5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired and Hilarious Lunacy
FINALLY - a comedy series with intelligence, wit, and an inspired sense of the surreal. I listened to every episode and every repeat. Superbly acted, utterly brilliant. Writer Mark Evans is one to watch.
Published on 11 Mar. 2008 by Bradley Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak Expectations......
What can I say ? I was disappointed.

Having read great reviews I was expecting a great comedy. However, although it did raise a chuckle or two I found the writing was fairly weak and seemingly random in parts. This cannot really be compared to anything like Hitchikers, which is in a league of it's own. I would compare it more to Andy Hamilton's "Old Harry's...
Published on 22 Dec. 2009 by D. W. Gill-collis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired and Hilarious Lunacy, 11 Mar. 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Pip Pip Horray, 10 Mar. 2008
Sarah Hill "with stars" (London) - See all my reviews
Aboslutely superb show that I listened to both times it has been on the radio and I went to see recorded!
Beware of the underwater squirrels, the fatal cold, jealous father in laws, wooden sea dog/pirates....oh yes and the Heartthrasher brothers and sister.

I wouldnt have gone to see it if I wasnt such a huge Celia fan, but I am EVER so glad I have followed it through! It is brilliant!

*clicks buy*

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 7 Mar. 2008
Tim Kevan (Braunton, Devon) - See all my reviews
This is the funniest thing I have ever heard on radio. It is in the mould of classic British humour with lunacy, learning and just plain silliness. It's brilliant and I would put money on it following the path that Hitchhiker's Guide travelled from radio. Can't recommend it more highly and would make a great present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harumbles!, 27 Dec. 2010
JamesW (Nr Stroud, Gloucester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What a hidden gem!
I accidentally "started" this on a season 4 episode and thought it was utterly insane and bonkers, therefore I had to start from the beginning and am so glad I did.

The cast is wonderful, the characters are inspired and the writing is pure genius.
The style is of course Charles Dickens-esque, that is the whole point, but you don't need to know Dickens entire back catalogue to find it funny. The comedy lies on the styling not the pastiche.

There is a wonderful Britishness about this comedy, from the stiff upper lip mentality to the wacky inventions. This delightful quirkiness is very much part of the comedy and what makes it stand out as laugh out loud funny!

I first listened to it on the tube going into work and could not stop laughing, trying not to make eye contact with other commuters was very easy bearing in mind I had tears of laughter

Although the cast is all exemplary, there has to be a special mention to the wonderful Anthony Head in his role as Gently Benevolent. You can almost see him twisting his pencil thin moustache as he walks away from tying a damsel to train tracks.

As of this date, there are 4 seasons and 3 to buy. Each one is wonderful and a joy to listen to again and again.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars A future classic!, 4 Feb. 2009
S. Wright "Simonboo" (Newton Abbot, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my brother who was really impressed; then I borrowed it and have listened to all six episodes around five times each. It's got classic, high quality BBC production values with no fillers or slack writing. The cast's delivery of the script is perfect with some real laugh out loud moments. I only wish I'd been at the recordings as you can hear how much fun everyone was having with this production. I would describe it as messed up Dickens mixed with Blackadder - I could see Spike Milligan producing something like this. It twists and turns with some genuinely enjoyable wordplay - so clever you need to listen again so you catch all the throwaway puns and jokes.

My 11-year old son gets most of the jokes and it's educational explaining the ones that he can't understand. A future classic - I'll be buying the second series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 2 April 2011
I first heard this series on BBC Radio 4 one evening completely by accident and bought the whole first series after catching up on some epidsodes on IPlayer. It is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Anthony Head as Mr Gently Benevolent gives a performance of genius as a Victorian villain and master of disguise (ha ha ha ha ha!), while all the other members of the cast are superb, especially Harry Biscuit (whose father invented the biscuit). My daughter (aged 9) and I have had fun listening to it togther and almost laughed ourselves senseless at the scene where the hero Pip Bin invents a cylindrical object for storing unwanted paper and other household waste (originally called the Piperator). The whole series is full of inspired lunacy - and the good news? Ihere are a further 3 series and they are just as funny if not funner! i am just about to order the complete series 2 and 3. We are now hoping for a series 5 in the furture, so we can go and see it being recorded!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great listen, 14 May 2011
I first heard Bleak Expectations on Radio 4's comedy slot at 6.30 pm. I loved the humour at the time and I decided to treat myself to a re-listen to the series. I was pleased to find that programme stands up to being listened to again really well and it was just as funny as I remembered. Its well worth getting. Go on - treat yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars BBC Brilliance, 13 Nov. 2009
Mattdoc30 (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I first heard this show when I worked a 'late', and was determined to hear it in full. So with a long journey coming up I bought this and the second series, and my 5 hour journey flew by!

This is one of the funniest things to be on the Radio ever, right up there with things like Hitch Hikers Guide - excellent blend of gags, acting (especially Anthony Head) and, surprisingly, story!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite amusing, 25 Mar. 2013
Trilliane (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I admit I had never heard of the series till it popped up as a recommendation, I read the synopsis I found a clip and decided to give it a go.

Since my 4yr old son is a big fan of audio books in the car I had become accustomed to spoken word on my daily commutes but needed something more intelectually challenging than Postman Pat or Narnia. I wasn't disappointed.

Bleak Expectations is a period comedy and at times, quite tongue in cheek with it's hunour but it is that aspect that makes it funny, there is nothing overly complicated in the plot (and yes there is one) and the jokes are what I would class as proper British comedy, as others have mentioned, think Blackadder and you're on the same page.

Others have likened it to Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers series. While Bleak Expectations is a series of short stories I feel this comparison to be wrong, each Bleak episode can be enjoyed alone while Adams must be appreciated in full, you can't dip in just anywhere.

Overall I must say for a light hearted radio comedy, you really can't go wrong, it's well writen and full of wit, the voice actors are we suited to their respective charactors and play their parts well.

This is the first time I have gone in blind with a recommendation but I'm glad I took the plunge. I have noticed there are a further 4 series at present and if they continue to be as funny as the first I'm sure I'll be among those hoping for more. Watch this space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dickens would love this!, 28 Jun. 2013
Bleak Expectations is Dickens with his tongue firmly in his cheek. It's clever and sophisticated yet embraces the ridiculous at the same time. The quality of the acting/reading helps preserve the atmosphere of the Victorian settings and the wonderful names reflect the pleasure which Dickens must have experienced when devising his own memorable characters. I hold a degree in Literature and have studied and taught Dickens: Bleak Expectations is a worthy companion to the stories and novels Dickens wrote.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›