on 6 May 2009
I only really bought this for David Tennant, but it is much better than that.
Yes, Mr Tennant's soft scottish voice is dreamy and is perfect for reciting love poetry, but the other readers are great too.

Ideal if you like Shakespeare, Poetry, David Tennant or all three.
on 16 May 2010
This is an excellent cd (or gift) for anyone who loves Shakespeare's sonnets. It contains 75 out of the 154 sonnets read by all very credible Shakespearean actors, each with their unique approach to the sonnets. I'm a fan of David Tennant, but truly all of the readers are fantastic in their own right. Great for listening in the car, relaxing at home, in a quiet moment or if you want your dose of the Bard's genius.
on 6 September 2011
Part of the joy of being a fan of David Tennant is the worlds he opens up to you. A few years ago I would never have dreamed of studying Hamlet, going to the theatre to watch Much Ado About Nothing, or buying a cd of Shakespeare's Sonnets. What a pleasure it has been to hear them read so well by all concerned, and then to be so moved as to read up about them and find out what they are all about. To my surprise I often reach for this cd and play it randomly just to hear such lyrical poems, even if I don't understand them all yet. Greatly recommended.
on 1 June 2009
brilliant would highly recommend it i am not a fan of shakespeare( re not understanding the lingo) but this cd was lovely helped me understand it a lot better lovely to listen to out in the garden on a sunny day relaxing.
on 23 March 2009
The sonnets are fantastic,. I especially like
Shall I compare you to a summers day.
David Tennant has such a brilliant voice and a fantastic shakesperean actor.
on 11 April 2010
I bought this as a gift for my mother. She loved it and said the voices chosen were marvellous.
on 26 June 2009
I'm a fan of Shakespeare since I was 10, however no need to be a Shakespeare fan to buy this CD. You should have it and once you hear those amazing sonnets, you'll love it. So close your eyes and listen, David Tennant will make you "live twice, in this and in `his' ryhme..." David Tennant's brilliant performance and lovely Scottish accent (may we call Elizabethan Scottish) is absolutely fantastic. He is the best actor ever and he doesn't just read the sonnets, he acts perfectly. So it was very wise to choose him read the most famous one, Sonnet 18 "Shall I compare thee to a summers day..." everytime I listen the sonnet, thanks to David's lovely voice, I feel I'm immortal "...So long lives this and this gives life to thee" Buy this CD, you won't regret it.
on 27 September 2013
Narrations were good, but felt that some accompanying appropriate medieval music in the background would have enhanced the whole experience. Where I first knew of this CD was my local radio station ABC CLASSIC FM which is part of the national broadcaster in Australia.
I have been reading these sonnets for more than 40 years, through all stages of my life. They had been sources of great wisdom and comfort. THIS RECORDING IS A GREAT LET DOWN. One of the principle characteristics of these works is their intimate personal and constantly similar emotional VOICE OF SHAKESPEARE talking to 1 or 2 people/ friend(s). With all these readers on this CD(13 readers in all, 9 men, 4 women), THIS EFFECT is COMPLETELY CANCELLED. Each reader creates his own personal voice of Shakespeare, each different, one from the other, creating a mass of affective confusion. This is especailly true of the dissimilar mix of women readers and the many mediocre male readers. It would have been MUCH better to have 1 or 2 of the best readers to read ALL of them, perhaps the first half by 1 reader and the second half by the second reader, as the first half were probably written to a man and the second half to a woman. The best readers in my opinion are Aton Lesser, Gunnar Cauthery, David Timsom, Benjamin Soames and Roy McMillan. I do not agree that David Tennant is one of the best readers here, as the other reviewers note. Look for a better reading by a great English poet or legendary Shakesperean actor. At the moment I have no suggestions. 75 of 154 sonnets are represented with some notable exclusions. Overall mediocre CD. Produced as a commerical venture by someone who doesn't know or love these works, that is my off-the-cuff feeling.
on 18 December 2014
I love this CD. It brings Shakespeare alive.