4.0 out of 5 stars BRAIN SURGERY
Published on 28 Feb 2007 by Swapan Seth

3.0 out of 5 stars Preaching to the converted....
Published 18 months ago by Trinny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Preaching to the converted...., 21 Mar 2013
The point the author makes is solid, but this could have been an essay or a long article. I believe on some level that the author is absolutely right, to thrive and succeed today, we need to think differently about our career than our parents did and make a living producing work that can not be outsourced. The portfolio exercises are fun Edward de Bono derivatives, a couple of writing and drawing challenges were genuinely fun and surprising. However - in my view we will always need people who choose the "traditional" career paths, as they are often the ones who can build scalable businesses. We cant all work in service businesses, cutting each others hair, polishing each others shoes, doing each others advertising campaigns. Moreover, this kind of book will always be preaching to the choir. A programmer, doctor or solicitor is unlikely to prioritize time to read this book, and thus, this is a book for people already working in the creative right-brained field of business, giving themselves a self-congratulatory pat on the back for being smart enough to choose a right-brained career path. (Myself included. :)I would have given more stars, but the chapters kept losing me for lack of succinctness, the same points are made many times and from many angles. This is of course the mark of a well researched and intelligent piece of work, but I would have enjoyed a tighter edit more.

4.0 out of 5 stars BRAIN SURGERY, 28 Feb 2007
Swapan Seth "Luxeist" (New Delhi, India) - See all my reviews
James Watson who won the Nobel Prize for helping discover DNA called the human brain, "the most complex thing that we have discovered in the universe." Woody Allen called it "his second favourite organ." Daniel Pink's A Whole New Mind, is in many ways a seminal book. It builds upon the fact that a neurological Mason Dixon line divides the brain. The left brain is analytical. While the right brain is more creative. In this book, the author argues that the future will belong to the right brainers which means that the structured MBA, comp-geek will progressively become a no-brainer, so to speak. However, make no mistake; Pink's perspective is no complex cortex compilation. Instead, it's a racy read divided into two parts. The first is dedicated to Asia, Abundance and Automation (slight yawn) while the second part is devoted to the six senses that will be significant in the world of tomorrow. Filled with leads to brain tests and must read magazines, this book is delightful for anyone who wishes to know which minds will be the great minds of the future. The book is also peppered with some lovely quotes: "The guy who invented the wheel was an idiot. The guy who invited the other three was a genius." Or " He who laughs last, doesn't get it." A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vision for an Improved Way of Solving Problems, 21 Mar 2006
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Ever since Peter Drucker pointed out that the future performance of organizations in the developed world would be in the hands of knowledge workers, we've been blessed with an understanding that the dominant economic focus can shift rapidly into new directions. Prior to that, the industrial age had lasted for over two centuries. The agricultural age that preceded it lasted several thousand years, and the hunter-gatherer age had lasted even longer.
What is the conceptual age? It's a time when due to applying all of our brain's many functions and the many advances of technology that we enjoy, a person can imagine totally different ways to serve and entertain others. Imagination is the limit.
A number of people have preceded Mr. Pink's message in partial ways such as those who have written about the entertainment economy, works about serious play, cataloguers of storytelling best practices and those who consider emotional intelligence.
But I think Mr. Pink's concept is both bigger and more accurate than that which has preceded this book. Most methods of making improvements only harness parts of our capabilities and serve only parts of our needs. Anyone who has sat in a traffic jam recently realizes that. What good is s beautiful sports car if traffic is bumping along at 10 mph? Put that same driver into a Grand Prix simulator, and the person comes alive in a way that's almost beyond belief.
Mr. Pink points out six key opportunities to supplement traditional, linear thinking. These are design, story, symphony (integration of disparate elements), empathy, play and meaning.
I think, however, that Mr. Pink is wrong about these being the primarily undeveloped senses. Given what I've read about brain research, I wouldn't be surprised if aroma, physical touch, musical stimulation, simulation and directed meditation didn't end up being as, if not more, important.
Some will be disappointed that Mr. Pink doesn't give them a manual to operate in the new age. Given how little we know about how to engage one another in these other ways, time will have to pass before we have what amounts to instructions. In the meantime, Mr. Pink does a good job of pointing towards experiences and books that can help with whole brain development.
If you think the problem with the economy is that we have too few engineers, you should read this book. It'll take you ahead into a future you need to start preparing for now.
To give you a sense of how important I think Mr. Pink's concept is, I made this book the focus of this week's briefing for The Billionaire Entrepreneurs' Master Mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using our brains properly makes perfect sense, 23 April 2009
Pink's text, explaining the logical way by which we might better harness our approaches and to build on our understandings of how brainpower can help us to become more creative is well considered and easy to read. As designer it is easy to agree with many of the sentiments, though some of the more fine art comments could easily be challenged.

As an entrepreneurial type, working between art and design and business, I find the messages he offers very supportive of the way we have been working in design education for (in my experience) the past few decades. I'd encourage any design professional or business creative to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 2 Aug 2008
Julie Surycz (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future

This is an outstanding book. It is entertaining and easy to read. At the same time, it is very insightful and stimulating. I have read many books on the future of work and this stands out as one of the best. Many business books can be dry and intense or fluffy and nebulous. This one is well researched and well written. After reading this book, I bought all of Daniel Pink's books and every one is great. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Skills Guide for The Conceptual Age, 3 May 2009
In this beautifully written book, Daniel Pink points to a shift that we already knew was coming. We have already moved from the industrial age, where manufacturing jobs dominated our societies, to the information age, where the programmers, engineers and medical professionals commandeered our economies into prosperity. However, three things - abundance, asia and automation - is pushing us to the next shift. One that the author calls the Conceptual Age, where creative, synergistic skills, domain of our Right Brain in physiological term, are becoming increasingly important. This book examines what this means, what will the key skills be and how our social preferences, education systems, jobs and ideas need to change to account for this shift.

I shall recommend this book as an essential read for business decision makers, educators and public policy professionals, or anyone wanting to make sense of the future without necessarily wanting to stand in the way of progress.

1.0 out of 5 stars cooler hype than it deserves, 21 Mar 2013
This book is sold as revolutionary. All it takes to write the same stuff is eyes and ears open. Then YOU TOO could have written this best-seller and retired in Palm Springs, although it is more like a long talk to an agreeing friend. In such case, like the author, you don't need to substantiate anything. This guy is just talking opinions and it seems that his intended readers are all in personnel management. This book allegedly about brain halves is a no-brainer. I agree with most of it, but that is no reason for anyone else to read it. Any responsible right-brainer would brand this left-brain-written book as superfluous tripe. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, well argued, with only one small flaw., 1 Feb 2007
Richard Griffiths "SoulFireMage" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm 3/4 the way through this book, and have found it an enjoyable and enlightening read so far.I'm a bit of a generalist myself so I can appreciate his ideas.

The concept ,however, of the West needing to grasp these ideas ahead of the Asian market isn't solid however. I think that there are as many smart cookies over there that will pick up on these skills as there are in Europe or America. This books concepts are simply universal. However, this is the only minor niggle, and another reviewer has mentioned it.

Don't let it be a detracting point. If the contents of the book interest you, buy it. It's cheapm, yet worth more;plus you will enjoy the writing and the concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Creative!, 26 April 2005
An excellent, thought provoking book. I read it in two sittings.
Dan Pink writes a lot better than most so-called management gurus. He's also a Democrat, which makes his ideas and scribblings more palatable than most of his contemporaries.
If you're already working in a creative capacity or industry, you'll already know/understand what most of Pink is saying. If you're not, it's time to learn.
Business and industry in the west is undergoing yet another renaissance. Pink's observations may not be groundbreaking in themselves, but he has successfully identified and documented a sea change in the way we add value to goods and services.
During the 80's and 90's it was the turn of the computer geeks and code writers. In the new millennium, it's the right brainers - the creatives, the empathisers and the carers - who will rise to prominence.
Pink provides short portfolios of practical ideas for flexing and stretching the right side of your brain: Interesting and diverting for those already of a creative bent, not so sure for some of the hard-nosed, egomaniacal leaders of industry out there.
As a Mac advertisement once stated, "You have 206 bones in your body; surely one of them is creative." Buy A Whole New Mind and find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 6 Oct 2005
K. J. Moore "KJM1" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A very easy read providing 'food for thought' about the skills we'll all need in work in the 21st Century. Provides excellent action centred ideas for the reader and lots of hot tips to survive and thrive in the new digitised world. The story is interesting and easy to read ( quick read in 2 sittings) and has a relaxed style. One for all those wondering how to get ahead of the rest and live life to the full.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›