Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£15.20

on 30 July 2005
Simply put, this is the best bit of fiction I have read thus far, untouchable by many regards.
There is a continuous introduction to the characters while the plot develops that keeps you engrossed. Rather like a small child, surprised that they have learnt a new skill, you become enthralled by Koontz' descriptions of detail.
So what has caused the people to freak out wildly, something unnatural to themselves? Why on Earth have they become so reluctant to sleep? Sure enough as you turn the page you'll find out the plight of big-shot doctors to up and coming authors (who I think Dean Koontz has moulded as himself.)
This book will stay stuck to your hand even after you've finished it, just so that you can read it again. I absolutely loved it and I think without a shadow of a doubt it will be thoroughly enjoyed by others too.
on 14 April 2007
Havung read all 40 Dean Koontz books I feel I am in a position to be able to judge pretty well the qualities of his work. And this one is definately one of his best. For me it is his best book along with Watchers. It is a longer book than most of his (over 700 pages compared to the average 500) but I never lost interest and it kept me hooked chapter after chapter. If you haven't read this book do. You will not be dissappointed !!
on 22 August 2002
Across the miles of America strangers are dreaming the same nightmare. What is the connection between all these strangers? Why do they wake calling "the moon"? In "Strangers" Koontz explains these phenomenon but the truth is far more than anything the sufferers had suspected. As the story progressed I felt, myself, the fear and exaltation experienced by Koontz' characters as the secrets of their nightmares were revealed one by one. Stephen King said "The best novel he has written …" and he is probably right. Reading is believing, so read it and feel the power only Koontz can portray.
on 9 November 2013
This book, despite the fact you need a crane to lift it after a while, is my favourite by this author and I've read all of them. It has an ensemble cast of characters all different ages and from various places in America but Dean Koontz captures them all perfectly from the young Jewish/Scandinavian doctor to the hi-tec thief with the tragic past. I have to admit that after a while the list of possibilities as to what happened shrinks drastically and you can guess where it is going but I never once feel like it detracts from the story.
I've had two paperback copies of this book, the first of which fell to pieces from overuse and having it available on my kindle enables me to take it and many other Koontz tales everywhere with me without needing a wheelbarrow because that first copy, the one that I broke the binding on, lived permanently in my handbag.
I know it's a lot of pages but you won't regret reading this book.
on 6 October 1999
A book which you cannot be found is a rarity, however Strangers moves through the 700+ pages with speed, suspense and some superb character development.
Unlike many other books, having read the first 50 pages I had no idea what the remainder of the story would bring, and as the pages kept turning I found myself drawn deep into the tale.
Fans of any genre will enjoy this book - I thoroughly recommend that you read it
on 15 February 2000
This is a wonderful book, I cannot recommend it enough. You find yourself pondering the issues it raises months after finishing it! One of the very best Koontz book. How the hell does he do it!
on 19 February 2016
I've been a Dean Koontz fan since childhood, after my father introduced me to him (I was reading Koontz when most kids were still reading The BFG). I devoured a lot of his earlier novels, and have recently re-read a few, including Strangers. Now I remember why I didn't quite put this in the league of Watchers, Lightning or Midnight.

It's a good book, but it improves drastically after the first two thirds. There are three major flaws, I feel. Firstly, he draws out the beginning far, far too much. Sometimes Dean can revel absurdly in unnecessary detail, and the first two thirds of Strangers includes some of his worst waffling. A prime example is a character who is a junior doctor, and we are treated to every single detail of an operation she carries out. Page after page... Does this have any bearing on the character or story at all? None, beyond establishing she is a skilled surgeon, which is already shown in previous chapters. There are numerous sections like this. Reading it again after all these years, I found myself especially skimming the parts dedicated to the professional thief. He's reasonably interesting as a character, but his parts have little-to-no bearing on the plot after establishing his skill. It was just waffle to fill out the pages. I found myself beginning to dislike the character not because he wasn't interesting or sympathetic, but just because I wanted to get on with the damn story!

Secondly, there is the core mystery of the book. The most basic element of this mystery (what it is) is not the most important revelation at the finale. The reader can see the most straight forward element of the mystery coming, but Dean drags it out by even having characters discover the truth before the reader, and then tell others 'off-screen' so-to-speak! It's a terrible way to draw a mystery out, and it was a factor that could have been revealed earlier as a build-up to the overall deeper mystery of how and why.

Thirdly, 'The Moon' mystery is deeply ingrained in some of the characters, as a traumatic focal point of The Event. Then, when you find out why, it feels like a weak, flimsy and manipulative excuse for the 'moon' symbolism.

Having said all that, I did enjoy Strangers. It's one of Dean's better (though not best) novels, and the mystery reveal at the end makes it all feel worthwhile, even reading again after such a long time. What I would say is this... don't be put off reading the book, but don't feel you have to read every bit of the first two thirds. You can skim-read a lot of it, and get back to reading it properly once the characters all meet up.
on 4 October 2014
I really enjoyed this epic tale by Dean Koontz. He has put an awful lot of detail into this story and has done a great deal of research. In many ways it's a powerful book and it says lot about humanity in it's different guises.

There lots of great character development and you feel you can relate to most of them with ease. Five strangers from across America plagued by irrational nightmares, somnambulism, phobias and anxiety eventually come together to try and find out the cause of their problems.

I found it to be a character driven novel with lots of psychological suspense and with a touch of the paranormal and SciFi thrown in for good measure. Stephen King apparently lists it as Dean Koontz's best novel and it's easy to see why as the story is a little similar to what King himself maybe would write.

Most readers will have solved the mystery at round about page 80 to 100, and the author obviously realises this as he weaves in a counter plot as a bit of a red herring. Because of this the climax is not so much 'in your face' but is done with a good deal of subtly. Solving the mystery early on does not compromise the enjoyment of this story, thanks to the cleverness of the author.

The main body of the story is more 'build up' and the reveal only comes at the very end, and as such the final premise has it's flaws leaving more questions than answers, but I wont go into any further detail as to do so would probably give away the whole plot before you have even opened the book. Suffice to say that flaws and all it's one of Dean Koontz best novels and well worth reading.
on 14 October 1999
Strangers contains some of Dean Koontz's best charaterisation. You find yourself emphasising with them all. The plot is complex and although long, far from tedious. The conclusion is satisfyingly thought provoking.
on 15 August 2012
This is not a bad book, it starts well with plenty of suspense and the different character situations are interesting. There is some well handed action scenes.

However the ending and explanation is guessable from about 50 pages in, and to be honest predictable. I kind of gave up with it right at the end.