5.0 out of 5 stars The book that started the James Herriot phenomenon
The first book by legendary vet James Herriot. Set in 1930's Yorkshire, it warms the heart and tickles the funny bone. The characters are as rough-hewn as the Yorkshire Dales they inhabit. They draw you into their world with their charm. A youthful Herriot struggles to come to terms with his new environment, relishing the challenge. A great read and a good laugh !!
Published on 24 Aug 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars So sad it has been abridged!!!
I just love the books by James Herriot. And Timothy Christopher is a wunderful reader. I was really looking forward to this audio book. What I sadly had missed, was to read, that it was abridged to only 3 cds!!! WHY???

Published on 13 Aug 2011 by Anders

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that started the James Herriot phenomenon, 24 Aug 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 26 Dec 2007
Ms. Hr Jackson "Hannah Jay" (England) - See all my reviews
I love James Herriott-he has the gift to not only be very funny, but very touching. Reading his books can sometimes make you feel nostalgic towards an era you never knew. His love for life, even when things are going slightly pear shaped, transpires in all his stories and is a delight to behold. You end up feeling like you knew all the people in the stories-Siegfried, Triston...He really lets you into his world.

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, 15 Nov 2009
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
What a wonderful trip down memory lane this book was. I remember watching the TV series back in the 70's and 80's and picking this book up for the first time was like settling down by the fire with old friends.

Set in the Yorkshire Dales, this is the first book in a series by rookie vet James Herriot and his new life in the countryside and among the animals and his struggle to win over the old Yorkshire farmers and eccentric characters he meets there. There were so many times when I literally laughed out loud (once in a quiet hospital corridor while waiting for someone to come out of the theatre - which got me a few horrified looks!). The character of Mrs Pumphrey and her dog Tricki Woo had me bent over crying with laughter!

I just loved this book. I live in Yorkshire, about an hour from the Dales, and it has made me want to jump in my car and head off to Herriot country; the whole place just came alive with his passion for the region. I am really looking forward to reading the rest in the series - this is the sort of comfort reading that I know I can look forward to if I need a break from real life. In the words of James Herriot while describing his beloved countryside - I felt like I could breathe. This book is a real tonic - highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars So sad it has been abridged!!!, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: If Only They Could Talk (Audio CD)

I really hope that Hachette will come out with the original version soon! Because I am not going to buy the other abridged storys in the Herriot series. And I can't find them anywhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebirth of an all time great, 20 April 2010
James Herriots' stories are always going to go down well.
A struggling vet just out of college joins a practise and attempts to woe the old fastidious farmers in and around Darrowby in Yorkshire circa 1930's
Trying to educate them to his own way of thinking becomes a far bigger task than he realises and some of the characters he meets on this journey are nothing short of brilliant.
They are so well depicted you feel that they are so genuine and realistic that should you drive into the Yorkshire Dales you would half expect to bump into them.
The story has been around for years but well done, it is still a magnificent story.
Benjamin J. West, Author of The Eight of Spades: A Law Unto Themselves

5.0 out of 5 stars These audio cd's are the best!, 24 July 2010
Ms. M. Y. Harkins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If Only They Could Talk (Audio CD)
James Herriot's has been a source of inspiration to all who love animals and Yorkshire - me! I have all his books, DVD's and the whole series of ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL (which have been played to death). With Christopher Timothy's lovely speaking voice (who was perfectly cast as James Herriott in the TV series), perfectly captures the original author's stories. When going on holiday, this audio cd goes with me every time. If you are feeling tired, stressed, fed-up or otherwise, find a nice quiet corner and listen to this wonderful cd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Prospects, 2 Dec 2006
John Baker (Somerset England) - See all my reviews
Nice to see a resurgence in interest in James Herriot's tales. A new generation can savour his story telling. Certainly he's given the inspiration for a modern day equivalent in 'Pets in Prospect'. Both revel in the lifes of young vets caught up in the hurley burley of dealing with clients and their pets. Both written with humour and in a style that makes for easy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful Herriot, 18 July 2013
This review is from: If Only They Could Talk (Audio CD)
Christopher Timothy reads tales of Yorkshire vet practice and courtship in the splendid scenery of the Dales and among the characters Herriot captures so well. Humour and pathos - a very good listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars If only they could talk, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: If Only They Could Talk (Audio CD)
James Herriot's stories are such fun.They are well read and paced by Christopher Timothy,so that the humour stands out. If you like fun stories try listening to James Herriot's CD stories in bed you could be in trouble. The bed may well quake shake as suppressed laughter escapes. Well you have been warned! I wish you many happy hours of listening. John