4.0 out of 5 stars WARM, CANDID, AND FUNNY, 22 April 2009
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
She spent some 20 years in New York City looking for Mr. Right and found a succession of Mr. Wrongs and several Mr. Not-Even-Closes. Nonetheless, despite major disappointments she always remained optimistic, leading this reader to believe her theme song was "Surely This Time."

Giulia Melucci, a well brought up Catholic girl from Brooklyn, was a whiz in the publishing biz, a marvel in the kitchen, but severely challenged when it came to picking out a man. It's a puzzlement. However, she's also blessed with a choice, self-deprecating humor, which readers will find irresistible in her memoir "I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti." She chronicles her days of dauntlessly dating, punctuating those experiences with wonderful recipes. (We're having Spaghetti Carbonara found on page 22 this evening.)

Her initial boyfriend in January of 1990 was Kit Fraser (all potential mates names are changed to protect the innocent and guilty). They shared many commonalities save for his love of the bottle and eventual alcoholism.

Next came Ethan who showed promise. And with him Giulia became bold, asking, "What does it take to seduce you?" He smiled nervously and replied, "I think we should just be friends." She was not discouraged and made Healthy Penne (page 65) and Unforgettable Halibut (page 69) for him.

Her last fellow (at least when she finished the book) was a Scot whom she nurtured in every way, even to getting his book published. Before leaving he did cook for her (Lachlan's Farfalle with Zucchini and Egg is found on page 263). Following his departure Giulia learned the pleasure of cooking for one and writing a book.

If you ask me these guys don't know what they missed. Giulia would do anything to please them, often deciding there was something wrong with her. Not so!

"I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti" is an absolute delight - candid, moving, and often hilarious.

- Gail Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed!, 10 Dec 2010
The story itself is not very original, but the tone compensate well enough for this. It is light, funny, touching at times, and I loved having the author's recipes; I did not try any yet, but they all look classics to me and are certainly good. It is not a prize winner, but a very enjoyable light read for the bus, the tube or the bed!