all the answers, but I learned more from the hour-or-so it took me to read this book than on a seven day management course I attended recently.
It debunks the myth that management has to be hard, or that you can only be a nice guy or a 'company' guy. You can be both.
The main reason people criticise this book is not because the book is bad, but trying to force everyone to use this (or any single) method can never work. And do you really believe a book that bad would sell millions of copies?
And the £5 or so I spent on this book has already helped me get my £10k+ pay rise and promotion this year. That's value for money. Read this. You owe it to yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Universally applicable!, 31 Aug. 2006
B. V. Michael - See all my reviews
This is one of my favorite books. It is geniusly simple, respectful and powerful. I was surprised to find out that I can easily apply the 3 principles in almost every relationship. So many people around deserve to be praised and taught a lesson and it is very important HOW you will do it because the final result can be very positive or just the opposite. It is a very valuable book which is very well written and is a fast read. I also highly recommend the other books from the One Minute Manager series because every book has a lot to offer and they will be especially helpful if you are in a business environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the business primer, 30 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This book should be required reading for all business school students. This book should be read and reread. In my writings, in my consulting and in my family, I use the principles described in The One Minute Manager. It simply and elegantly shows us how to teach, how to communicate and how to win. It is a wonderful model for all executives to ensure becoming more successful. Until you are effective with people, you have little chance to succeed. The One Minute Manager fills an important gap in most peoples' perceptions of what will work. Otherwise, most people will transfer their fear of being bossed into becoming a fear-creating boss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lifetime learning and the One Minute Manager, 24 Jun. 2012
A friend bought a copy of the One Minute Manager by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson in the 1990s and kept it by his desk. I have often been told about the book and judged its relevance by the problems my friend had hitting his targets and motivating his team. When he moved on, he left the book to me and for a year it has sat in my in-tray.

As a raving fan of Gung Ho!, I believed that I should read One Minute Manager and I read the first half without great enthusiasm. The business fable of a young executive setting out to find how to manage and the people that he met seems a bit forced. The concept of one minute goals, one minute praisings and one minute reprimands seems like a cheat. I was ready to sneer...

I had two issues with the book. Firstly, managers need to have domain knowledge before their reports will give them the credibility to be one minute managers. Secondly, the idea of managers having lots of spare time seemed like a cheat. This book will mess lots of people up, like my friend, I thought.

But then I read, on page 72, this:

"'You see', the manager said, 'you really have three choices as a manager. First, you can hire winners. They are hard to find and they cost money. Or second, if you can't find a winner, you can hire someone with the potential to be a winner. Then you systematically train that person to become a winner. If you are not willing to do either of the first two (and I am continually amazed at the number of managers who won't take the time to train someone to become a winner), then there is only the third choice left - prayer.'"

Wow.

What this book is great for is reminding you that you need to invest in your people. Invest in them by setting them stretching and achievable goals. Invest in them by giving them space to work but keeping in regular touch. Take a minute, look at your goals, look at your performance, see if your behaviour matches your goals, the book suggests you should say to your team. Goals begin behaviours, consequences maintain behaviours, it adds.

Many local shop operators pay low wages. But this does not mean that you should have low expectations of your people or for your people. Applying the ideas in the One Minute Manager will help your business become more successful. It's short. It's cheap. Make a plan to read it in the next month.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but very light on content, 26 Jan. 2007
This is a good, fast paced read. It can be read in about an hour. It contains very basic people management skills information, wrapped into a story. The basis of the story is that there is a manager who can restrict his contact with colleagues to one minute bursts and be the most effective manager in the organisation. A newcomer learns the skills and represents the reader in the story. Most managers you know have read this book, so if you have not, buy it and read it tomorrow - must keep up with the competition!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, 11 Feb. 2009
Lee Englestone (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Take 3 simple main points

- One minute goal setting
- One minute praise
- One minute reprimands

... and put them in a very short fictional story and you have this book.

There are so many dimensions to management and leadership missing its not true, resulting in a somewhat shallow feel to the topic and perhaps a bit dangerous?

If you want a jigsaw where half the pieces are missing buy this book.
If you have NO experience of management or don't even know what the word manager means buy this book.

Otherwise don't.

-- Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Just right for first-time or inexperienced managers., 12 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
Its been around for a long time now, and maybe needs an update. It is certainly rather superficial, and you have to like the chatty style. However, its still the best for new or inexperienced team leaders, supervisors (if they still exist!) or first liners. A kind of 'first aid' book. Then go and dig deeper!